Black Bernie Arrives Today...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Oy vey...one more.

This ones coming with NO PICKUPS and NO BRIDGE. My suggestion to get the price down to $500. I didn't want the previous owners pickup replacements or replacement bridge.

A set of locking tuners and an adjustable MannMade bridge are also arriving today so it's going to be a fun day!

I am super tempted to order a second set of Wolfetone Marshallheads for it. Wolfe's sale is still on.

I like the ALNICO 2 version because they sound like a slightly more aggressive PRS 57/08. My favorite PRS "paf" style pickup.

I have a set of 57/08's on hand. I'll probably put them in. Only problem is they have brushed nickel covers and I really want to see some double cream pickups against that black finish.

I like the look of this black SE Singlecut. That's what I want Black Bernie to look like.

Last edited:
Getting a feeling that sometime in the future you'll do a black Bernie Soapie with white covers.
Is there such a thing? I'd have to use humbucker size P90's or something.

But I spent a few hours recording my SE Soapbar yesterday. Has Bare Knuckle P90's. It records well.

Sounded really good through the Tascam Model 12 just played direct with some reverb.

I was using it almost like an acoustic guitar and had it tuned to an open D chord.

I'm having a hard time getting the effects adjusted loud enough tho.

Not using the aux 1 and 2 correctly I think.

Need some more coaching.

The previous owner removed the tone pot and replaced it with a coil splitting switch. He kept the switch and stuck a little plastic plug in the hole before shipping it to me.

I'll restore it to two volumes and a tone, but use a push/pull for the tone so I can split the pickups.

The locking tuners and MannMade bridge all showed up too.

Love it! Killing the Bernie's, Lew
For me, they're the most comfortable, easiest playing and best sounding of any of my PRS guitars.

I have five SE Bernies, one SE Soapbar Singlecut, two SE Silver Skys and three CE22's from 97, 98 and 00.

Love those old original CE22's too.

So most of my PRS guitars are SE's that I've upgraded into professional guitars.

Last edited:
For me, they're the most comfortable, easiest playing and best sounding of any of my PRS guitars.

I have five Bernies, one SE Soapbar Singlecut, two SE Silver Skys and three CE22's from 97, 98 and 00.

Love those old original CE22's too.

So most of my PRS guitars are SE's that I've upgraded into professional guitars.
I really have to agree. When I had my Bernie it was always one that I would grab first. I upgraded all electronics, Phase III tuners, Core nut, MannMade bridge, and BK Abraxas pickups. That guitar was a serious rock monster. Sold it to someone here, IIRC.

Is there such a thing? I'd have to use humbucker size P90's or something.
Not that I'm aware of and that's why it could be so cool.

The bucker sized P90's would be easiest, but with a black top and if you have any buddies that are skilled woodworkers with the right routing tools & a fair amount of effort including matching the black finish, it could be a true Soapie. And you'd probably never be able to sell it for what would make the effort worthwhile. Anyway, easy to think of but hard to do.

I am considering using that old Gibson P90 of yours to go into (instead of the LP Dlx with mini-hums) into a '85 MIJ Squier ST-331 Gibson scale superstrat that has a single HB. Since it's already routed for the HB, there's enough space for the P90 & all I need to do is rout a new P90 Strat pickgaurd from a blank which a friend is willing to do.

Edit: Just saw the pics and it looks great! Whatever you do with it I'm sure will be awesome.

Not that I'm aware of and that's why it could be so cool.

The bucker sized P90's would be easiest, but with a black top and if you have any buddies that are skilled woodworkers with the right routing tools & a fair amount of effort including matching the black finish, it could be a true Soapie. And you'd probably never be able to sell it for what would make the effort worthwhile. Anyway, easy to think of but hard to do.

I am considering using that old Gibson P90 of yours to go into (instead of the LP Dlx with mini-hums) into a '85 MIJ Squier ST-331 Gibson scale superstrat that has a single HB. Since it's already routed for the HB, there's enough space for the P90 & all I need to do is rout a new P90 Strat pickgaurd from a blank which a friend is willing to do.

Edit: Just saw the pics and it looks great! Whatever you do with it I'm sure will be awesome.
I think that old Gibson P90 would be dynamite in a one P90 guitar like the PRS SE One.

Back