Pedals that never leave your board?

Tuner, compressor, delay, reverb and drive.

Everything but the tuner will likely be replaced by me viewing youtube content, but im good with that, know my weaknesses.

Tuner, compressor, delay, reverb and drive.

Everything but the tuner will likely be replaced by me viewing youtube content, but im good with that, know my weaknesses.

YouTube and forums. This thread reminds me of my interest in the RC Booster v2. I could swap out my Spark Mini and Simble for the v2 and my SL Drive (or buy a Tumnus), which means I would add a gain stage and still keep my mini board. It never ends.

I love pedals! tend to change up quite often but always have a TS-9 on there normally just to colour the tone or provide a slight boost rather than actually using it for drive.

Normally would be my cry baby but as of last year the John Petrucci wah has taken over. The normal crybaby feels weird now having less than half of the sweep that the JP has.

keeley compressor, AC booster, Barber LMT. The other 5 slots a change....

I am a TC Electronic junkie...its bad, I need an intervention. About to retire the DL4 for the Flashback X4 so its safe to say I will always have a plethora of TC Electronic pedals on my board. As far as drive pedals go, I am a through and through "in amp" distortion fan but still try to do the front load pedal thing so my OD808 and OCD are here to stay, not exactly enamored with my Flux Drive though...

I have a few I've been using for several years. With pedals, everything's down to individual needs, so I'm not saying any of this stuff would work for anyone else, it simply works for me:

Suhr Buffer, because it's small, transparent and is able to drive long pedal chains and cable runs. It has a second isolated output so I can run wet/dry or wet/dry/wet without ground loop noise; or I can run a direct out to my recording gear along with my miked-up amps. It also has a phase switch.

Eventide H9 Max. Sounds great for digital gear, has ten zillion useful algorithms, and has an IOS app and/or computer that works simply and wirelessly for editing and setting all parameters in seconds - no bending over the pedal for menu diving, no need to dig up a cable to attach to computer or device. Very powerful. Also has the classic H3000 algorithms I used for many years with rackmount gear. The ducked delay alone is worth the price of admission.

Lehle 1 at 3 amp switcher. No noise, no switch pops, no ground loops, can select between one amp or more than one amp at a time, and is all kinds of programmable.

Fulltone OCD. Good with all of my amps. One of those things lots of people depend on.

Xotic BB, because it meshes very, very well with my PRS DG30 amp. It's the only pedal I've found that makes the DG sound even more DG.

Suhr Koji Compressor for its very transparent compression and a switchable EQ. Compressors are just plain great for clean tones, and this is a good one. The Suhr folks also use soft-click switches that don't make noise.

The Suhr Kokoboost adds a nice sparkle, fattens the signal a bit, and has a switchable mid boost with variable frequency emphasis to push the mids for solos where you need them for your amps. I like clean boost instead of overdrive with the HXDA when I want a bit extra.

Suhr Jackrabbit tremolo is analog, with tap tempo, not noisy, great sound.

Fulltone Tube Tape Echo. No digital tape echo emulation really has "the sound." This one was designed with input from Mike Battle, the guy who invented the Echoplex, and is so authentic that the tape cartridges also work with the early '60s machines.
I bought an exotic bb because I liked the tones people got with it.

I seriously think that once my hands touch something it ceases to function as intended.

I bought an exotic bb because I liked the tones people got with it.

I seriously think that once my hands touch something it ceases to function as intended.
The post you quoted is from 5 years ago, it's a little out of date.

I don't have the OCD or the Xotic BB any more. They did leave my board! Not that they were bad at all, in fact, they're great pedals and served me well, but three years ago I got interested in exploring more transparent / less compressed overdrives.

I was looking for more of a 'vintage studio gear' sound than a high-coloration pedal sound. With four amps I figured I could get the variety I wanted with the amps, and just use pedals to slightly color the 'edge of breakup' tone I like. It worked.

So I replaced them at first with a Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2, which combined two of their pedals, the Chime and the Iron, and eventually transitioned to a Pettyjohn Edge and a Pettyjohn Chime as separate pedals because I wasn't using the Iron side of the PD2. These are low-to-medium gain pedals. They're very transparent the way I use them. Of course with any pedal, it's always a matter of whether it can be set up to give you what you were hoping to get, and these do it for me, with my guitars, my taste, and my amps.

On the other hand, what we do with guitars, amps, and tone is so different that if I have a piece of gear, you should automatically run the other way! ;)

The post you quoted is from 5 years ago, it's a little out of date.

I don't have the OCD or the Xotic BB any more. They did leave my board! Not that they were bad at all, in fact, they're great pedals and served me well, but three years ago I got interested in exploring more transparent / less compressed overdrives.

I was looking for more of a 'vintage studio gear' sound than a high-coloration pedal sound. With four amps I figured I could get the variety I wanted with the amps, and just use pedals to slightly color the 'edge of breakup' tone I like. It worked.

So I replaced them at first with a Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2, which combined two of their pedals, the Chime and the Iron, and eventually transitioned to a Pettyjohn Edge and a Pettyjohn Chime as separate pedals because I wasn't using the Iron side of the PD2. These are low-to-medium gain pedals. They're very transparent the way I use them. Of course with any pedal, it's always a matter of whether it can be set up to give you what you were hoping to get, and these do it for me, with my guitars, my taste, and my amps.

On the other hand, what we do with guitars, amps, and tone is so different that if I have a piece of gear, you should automatically run the other way! ;)
Ha ha ha well..........I did buy a used PD2 and I don't use it so there you go!!

For the past two years, it’s been two constants…MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe and Phase 95. I think the Xotic ACBooster is here to stay as well, the active treble & bass seem to work well with my guitars and amp.

For guitar, I have various pedals, but each board (I have a few of the PT Nano boards, good for 2-4 pedals) has at least 1 OD/Fuzz, a phaser, and a delay. Most of my Delays are Wamplers, with various crunch pedals.

For bass, its usually a Comp (Demeter is my favorite, cuz it can control the high output of my Spector basses), a Crunch (Currently the Tech 21 YYZ is in charge), and a Chorus. (Love the older hard-wired SCF-1's for their Chorus)

A change since 2017. Playing more fusion style in the vein of Greg Howe, Al Di Meola, etc so I have 3 different ODs on my board along with a harmonizer (plus the usual).

Old thread, same answer!

There are two sections of my pedal board. The top row are pedals that are in the effects loop. 2 of those pedals are always there and have been since before this thread was started. TC Flashback and Arena verb. Several other pedals come and go from the loop, but those two are always there.

The other section is the pedals that are in front of the amp. That lineup changes almost every single time I turn an amp on, and many times, one or two or even three will change during that playing session. But one remains constant and has been for probably 10 years. Barber Launch Pad is the last pedal before the amp. I used to use it to push V1 on my amps. With high gain amps, that's not as needed and in many cases not desirable, but with clean and mid gain amps, makes almost every amp sound better and more responsive.

And, I guess as a technicality, my tuner runs out the the second output of the Launch Pad, and has been there for years.

Other than those 4, it's a revolving door depending on what I'm doing and what I'm going for. I usually have 15-20 pedals out, and sitting off to the side of the pedal board, in complete disarray. I love posting pics of it to make Les' cringe at the mess. ( I always mess it up worse before taking pics, just for that purpose. Don't tell Les!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Strymon Flint and El Capistan are definitely staples on my board but one pedal that I was really surprised by how much I like and continue to use is the Ernie Ball Wah. To me it has a very unique sweep range that is more appealing to my ears compared to say the Dunlop or Vox types

Back