NGD: SC58 Stripped

The Bird

Just got my first impressions of a SC58 Stripped that arrived today. Played it for about 45 minutes, but had then to get back to work. :)

First, some (not so great) photos:

It’s from 2012. I got this guitar for very practical reasons. It’s supposed to be my #1 do-it-all rocker that I take to band practice, jams, gigs etc. Not a case queen.

My favorite guitar is my PRS McCarty 594 SC Wood Library from 2018. That one doesn’t really leave the house - it’s too special for me that I don’t want anything to happen to it. This 58 is a bit more rock n’roll and has some little scuffs and dings in the body (very small, though, but it’s not collector condition).

Comparing between the two, a few observations come to mind: first, this 58 Stripped is WAY lighter than my McCarty. Probably about 2 pounds lighter. The 57/08 pickups are also more classic sounding than the 58/15 LTs, which are very unique IMO (and the best!). These 57/08s are hotter and sound a lot like Gibson Burstbuckers. Maybe a touch more dynamic but definitely a similar, classic PAF sound. Fantastic (no splitsies, though).

What I like most about PRS singlecuts when compares to Gibsons is the neck joint. It’s SO MUCH EASIER to play in the upper register than classic Les Pauls. It’s almost as easy as playing a double cut.

The neck is exactly like my Starla neck - Pattern carve, I believe. Not quite as big as the Pattern Vintage in my McCarty. Really great fit for me.

The V12 finish feels different, a tad stickier than my other PRSi, but still great. No problems there. Frets and everything are impeccable.

I love the unbound fretboard. It feels more like my Custom 24 or Starla than my McCarty, which is obviously bound. I prefer no binding.

The sounds are fantastic, definitely more vintage Les Paul accurate than the McCarty with 58/15 LTs. I noticed I prefer the 57/08s a little rolled back, not full throttle. Appears a little more cutting that way.

Oh, and moon inlays!

All in all, it is exactly what I was hoping for. A classic singlecut sound with dynamic and versatile pickups, good weight for 3+ hours of standing up, rock n’ roll looks, and impeccable craftsmanship. I give it full marks!

Nice score! Congrats!

Your assessment of the difference between the 57/08s and the 58/15s is exactly why I changed the pickups in my 594 over to 57/08s. I use my guitars at live shows and I didn't like the volume drop off of the stock pickups in the 594. The 57/08s in my 594 are hotter than the pickups in my SC-58. That is good and bad. I like the punch the 594 has with the hotter 57/08s in it. However, if I took the 594 and SC-58 to the same gig and swapped guitars, I would not like that difference because the SC-58 would push my pedals and amp less and that affects the level of gain on my OD.

Congratulations! I'd like to see some brighter photos of that beautiful guitar!

I have a 2012 SC58 very much like it but in more of a tobacco sunburst, but with some gold/honey tones.

The neck is more comfortable than whatever the neck shape on my 90's CE22's is. Wide/Full? My '00 CE22 has the same shape.

It also feels a little less bulky than the necks on my Bernie Marsdens altho I like that round chunky neck shape a lot.

Last edited:
Congrats on that one! How about a family photo?

Sweet top!
I’m definitely going to do that soon! Gotta take some better pictures anyway. I think I’ll have some time this weekend to do that.

This is one of those perfect used guitars where you can feel that it has been played a lot but it has zero problems.

Like old but new. Plays like butter.

You got a good looking one, for sure! The Stripped 58 is honestly quite far from being "stripped down." I do believe they're one of the biggest bangs for the buck and for sure one of the underappreciated gems (mostly/somewhat, unless you have one) of PRS's product history.

Smokin' Stripper 58! Congrats, amazing guitars. My personal favorite SC, well my Tremonti is hard to argue, but both are for very different strengths. My SC58 prompted me to get rid of all my singlecuts, besides a lone Les Paul. And pickup a Tremonti. Enjoy

You got a good looking one, for sure! The Stripped 58 is honestly quite far from being "stripped down."
Exactly. And in my case here, I believe the Stripped is better for me than the…er, Clothed one.

It’s so fancy that it’s undeniably a core PRS, but subtle enough to also be totally rock n’ roll. I wouldn’t have bought an Artist grade one, even if it cost less than this. Well, maybe I would have, but I still would have needed this too. :)

Back