P22 Pickup Problem

Great; thanks for the links!

What do you mean by a "splice" in the wire?

The pickups in mine aren't the ones in the video; so I would imagine these would be the originals. If so, perhaps they weren't 53/10s?
Mine look like this:
You said your guitar was the exact one in the video. That guitar has pickups with the square bobbins, which 59/09 pickups didn't have until just recently. The ones in the pictures in this reply are definitely 59/09s. I stopped the video at 4:39 and it looks like a splice in the negative wire going to the battery. My 53/10 pickups in my P22 are covered.

Did you get a hang tag with the guitar? That should state what pickups came in it stock. I have a P22 Trem that came with uncovered 57/08 pickups with the square bobbins. These are not something PRS typically makes and sells or puts in their guitars. This particular guitar is also a custom color for the model. They do some one off things like this at times but it would be noted on the hang tag. Another way to find this out is to send the serial number to PRS customer service and ask them for the build specs on the guitar. The will send them to you so you will know what the guitar was built with originally.

Thanks. I have no details on which pickups were fitted originally. I will contact Customer Service as you suggested.

I've just noticed that both pickups on my guitar have been installed with the screw poles facing the bridge. This is surely incorrect? It seemed to sound OK.

I've just noticed that both pickups on my guitar have been installed with the screw poles facing the bridge. This is surely incorrect? It seemed to sound OK.
This may be indicative of an issue. They probably put them in that way because the pickups are magnetically in phase with each other and to work with the piezo system they need to be out of phase with each other. They thought that mounting the neck pickup with the screws toward the bridge would fix that. It won't. There are really only two ways to fix it. You could flip the magnet in the neck pickup or swap two of the wires when you wire it up. Swapping the wires is probably the easiest. Although, depending on how much stuff is in the wiring cavity and how crowded it is, it could be easier to flip the magnet in the pickup by pulling it without unhooking it. This is where that tool I mentioned really comes in handy. You would know in a couple of seconds if they are magnetically in phase.

You could flip the magnet in the neck pickup or swap two of the wires when you wire it up. Swapping the wires is probably the easiest.
If that's the case, then I'll do that. I'm a bit worried about potentially breaking the pickup by taking it apart.

I think you may be right about what occurred; in fact, I might go so far as to surmise that it's one of the reasons the previous owner sold the guitar. Perhaps he didn't get the result he was expecting. However, I've never noticed the guitar to sound "wrong" until now. There was definitely a change when I plugged it in the other day and the Bridge p/u output was coming from the tap, not the full humbucker.

I ordered a little magnet polarity tester similar to what you suggested, and will test the pickups before reinstalling the bridge one (which I have removed). I've also taken readings off the pickups with a multimeter, and there's no sign of a broken coil on either of them.

Last edited:
I mentioned that in previous post.

They are labeled p22 regardless of 5310 or 5708.
It may be hard to tell the difference with them as well because they are in a similar DC resistance range so measuring them is probably not going to tell us much.

If that's the case, then I'll do that. I'm a bit worried about potentially breaking the pickup by taking it apart.

I think you may be right about what occurred; in fact, I might go so far as to surmise that it's one of the reasons the previous owner sold the guitar. Perhaps he didn't get the result he was expecting. However, I've never noticed the guitar to sound "wrong" until now. There was definitely a change when I plugged it in the other day and the Bridge p/u output was coming from the tap, not the full humbucker.

I ordered a little magnet polarity tester similar to what you suggested, and will test the pickups before reinstalling the bridge one (which I have removed). I've also taken readings off the pickups with a multimeter, and there's no sign of a broken coil on either of them.
I would flip the neck pickup around so the screws are facing the fretboard. Then check their magnetic phase. They are probably the same. If they are, you will need to swap the hot and ground wires on one of them. You will be surprised at how much better it sounds in the middle position after that.

Another thing I didn't think to ask you is what type of switching does yours have on it?

I purchased a used P22 around 6 years ago The previous owner had replaced the original pickups with a set of 59/09s, and until recently I had no issues with how it played. However, the bridge pickup suddenly seems to have stopped outputting full humbucking tones and appears to be locked in single-coil mode. The neck pickup also seems to have lost output but only in switch position 2 (single-coil mode). I downloaded a wiring schematic for the P22 and verified the connections; I then tried disconnecting the pickup, trimming the contacts and then re-soldering. However, it is still the same.

I am at a loss as to whether this is purely a wiring issue or whether I need to buy new pickups, and if so which ones I should get. Would it be safer to buy a set of 53/10s which I think were the original spec, or another set of 59/09s (since I know what they sound like)? Hoping someone can advise.
I’d suspect the splitter switch.

5-way blade. I'm not sure which coils are supposed to be active in the split positions though.
I found an old thread on here where someone sent their P22 into the PTC to have a push pull mod done to it so it should work. I have two solid body PRS guitars with the Piezo system in them. If I get a chance I can look in the cases to see if there is a switching diagram in there.

I found an old thread on here where someone sent their P22 into the PTC to have a push pull mod done to it so it should work. I have two solid body PRS guitars with the Piezo system in them. If I get a chance I can look in the cases to see if there is a switching diagram in there.
Great, thanks.

Here is what the book that came with one of my P22 guitars says on the 5 way.

P1: (down) Treble pickup
P2: Treble humbucking pickup and bass single coil
P3: Treble and bass humbucking pickups
P4: Treble slug coil and bass single coil
P5: (up) bass pickup

It doesn't have a coil tap.

Here is what the book that came with one of my P22 guitars says on the 5 way.

P1: (down) Treble pickup
P2: Treble humbucking pickup and bass single coil
P3: Treble and bass humbucking pickups
P4: Treble slug coil and bass single coil
P5: (up) bass pickup

It doesn't have a coil tap.
Thanks. That seems right, according to the wiring diagram I have.

You did. Sorry, I missed that post.
As mentioned, the impedance between the two pickups is kinda close but they should be different enough to tell them apart.

5708s are all over the place depending on what year any given 5708 was released but I'm going to guess the "p22" 5708s should be in a tight range.

I've got some p22 5310s if you need the resistance numbers to go by.

As mentioned, the impedance between the two pickups is kinda close but they should be different enough to tell them apart.

5708s are all over the place depending on what year any given 5708 was released but I'm going to guess the "p22" 5708s should be in a tight range.

I've got some p22 5310s if you need the resistance numbers to go by.
The 53/10 pickups in my P22 measurements are;

Treble: 8.72k
Bass: 8.03k

As a side note, the P22 that I have with 57/08 pickups in it have uncovered 57/08 pickups. I have only seen them like this is in the P22 guitars. They are also of the hotter variety.

Back