PRS Heaven

Daryl Jones

non-practicing pacifist
Yesterday I had to make a trip into the Big Smoke for my annual dermatology check (all clear BTW) after two excisions in the last 4 years.
With some time on my hands I stopped into a small but very PRS oriented independent guitar store that I have been meaning to visit for a couple years now, just never got around to stopping by. Old habits (my association with one of the larger stores) do tend to die hard with me, but damn do I ever wish I'd found these guys sooner. Turns out this place is one of the largest PRS dealers in Canada and I never knew it. Not PRS exclusive but they do carry the largest selection of PRS I have seen in any other store in Canada. Not that I have been to all the shops there are, but this is western Canada and there aren't music shops on every corner.
But I have been in email contact with the owner a few times since I started my quest for the S2 McCarty Thinline. I was all set to spring for a new one a month ago; Brandon had one as well as a single cut SE, double SE and a Core 594 double (obviously over my head on that one haha), but my bout with COVID ended that excursion and then I made the deal with my pal on his Thinline.
God I wish I'd known about this store 3-4 years ago! I was spellbound when I walked in. Although I would have likely had far less in the bank had I been there much earlier. He has more PRS models on the walls than the "big stores" have Fenders and Gibsons!! Wow is far to inaccurate a word to describe the variety. He doesn't sell PA's or mics, or much of anything beyond guitars and guitar related gear, but he does have a remarkable selection of effect pedals and amps. Down to Earth people too, I will certainly become a regular visitor.
Anybody that's like me that wants to actually hold and compare various PRS guitars in the Edmonton AB area owes it to themselves to stop by and discover what Guitar Brando has to offer us brand addicted types. Nothing against my other shop, but for the PRS fan in me, this place is the bee's knees!

Yesterday I had to make a trip into the Big Smoke for my annual dermatology check (all clear BTW) after two excisions in the last 4 years.
With some time on my hands I stopped into a small but very PRS oriented independent guitar store that I have been meaning to visit for a couple years now, just never got around to stopping by. Old habits (my association with one of the larger stores) do tend to die hard with me, but damn do I ever wish I'd found these guys sooner. Turns out this place is one of the largest PRS dealers in Canada and I never knew it. Not PRS exclusive but they do carry the largest selection of PRS I have seen in any other store in Canada. Not that I have been to all the shops there are, but this is western Canada and there aren't music shops on every corner.
But I have been in email contact with the owner a few times since I started my quest for the S2 McCarty Thinline. I was all set to spring for a new one a month ago; Brandon had one as well as a single cut SE, double SE and a Core 594 double (obviously over my head on that one haha), but my bout with COVID ended that excursion and then I made the deal with my pal on his Thinline.
God I wish I'd known about this store 3-4 years ago! I was spellbound when I walked in. Although I would have likely had far less in the bank had I been there much earlier. He has more PRS models on the walls than the "big stores" have Fenders and Gibsons!! Wow is far to inaccurate a word to describe the variety. He doesn't sell PA's or mics, or much of anything beyond guitars and guitar related gear, but he does have a remarkable selection of effect pedals and amps. Down to Earth people too, I will certainly become a regular visitor.
Anybody that's like me that wants to actually hold and compare various PRS guitars in the Edmonton AB area owes it to themselves to stop by and discover what Guitar Brando has to offer us brand addicted types. Nothing against my other shop, but for the PRS fan in me, this place is the bee's knees!
I did a deal with Brandon for a limited edition Strandberg Boden "with coveted COA" through his website. I got the guitar without the certificate and contacted him to let him know. He didn't get back to me until after the return period was done and told me he was working with the supplier to try to get the COA. Hmmmm. To make a long story short I sent the guitar back and he would only give me $2k on trade of the nearly $3k I paid after tax and shipping...which was supposed to be free.

I live in BC so there wasn't much I could do and I am too wise to get upset and waste my time with someone like him. So I took the hit and moved on. Cost me nearly a grand. I won't say he is dishonest, but I would never deal with him again. He listed the guitar on Reverb as well and I wish I had ordered it through them.

Edit: I am not sure if you have checked, but our national chain has some of their SE models on sale at a fairly steep discount. I am looking at picking up a SAS.

Last edited:
I did a deal with Brandon for a limited edition Strandberg Boden "with coveted COA" through his website. I got the guitar without the certificate and contacted him to let him know. He didn't get back to me until after the return period was done and told me he was working with the supplier to try to get the COA. Hmmmm. To make a long story short I sent the guitar back and he would only give me $2k on trade of the nearly $3k I paid after tax and shipping...which was supposed to be free.

I live in BC so there wasn't much I could do and I am too wise to get upset and waste my time with someone like him. So I took the hit and moved on. Cost me nearly a grand. I won't say he is dishonest, but I would never deal with him again. He listed the guitar on Reverb as well and I wish I had ordered it through them.

Edit: I am not sure if you have checked, but our national chain has some of their SE models on sale at a fairly steep discount. I am looking at picking up a SAS.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I was just so impressed with his selection I felt compelled to post something. Being the 3rd biggest PRS seller in Canada has to mean there's something good about them. But everybody cheeses somebody off in their business life, I'm sure I have some skeletons in my business closet.
I've always dealt with L&M (Edmonton Highlands) after Axe was bought up by them, and they've always been more than fair. Axe was always my go to before for over 20 years. Didn't hurt that a former work associate of mine was their head guitar tech either. L&M just never seem to have any physical stock of PRS other than the occasional Angelus in the acoustic rooms. My S2 came from the southside store (through my buddy), but as a pre-owned machine.

I had the same experience the first time I walked into Dave's Guitars, in LaCrosse. Had to be close to 200 PRS hanging in there.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I was just so impressed with his selection I felt compelled to post something. Being the 3rd biggest PRS seller in Canada has to mean there's something good about them. But everybody cheeses somebody off in their business life, I'm sure I have some skeletons in my business closet.
I've always dealt with L&M (Edmonton Highlands) after Axe was bought up by them, and they've always been more than fair. Axe was always my go to before for over 20 years. Didn't hurt that a former work associate of mine was their head guitar tech either. L&M just never seem to have any physical stock of PRS other than the occasional Angelus in the acoustic rooms. My S2 came from the southside store (through my buddy), but as a pre-owned machine.
No worries. I was impressed with their stock on the website as well. Customer service on the other hand...

Maybe others would have better luck, but I felt I should mention my experience. In his defense he is in a very tough business, but as a customer I expect better.

I am like you. I supported my local shop until L&M put them out of business. The guy who owned it is named Steve and had a young daughter of 5 when he finally closed the doors. Really good guy and a beast of a player. Really sorry to see him lose his store. It had been servicing my area since the 80s. I knew the previous owners as well.

No worries. I was impressed with their stock on the website as well. Customer service on the other hand...

Maybe others would have better luck, but I felt I should mention my experience. In his defense he is in a very tough business, but as a customer I expect better.

I am like you. I supported my local shop until L&M put them out of business. The guy who owned it is named Steve and had a young daughter of 5 when he finally closed the doors. Really good guy and a beast of a player. Really sorry to see him lose his store. It had been servicing my area since the 80s. I knew the previous owners as well.
My local mom/pop shop was bought by L&M years ago, then they moved it 10-15kms away. :(

My local mom/pop shop was bought by L&M years ago, then they moved it 10-15kms away. :(
I feel you. I remember how many independent stores there were back in the day. It is basically Tom Lee and L&M now. I look at L&M's website and even though they list a lot of guitars, few are in stock. There have been times where I checked and delivery time on a guitar is more than 6 months. To me that is basically unavailable.

They are a pet peeve of mine these days. I was at my local L&M a few years back to buy some .009 gauge high Es and they were out. HTF does that even happen?

I feel you. I remember how many independent stores there were back in the day. It is basically Tom Lee and L&M now. I look at L&M's website and even though they list a lot of guitars, few are in stock. There have been times where I checked and delivery time on a guitar is more than 6 months. To me that is basically unavailable.

They are a pet peeve of mine these days. I was at my local L&M a few years back to buy some .009 gauge high Es and they were out. HTF does that even happen?
I can see occasional shorts or out of stocks on particular parts/accessories. The buying public cannot be predicted in many cases, but inventories these days are often computer controlled algorithms. Min/max is volume based and as such is often not accurate. No computer can predict a run on anything.
But L&M always has oodles of guitars on the rack if you are a Fender or Gibson lover. I am not, never have been. And it's not only PRS that is rare with them, seldom see a Rickenbacker, Gretsch, or even Jacksons on the walls. I get it that "most" of the world wants a Strat, a Tele or a LP, SG (Squire or Epiphone too) but a lot of us want to hold, feel and play before we buy. But that hasn't ever been the case with my PRS guitars, nor my two recent Seagulls, I had to order and wait. True, if I wasn't happy when they arrived I wasn't bound in irons to accept them, but it still left me a bit uneasy.
Brandon has inventory aplenty, but I'm no longer looking to buy a PRS for quite a while, 3 is more than ample for my needs and they are all very different guitars. And even if I do, it will be an upgrade in some form or another, so one of my axes will become a trade-in or private sale.

Back