So... any updates on the NF53?

ruger9

Anyone have one yet? How's the honeymoon going? Was the nut width ever verified ("less than 1-5/8" I saw on an earlier thread, and that seems crazy to me)...

I'm a tele guy, would love a noiseless one, and LOVE the white and black doghair finishes... currently have a DGT which is great, but I find the neck a little fat for my tastes...

Yeah, I figure it wouldn't be a hit over at TDPRI... they're pretty much traditionalists. But I like that place, alot of good people there.

The NF53 is very Cabronita-esque, IMO. Especially the pickguard and humbucking pickups.

Yeah, I figure it wouldn't be a hit over at TDPRI... they're pretty much traditionalists. But I like that place, alot of good people there.
Agreed, I wouldn't think they'd give it much thought because it doesn't kick open the door quite the same as the SS did. It's more of a PRS that has some telesque qualities than a Tele PRS to me.

I haven't been over there in a while, but good place and people. Invaluable resource building my partscaster tele.

I think it's a tele... perhaps not as much as a Silver Sky is a strat, but it's tele: 25-1/2" scale, tele shape, the NFDD pickups reportedly sound like fat single coils, the strings are anchored to the body (through the bridge)... I don't think body contours or the PRS headstock disqualify it from being a tele-type. It's like a tele on steroids, or a perfected Cabronita.

And while TDPRI is balking at the price ($3000 for a TELE?!?!?)... PRS quality is 100%; the NF53 no doubt has Fender Custom Shop level quality (and those teles are at least $4000)

And while TDPRI is balking at the price ($3000 for a TELE?!?!?)... PRS quality is 100%; the NF53 no doubt has Fender Custom Shop level quality (and those teles are at least $4000)
They're into Classic Vibes and even the Harley Benton stuff...of course with lots of exceptions.
I don't see PRS owners dressing up like Marty Stuart or cousin Kenny either. Lol!

We should be questioning the price, not because it's $3k for sorta tele guitar, but that it's $3k. The lack of presence in the wild and posts support this. Heck, I won't say the discount percentage, but on launch week I was offered hefty discounts by more than one dealer, and still get unsolicited offers as recent as yesterday. Admittedly, those are more in the realm of reality, but I have an issue with dealers and small businesses having to shoulder the price cuts.

Still a cool guitar and love me some PRS, but the lack of acceptance by the masses goes beyond a tele thing.

Admittedly, those are more in the realm of reality, but I have an issue with dealers and small businesses having to shoulder the price cuts.
I watched a video with Paul in it answering questions...or it was a fireside...
But...Paul seemed to imply this SE 20% discount was aided to the dealers, with PRS helping along the way too...IOW, implying wholesale prices were dropped as well, so as not to hurt their dealers.

I watched a video with Paul in it answering questions...or it was a fireside...
But...Paul seemed to imply this SE 20% discount was aided to the dealers, with PRS helping along the way too...IOW, implying wholesale prices were dropped as well, so as not to hurt their dealers.
Yes, the se sale was a PRS thing. Doesn't apply to discounts dealer take out of their margins for non se guitars.

Considering I paid $5K for my DGT, and I'm not the biggest fan of the neck profile, $3000 for the NF53 is perfectly reasonable (assuming I love it): for a guitar I know will be perfect out of the box. I won't have to fiddle with it and change stuff (and you can't change the pickups: the proprietary thing bothers me, but if I LIKE them, all is well...)

I've gone the route of trying to "upgrade" the Fenders... pickups, new saddles that intonate properly... I'm just done messing with stuff. I just want a guitar to WORK, perfectly, out of the box. Like my DGT and EBMM Luke III.

We should be questioning the price, not because it's $3k for sorta tele guitar, but that it's $3k. The lack of presence in the wild and posts support this. Heck, I won't say the discount percentage, but on launch week I was offered hefty discounts by more than one dealer, and still get unsolicited offers as recent as yesterday.
I don't have personal knowledge of this, but I was told that they were PRS' hottest seller at Christmastime.

They're backordered already at my dealer. I'm not a Tele player so I have no dog in this hunt.

I don't have personal knowledge of this, but I was told that they were PRS' hottest seller at Christmastime.
There's a thread over in the News section that links to the below news article about PRS's yearly sales, and how the NF53 and MK models were their best sellers for 2023, despite being released in June:

Original source is (supposedly) PRS's Instagram. They don't seem to mention it anywhere on the PRS Website.

I strongly suspect those models sold like hotcakes to serious studio musicians and to PRS fans who always wanted a T-style (like me, but I'm still saving up, so no NF53 for shinksma yet...). And that's why there are so few on the used market.

I would LOVE to own a NF53, but early 2023 I made an agreement with my wife (family CFO) that my new DGT is my last guitar. One of the things that draws me to the NF is its use of proprietary pickups. Also like the fact that it's a unique take on the Tele design. Wish it had the traditional 25" PRS scale length though... which sends me more in the direction of the Studio model... but again it's a mute point-- I'm (rather happily) not allowed a new guitar anytime soon LOL!

After the Silver Sky came out I started asking when the Tele would come out , the Vela was a nice try and its a great guitar.
The NF53 is a rock machine , sounds killer with gain. I'm hoping to get a try at an MK to hear the difference.
As far as price goes its in the same ballpark as the Silver Sky , Fiore , I also don't pay that much attention to MSRP as most any dealer will do better on most guitars.
I am very happy now that I have had time with it , almost didn't buy it because the Santana Retro that was also in the store sounded so huge with the gear I was playing thru , glad I brought them both home.

NF53 with Boogie by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/

I know the question is about the NF53, but I own the MK Hunter Green. Its not quite a 3k guitar as you should be able to find your usual discounts. I did buy a hardshell case extra for it though. The build quality is good (but not as good as my 4k Tele CS, IMO).

I'm not exactly sure how much of this applies to the NF53: On the MK, the neck is not wide but it is pretty rounded and thick. Not sure about the narrow field pickups yet, still working with them. Not liking them with higher gain. They seem a little thin at full volume then tonally much darker at 9. Big tone drop on mine (which could be fixed, but then what's the point).

My least favorite parts of this guitar are the electronics (tone pull), volume taper and what seem like cheap tiny tuner buttons. This would not be my go to guitar. I still like it, but imo I'm thinking its priced a little high for what it is.

They're backordered already at my dealer. I'm not a Tele player so I have no dog in this hunt.
I know you're loyal to your dealer and I would be too if I was you, but there's 50 new NF53 on reverb right now, not counting the MK. I know you're not in the market, but those that are and aren't dealer loyal..

I would LOVE to own a NF53, but early 2023 I made an agreement with my wife (family CFO) that my new DGT is my last guitar.

"I'll never buy another guitar" is kind of a desperation contract, isn't it? But I have a strategy for ya...

"Hon, we have to talk."

"What do you want now?"

"Help me decide whether to start taking heroin or start sniffing glue."

"Whaaaat? Why?!!"

"Ever since I agreed not to shop for guitars, my feelings of self-worth and independence have been crushed, and I have no purpose in life. I need to dull the pain. I realize this might cost me my job and everything we've built together over the years, but I'm just dejected. A person needs an outlet, and new guitars provide that for me."

Granted this entails some risk. The response might be:

a) "Aww, honey, I didn't realize that guitar buying meant that much to you, of COURSE you should go out and buy as many guitars as you want but no drugs, K?;", or

b) "Then I'm divorcing you and marrying the hot yoga instructor who likes me;" or,

c) "I can't decide, honey, I do both. Let's shoot up together and then decide!"

If it's (a) you're off the hook. Contract cancelled. If it's (b) it's going to be more of a headache at first, but the contract will still be cancelled.

If it's (c) you're still under contract, making it it's the least acceptable choice, but the good news is you won't mind because you'll be zonked all the time. The drawback is that in addition to not buying guitars, you'll have other problems to deal with, like how to get your guitars back from the pawn shop, where to go to the bathroom when you have to sleep in an abandoned car, etc.

Would I take that risk myself? I don't know. There are times I follow my own advice, and times I don't.

I know you're loyal to your dealer and I would be too if I was you, but there's 50 new NF53 on reverb right now, not counting the MK. I know you're not in the market, but those that are and aren't dealer loyal..

Dealers sell on reverb, so it doesn't surprise me!

Last edited:
Back