NGD - Paul Reed Smith 7 String (Maryland Made?!)

themike

So it's no secret I'm a fan of PRS and love working with the team of guys in Paul's Tech Center (PTC). Well, after my last refinish went over so well I wasn't sure what I could do to ever top it. Then it hit me - a few years ago my friend Hans and I were discussing the logistics of transforming a 12 string to a 7 string. I'll spare you all the details, but that's what we did here. You can check out the build thread here.

I received the guitar a day or two ago and have been playing it NON stop. Since it was a conversion, the string spacing on this guitar is a little tighter than your typical 7 string, although not by much. After 5 minutes, I've fully adjusted and completely used to it and not for nothing, I think the smaller spacing has made me more accurate!

The finish is a custom color - it's their Jet White with a "contour burst" and white binding. The pickups are Bareknuckle Black Hawks that have been tweaked and run through PRS' 408 switching system (hence the mini toggles). We had to go with a blade pickup design and this fit my requirements as I've heard it was great split.

292o51j.jpg

i2ir07.jpg

vsoth4.jpg

Tone report? You want a tone report? BAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM. There's your tone report. Plugging it in and ringing out was like a truck crashing into the side of my face. It sounds MASSIVE, yet very clear and precise. I was a little curious about how the low B would sound on a shorter scaled 7 and I have to say that I have nothing but praise! I ran it through my Fractal at home for a few days and loved how it sound, but once I got to the studio I ran it through a 5150 and an FJA modded Peavy preamp and it made my hair stand. The coil splitting is fantastic and gets some of the most amazing tone's I've ever gotten before. Would you believe me that I got a nice, quaky strat sound on this guitar... because I did!

Again the notes are clear, the feel is tight but comfortable and the sound is huge. The bridge, which was custom milled by the PTC, is awesome. Super sturdy with great sustain and a comfortable feel.

The finish of this guitar is factory fresh - but you knew that. It literally looks like something that has been in production for years. We were originally going to go with Jet white only and a black back but Dave from PTC suggest the contour burst and I knew I had to go for it. I never really liked silverburst guitars but this just strikes me right in the heart. The clear looks like the guitar is encased in glass.

14cy3gh.jpg

2epk4ko.jpg

6pt25x.jpg

2qjjfo1.jpg

So to wrap it up, this project was amazing to be a part of and I am beyond grateful I somehow conned them into accepting it! :rofl: The guys at the PTC are some of the most talented and creative people I've ever met. A lot of guys I think still have a hang up on PRS guitars and think they are just collector items and while it is true that they make some amazing pieces, you can also call them up and talk to customer service instantly. You can email them and have a response within an hour. You can send your beat up PRS to the PTC and have it adjusted, lightly modded or a piece of full blown insanity (a la this!).

I will also try and record some video clips for the curious but I'm pretty busy right now so it might have to be in the near future.

I'd like to thank Shawn for accepting this insane project, Skitchy for figuring it out and actually making it happen, Han's for coming up with the idea with me years ago on BAM, Dave and the rest of the PTC crew, Paul for creating PTC, Skitchy again because of how much work he did on it, and also Shawn again for swapping out the 12 string case for a gorgeous case from his personal collection. Thank you guys!!!!

First let me say that these are fantastic photos. They really give a good feel for the guitar.

Second, the custom machined bridge is a real treat and the wood-mods were executed perfectly. The paint job brought it all together for a completely custom vibe. Skitchy and the boys illustrated (again) that they can take a guitar anywhere you want or need it to go. It's like having your very own guitar tech.

The final outcome exceeded the dream, 3-Mike. You have a very special 7-string guitar. Not just a special PRS.

I can see you sitting there just caressing it. Very impressive work!!! I look forward to clips. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great photos.
Great execution of an idea.
Great guitar.

And I didn't know anybody still had those wild Kustom cabinets. I toted a couple of blue 6 footers around for a while.

Wow that is very cool, awesome project for sure. Kinda makes me more curious about the SE Custom 24 7string coming out soon. Never played a 7 string before, but I'm tempted.

Thanks everyone! Its definitely a killer guitar and I couldn't have been more happy with the way it turned out!

And yeah, those are two original Kustom's from the 70s - good eye(s)! haha

Mike, that is simply a true thing of beauty. The finish alone was worth the price of admission. It just goes to show the level of craftsmanship, artistry and care these guys have for the guitar. It is truly awesome that you have an absolute one of a kind guitar. I'm just so blown away by this one... Outstanding job Skitchy and Shawn and everyone else in the PTC.. And Mike, the mad scientist, your ideas are inspiring to an old dog like me. Fearless seems a good word to sum it all up. You, the PTC and PRS are fearless and for that, we thank you!!!

Wow. If only you had a bit more of a selection in amps and mixing boards, you could REALLY discover that thing's full potential! ; - )

Congrats Mike! That turned out absolutely amazing! Love that finish.

I didn't expect anything less from PTC but still WOW. flawless and the detail is top notch

We need a video of this in action
just a couple of riffs Mike go on! :top:

Back