SE Zach Myers pickups info, for coil splitting (magnetic polarity)

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by STEVE SS, Aug 2, 2017.

1. STEVE SS

STEVE SS New Member

Hi everybody!
    I 'm new in this forum and I ended up here searching information for the G&B pickups that my SE Zach Myers is equipped .

Basicaly I wanted to modify the pickups so as to have a coil splitting with 2 tone push/pull pots.
    I found some videos for how to and some wirring diagrams (especially from Seymour Duncan's site) and I proceed to the "operation" of Zach Myers.
    There I found out that the G&B pickups are wired with a 2 conductor wire !! (Hot and a bare one)!!! As it is known you can't do coil splitting with such a wire.

So I tried to modify them in 4 conductor wire conductors.
    And there came the problems :
    What' s the magnetic polarity of each single pickup of humbuckers?
    Is it (in order from bridge to neck) N-S for Bridge and
    S-N for Neck ?? or otherwise??
    I think that it should be N-S, N-S but a test with compass showed that the polarity is N-S, S-N :(!!!
    Doing something wrong here??

Any help is welcomed

#1 STEVE SS, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. WayneW

WayneW New Member

I have a similar question. I'm replacing the Alpha pots in my Zach Myers with CTS pots and replacing the selector switch with a Free-Way Ultra 6 position switch to get out of phase sounds. In looking at the wiring, I have two wiring harnesses, one from each pickup. Each wiring harness has 4 wires: red (hot), black (ground), and a green wire and white wire which are taped together. The diagram for my Free-Way Ultra switch requires that I know which are the North/South Start and Finish wires for each pickup, but without a polarity tester, have no way of knowing. If anyone could tell me which of the green and white wires are North or South and Start or Finish, I'd appreciate it.

3. WayneW

WayneW New Member

I found some videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to determine which wires are which in a pickup. Using a multimeter and the techniques I saw on YouTube, here's the breakdown of color codes to wires on a PRS SE Zach Myers (and probably for all other PRS pickups as well):

Neck and Bridge: North Start Black, North Finish White; South Start Red, South Finish Green.

Polarity (determined by magnetic polarity tester): Both Pickups Screw Coil is South, Slug Coil is North.

Hope this helps!