Prs moving away from V12?

PRS is known for constant improvement. If the finish works, let them worry about!

Like so many other parts of the guitar, that are designed to be user friendly and last.

The finish, including V12, has always been various formulas consisting of a polyester base coat and an acrylic urethane top coat. It's just that the exact recipe gets tweaked periodically. I's a similar story with nitrocellulose. The nitro that's being used today by many manufacturers, is quite a bit a different from the nitro of yore. The finish used before V12 was never named and the finish we've used since V12 hasn't been named either.

Thanks Shawn. Good to know.

We love and care for all the unicorns in the world. In fact, Paul has a free-range ranch on Kent Island where unicorns can frolic near the bay. He also offers a save haven to Pegasus' (pegasi?) as well
These must be Unicorns with Pernambuco necks, Dragon Inlays, ultra-Low serial numbers...

Or the people that make them.

The finish, including V12, has always been various formulas consisting of a polyester base coat and an acrylic urethane top coat. It's just that the exact recipe gets tweaked periodically. I's a similar story with nitrocellulose. The nitro that's being used today by many manufacturers, is quite a bit a different from the nitro of yore. The finish used before V12 was never named and the finish we've used since V12 hasn't been named either.

May wanna update the FAQ... http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/faq.html

Paul has moved on from V12. It's similar to why we now have Phase III locking tuners and Phase III trems and Adjustable Stoptail Bridge with Brass saddles and 58/15's are now used instead of 57/8 pickups. Paul is constantly refining the product. IIRC, we stopped using V12 in 2013.

Thanks for clearing that up Shawn...one more question, what did you guys do with the unicorns? o_OPlease don't say...glue factory...if it was the glue factory....I don't wanna know..

Pretty old news. Years ago now. But, some of the initial runs of V12 guitars had guitars where the top coat would peel completely off. It was mostly the necks that were prone and it usually started where the rosewood board met the mahogany. Again..very old news.

Lol. I had an early V12 adopter... a 2011 PRS Experience Custom 24. The V12 started peeling off along the entire neck where the fretboard meets the neck. I could not play it without losing pieces. I called it my leper guitar. Anyway I finally called PRS and they refinished the ENTIRE guitar for a little more than the price of shipping. Not much of an explanation or apology for the V12 but kind of an implicit understanding that guitars with V12 just need fixing. I recently wanted a 2018 refinished and they quoted me 1500.00... yikes...

Any reference for the finish flaking? I hadn't heard that.

Most dealers still say V12 finish on their guitars.

yup

edit: I should say, most dealers either say V12, or don't mention the finish composition at all.

As fas as I concern, PRS didn´t even announce issues that were faced by customers with regard to severe fuzz/buzz noise as they introduced point-to-point soldering at 513s around 2014. In general any issue with PRS quality is addressed to the dealer.

Back