PRS Heaven

I feel you. I remember how many independent stores there were back in the day. It is basically Tom Lee and L&M now. I look at L&M's website and even though they list a lot of guitars, few are in stock. There have been times where I checked and delivery time on a guitar is more than 6 months. To me that is basically unavailable.

They are a pet peeve of mine these days. I was at my local L&M a few years back to buy some .009 gauge high Es and they were out. HTF does that even happen?
I remember going to the Van L&M 10 years ago and seeing/fondling a good many core PRSi. Now they have a very few. The other L&M shops I visit have zero, rarely even SE or S2.
I've never had a prob finding NYXL 9s though...

I can see occasional shorts or out of stocks on particular parts/accessories. The buying public cannot be predicted in many cases, but inventories these days are often computer controlled algorithms. Min/max is volume based and as such is often not accurate. No computer can predict a run on anything.
But L&M always has oodles of guitars on the rack if you are a Fender or Gibson lover. I am not, never have been. And it's not only PRS that is rare with them, seldom see a Rickenbacker, Gretsch, or even Jacksons on the walls. I get it that "most" of the world wants a Strat, a Tele or a LP, SG (Squire or Epiphone too) but a lot of us want to hold, feel and play before we buy. But that hasn't ever been the case with my PRS guitars, nor my two recent Seagulls, I had to order and wait. True, if I wasn't happy when they arrived I wasn't bound in irons to accept them, but it still left me a bit uneasy.
Brandon has inventory aplenty, but I'm no longer looking to buy a PRS for quite a while, 3 is more than ample for my needs and they are all very different guitars. And even if I do, it will be an upgrade in some form or another, so one of my axes will become a trade-in or private sale.
I feel I am a reasonable guy. I can see particular shortages as well, but if they are relying on an algorithm to tell them when they should buying individual .009 gauge electric strings, that is an indictment on their business model not an excuse for being out of stock in my view. How about asking their employees to mention when they are getting low? I mean, seriously...

I remember going to the Van L&M 10 years ago and seeing/fondling a good many core PRSi. Now they have a very few. The other L&M shops I visit have zero, rarely even SE or S2.
I've never had a prob finding NYXL 9s though...

I run into the string issue all the time and have for years. Here is a screen shot of a Tom Lee review I did years ago under my YT handle when I was fed up with it.

The reason the request was "somewhat unusual" is because I wanted to buy 20 high Es, 10 Bs and 5 Gs. I was at L&M 10 minutes earlier and they had no high Es. I knew I was going to have to go elsewhere to get them so I didn't bother with the Bs and Gs.

But there are other issues as well. They list a ton of guitars they will never have. Some say they will ship from their supplier within a week, but some are six months or longer. To me 6 months is basically unavailable. To make it worse they have "territorial rights" that stop Sweetwater from shipping stuff to me that I can't get up here. One example is the Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder with Sustainiac pickup. L&M doesn't even list them(at least when I wanted one), but Sweetwater can't ship them out of their "territory".

Last edited:
I run into the string issue all the time and have for years. Here is a screen shot of a Tom Lee review I did years ago under my YT handle when I was fed up with it.

The reason the request was "somewhat unusual" is because I wanted to buy 20 high Es, 10 Bs and 5 Gs. I was at L&M 10 minutes earlier and they had no high Es. I knew I was going to have to go elsewhere to get them so I didn't bother with the Bs and Gs.

But there are other issues as well. They list a ton of guitars they will never have. Some say they will ship from their supplier within a week, but some are six months or longer. To me 6 months is basically unavailable. To make it worse they have "territorial rights" that stop Sweetwater from shipping stuff to me that I can't get up here. One example is the Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder with Sustainiac pickup. L&M doesn't even list them(at least when I wanted one), but Sweetwater can't ship them out of their "territory".
I waited almost a year for my SE Hollowbody II Piezo from L&M... I believe it was 10 months. I didn't know about Brandon's shop at the time so I have no idea if they had any or if they were an order-in as well. The models were fairly new in the lineup at the time so maybe both stores would have been factory order. I only knew that I wanted one badly so I was just happy to get one with my name on it.

I waited almost a year for my SE Hollowbody II Piezo from L&M... I believe it was 10 months. I didn't know about Brandon's shop at the time so I have no idea if they had any or if they were an order-in as well. The models were fairly new in the lineup at the time so maybe both stores would have been factory order. I only knew that I wanted one badly so I was just happy to get one with my name on it.
10 months!? I am suitably impressed. You obviously have a lot more patience than I do.

I get pissed when the lineup at Starbucks is too long. :)

10 months!? I am suitably impressed. You obviously have a lot more patience than I do.

I get pissed when the lineup at Starbucks is too long. :)
You should see me lined up at the teller in the bank when there's only 1 wicket open. God gave me red hair to make sure the rest of the world had a warning sign.

A friend of my Pops was sadly diagnosed with a terminal disease and the doc gave him six months to live. He asked if there was anything he could do to prolong his life.

The Doc suggested he hook up with a Viola player. Pops’ friend asked if this would make him live longer. The Doc said: “No! But it’ll feel like it”

Back