Replacement Bridges?

LJD

I'm seeing fixed saddle bridges for sale on the PRS site (store) but it looks like the adjustable saddle bridges are no longer on the site. Are they still available? Also, are either available in nickel? (site says "polished aluminium").

When changing bridges is it necessary to change the studs?

Similarly, and not to hijack your thread, there's a Wilkinson bridge for sale online locally where the B and G strings are adjustable for intonation. Is this really necessary? Got a McCarty due tomorrow. Any reason to suppose it'd even need an adjustable bridge?

My .02. The stock PRS bridge is simple but elegant. I tried an adjustable bridge on my HBII and promptly changed back.
with 10's I really had no intonation issues.

My .02. The stock PRS bridge is simple but elegant. I tried an adjustable bridge on my HBII and promptly changed back.
with 10's I really had no intonation issues.

I'd like to try a PRS fixed saddle (non adj.) bridge on my HBII. Can you describe the difference and why you preferred the non adjustable?

The adjustable stoptail is currently out of stock, but should be back online in the near future.

The straight stoptail works great for 9 or 10 gauge strings and Paul feels the solid mass sounds better than the adjustable version.

The bridge is unplated, polished aluminum. It is what we used for all guitars receiving Nickel hardware. in 2008 we stopped plating the bridge because Paul (yeah, that guy) feels the bridge sounds better without the plating. Some people accused us of trying to cheapen out by doing away with the plating, but the bridges actually require more work and cost more money without the plating. With plating it's possible to hide minor imperfections. When naked metal is being used, there isn't any plating to hide behind.

I'd like to try a PRS fixed saddle (non adj.) bridge on my HBII. Can you describe the difference and why you preferred the non adjustable?

Just one guitar and one guy's experience but I felt that the guitar sustained better and the highs were a little rounder. The main reason a went back to the stock bridge was mechanics....
I like a really low action....the stock bridges are lower profile than the adjustable ones so they allow a broader range of height adjustment.

Back