PRIVATE STOCK GRAPHITE PAUL'S GUITAR!

Ok, Trust me, I am an "All In" PRS Guitars guy, but I gotta wonder, what if the owner goes from 10's to 11's or 12's in a couple years...I can't help but think the neck will move a little?? There is no adjustment to readjust the neck after a gauge change...Didn't Martin acoustics go from a steel "I" or "T" beam in the neck, and in the 70's ( I think??) go to a conventional truss rod...and Modulus basses went from no truss rod to conventional during their last years of existence?? Again, I'm a PRS FAN FOR LIFE, but let's just say the jury is out for a few years on this one. Btw...there's no one more than me that would love to see this idea work, just kinda theoretically throws up a red flag...

Apologies to Brian's a Guitars, if this entry should be elsewhere...??

This is essentially one of of my general questions about these. I would also like to know how they sound in a solid body electric.

Ok, Trust me, I am an "All In" PRS Guitars guy, but I gotta wonder, what if the owner goes from 10's to 11's or 12's in a couple years...I can't help but think the neck will move a little?? There is no adjustment to readjust the neck after a gauge change...Didn't Martin acoustics go from a steel "I" or "T" beam in the neck, and in the 70's ( I think??) go to a conventional truss rod...and Modulus basses went from no truss rod to conventional during their last years of existence?? Again, I'm a PRS FAN FOR LIFE, but let's just say the jury is out for a few years on this one. Btw...there's no one more than me that would love to see this idea work, just kinda theoretically throws up a red flag...

Apologies to Brian's a Guitars, if this entry should be elsewhere...??

I've had my graphite truss rod equipped acoustic for two years now., and had my first graphite rod acoustic for two years before that. Acoustic guitar strings are heavier than electric guitar strings. I've tried different strings and gauges. There is NO movement of the neck. 96 million modulus graphite is much, much stiffer and more robust in this way than a steel rod.

Martin acoustics went from no truss rod at all to an i-beam to a conventional rod because customers wanted to make adjustments, but I can attest to the fact that the Martin i-beam moved plenty and I had to send one back to Martin to be pressed out because it bent. In other words, the i-beam didn't really work out for Martin, so they went to a conventional rod. But Martin's line for a very long time was that a hunk of metal in the neck was bad for the tone of the guitars, and of course, today vintage Martins with no truss rods are still the gold standard for steel string acoustic guitars.

The only reason to make a carbon fiber neck adjustable is to accommodate player's preferences regarding neck relief. This is why Modulus went with one. Some want that, some don't. If you like adjusting your truss rod from time to time, it's great, and if you'd prefer not to ever have to adjust a truss rod, then a non-adjustable graphite neck is for you.

I've had my graphite truss rod equipped acoustic for two years now., and had my first graphite rod acoustic for two years before that. Acoustic guitar strings are heavier than electric guitar strings. I've tried different strings and gauges. There is NO movement of the neck. 96 million modulus graphite is much, much stiffer and more robust in this way than a steel rod.

Martin acoustics went from no truss rod at all to an i-beam to a conventional rod because customers wanted to make adjustments, but I can attest to the fact that the Martin i-beam moved plenty and I had to send one back to Martin to be pressed out because it bent. In other words, the i-beam didn't really work out for Martin, so they went to a conventional rod. But Martin's line for a very long time was that a hunk of metal in the neck was bad for the tone of the guitars, and of course, today vintage Martins with no truss rods are still the gold standard for steel string acoustic guitars.

The only reason to make a carbon fiber neck adjustable is to accommodate player's preferences regarding neck relief. This is why Modulus went with one. Some want that, some don't. If you like adjusting your truss rod from time to time, it's great, and if you'd prefer not to ever have to adjust a truss rod, then a non-adjustable graphite neck is for you.

This is a very interesting question. If a 96 million graphite neck has no movement (within the range of string tensions exerted by various string gauge sets), then the string gauge selection doesn't matter. It's all about the MODULUS of the neck. Sure, the 96MG neck DOES move, but if the modulus is so much stronger than string tension, the strings will never elastically deform the neck enough to matter. THIS IS WHY WE MUST ALL PLAY THE 96MG NECK. I AM CURIOUS...... What would a set of 12s do?..... OOOOooooooo......

Maybe the range is so dialed in that minor adjustments at the bridge take care of preferences for action, etc...

Now...seeing an A/B comparison between these and the same model with traditional truss rod...THAT would be something I'd like to see at the next Experience-type event...
should have put THAT on my "Post Anniversary" survey...dangit...
(run through a Jazz Chorus, of course...LOLOLOL)

ITS HERE!
http://briansguitars.com/product/pa...k-pauls-graphite-blue-tourmaline-smoked-burst

DSC_8913.jpg

DSC_8923.jpg

DSC_8915.jpg

Okay... I think I am prepared to sell my family members to the next traveling circus in order be able to afford to buy this guitar. ;) hahaha

Neck relief is a very personal preference. I for one would love to be able to try out an adjustable graphite rod system. I like my necks almost dead straight with a tiny hair of relief and can very much feel when the neck moves a bit.

Last edited:
Of course graphite is significantly lighter than steel. Necks with truss rods do change their relief due to weather, even a change in strings. Whether that happens with graphite rods is interesting. If graphite rods prevented these unintended relief changes it would make factory/luthier setups even more useful.

I have two nearly identical PRS Angelus Acoustics...one with a reinforcing rod (carbon fiber in these I believe), the other with standard adjustable truss rod.
http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?10559-NAGD-the-quot-Angelus-Sisters-quot

My totally subjective observation is that the coco B/S one (with the reinforcement rod) sustains longer and is much louder acoustically than the BRW B/S one (with standard truss rod). I have to wonder if that added "oomph" is a result of the neck construction. There has to be some compression of the wood in the neck with a truss Rod system (unless it's totally loosened)...could the absence of that compression allow the neck to transmit vibrations more freely? How would that effect the sustain/tone of an electric? I am intrigued by the possibilities.

I have two nearly identical PRS Angelus Acoustics...one with a reinforcing rod (carbon fiber in these I believe), the other with standard adjustable truss rod.
http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?10559-NAGD-the-quot-Angelus-Sisters-quot

My totally subjective observation is that the coco B/S one (with the reinforcement rod) sustains longer and is much louder acoustically than the BRW B/S one (with standard truss rod). I have to wonder if that added "oomph" is a result of the neck construction. There has to be some compression of the wood in the neck with a truss Rod system (unless it's totally loosened)...could the absence of that compression allow the neck to transmit vibrations more freely? How would that effect the sustain/tone of an electric? I am intrigued by the possibilities.

Exactly...thanks, Tosca...I would imagine the differing back/sides affects the tone somewhat...but throw new strings (same brand) on each and we have a showdown. A/B 'em blindfolded...ooooh...maybe at the next Experience??? Acoustics and Electrics.

Back