Need help wiring 57/08 bass and treble pickup : Standard config

lcjaubrey

I'm trying to install a set of 57/08 pickups in a standard setup which consists of 2 volume pots and 1 tone pot. No coil splitting etc...

My treble pickup consists of a braided wire, black wire (within braided wire) and a white wire on its own. I assume bare is ground, black is hot and I would tap off the white wire, since it is not required.

My bass pickup consist of 4 wires. A braided wire, white, red and black. Is black also hot in this case? What do I do with the remaining wires?

Thank you

So to suit my needs, I would disregard the red wire on the bass pickup and connect both the white and bare wire to ground?

So to suit my needs, I would disregard the red wire on the bass pickup and connect both the white and bare wire to ground?
Yes. Another thing I just thought about is you will want to check to see if the pickups you have are magnetically in phase. If they sound weak and thin when running in the middle position after you wire them up, swap the black and white wires on the one with more wires.

Meaning, the white and black wires on the bass pickup are interchangeable if the pickups are in or out of phase, correct?

Why PRS doesn't offer a wiring diagram with their $400 sets of pickups is unfathomable.

So elitist and inconsiderate.

And such an all day hassle if you don't know one pickup is magnetically out of phase.

But PRS doesn't bother to mention that or give any warning.

That's the elitist and inconsiderate part.

Yep, you got it.
So I hooked everything up as described and all is good! However, I noticed the braided wire on the bass pickup also contained another white wire which I clipped and ignored.

Just wondering what this other white wire is used for??? Instructions would sure be handy :)

So I hooked everything up as described and all is good! However, I noticed the braided wire on the bass pickup also contained another white wire which I clipped and ignored.

Just wondering what this other white wire is used for??? Instructions would sure be handy :)
Sorry it took so long to answer. I had to go into the office this week. They ended up canceling the meetings for the rest of the week so here I am. :)

Are you saying that the bass (neck) pickup had two white wires? If it was just one, that is the tap wire.

Sí. Otra cosa en la que acabo de pensar es que querrás comprobar si las pastillas que tienes están magnéticamente en fase. Si suenan débiles y delgados cuando se ejecutan en la posición media después de conectarlos, cambie los cables blanco y negro por uno que tenga más cables.
need help, I installed some 57/08 in my Santana SE, I didn't put split coil or anything like that, it is like original, so I removed the original pickups, and installed the 08, this way, treble pick black cable to slug 1 of selector 3 position, bare wire to ground, and the white wire to ground, bass pick white wire to position 3 of the 3 position selector, bare wire to ground, and black wire to ground, in both, the red wire simply Now eliminate my doubt, how do I know that when I put the 3-position selector in the middle, the 2 pickups are really being heard at the same time? to check I touched the screws of the pickup and if they sound, but if for example I play on the part that is covered, on the treble side the sound is very low and it seems that it is the sound of the pickup screw that it picks up That hit, how do I check that both humbuckers are fully working at the same time?

need help, I installed some 57/08 in my Santana SE, I didn't put split coil or anything like that, it is like original, so I removed the original pickups, and installed the 08, this way, treble pick black cable to slug 1 of selector 3 position, bare wire to ground, and the white wire to ground, bass pick white wire to position 3 of the 3 position selector, bare wire to ground, and black wire to ground, in both, the red wire simply Now eliminate my doubt, how do I know that when I put the 3-position selector in the middle, the 2 pickups are really being heard at the same time? to check I touched the screws of the pickup and if they sound, but if for example I play on the part that is covered, on the treble side the sound is very low and it seems that it is the sound of the pickup screw that it picks up That hit, how do I check that both humbuckers are fully working at the same time?
Sounds like you have it correct.

To relieve some of your doubt...
If they're not both working 100% in the middle position, one or both of them is not 100% in the bass/treble position.

You good on how you wired the tone and output?

Sounds like you have it correct.

To relieve some of your doubt...
If they're not both working 100% in the middle position, one or both of them is not 100% in the bass/treble position.

You good on how you wired the tone and output?
The tone pot, conect like this, earth conect to earth volume pot, and middle slug of tone pot conect to the first slug of volume pot, and output, to jack, earth conect 3 slug of volume pot, and 2 slug of volume pot conect hot cable to jack, how comprobe the humbuckers works all in the middle position?

Back