NGD: DGT Pernie Glacier Blue

I managed to grab one from that run a while back. Def a keeper! Congrats!

On the Pernambuco thing......I managed to snag a Scott Walker Electro that has a rosewood neck and pernambuco fingerboard. Hard to describe that guitar as it has 3 P-90s and sits somewhere between a Tele and a Strat and a Jazzmaster. Also a keeper, but hard to evaluate exactly what the perny contributes. If I understand correctly, Scott has made some others with pernambuco, especially the very lovely Katana, with the neck attached with no glue OR screws. But kind of above my pay grade, as it were.

That is a worthy addition! I've never had the opportunity to fondle pernie. How different is it from rosewood?
This opinion will probably change depending on whether it’s an even or odd day of the week.. :p

But it seems to my ears that Pernie has more high end than a mahogany neck. Sounds more silky if you will. It also tends to have a very pronounced nasally woody T-wah tone, like if you pinched your nose and vocalized the word “Wah”. It seems to be more lively.

But much depends on the individual batch or piece of wood. I can say I’m confident ALL of the original Violin guitars were spectacular. I have high confidence for the Collection 2014 electrics too.

Okay that was horrible..

Thanks everyone! Super happy with this one.

Awesome score! I love it when there’s a commitment to a tone concept.

I truly do love the wood and for my tastes it really does sound amazing! Due to it's rarity I do try to snag one up if the opportunity allows.

I like the one in the middle.

I like it too :D.

I know that guitar................... Congrats Jay!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mark, I'm thrilled with this one! Good to see you around here again, missed you my man.

What are the colors on the other two? And what model is your 4th pernie?

The lighter blue is White Tiger and the darker one is Faded Blue Green. The 4th one is my Sandstorm SC58 that I've posted way too much :D.

30381864483_7bc5ca579e_b.jpg

I know where there are a couple. ;)

Thanks Steve! if the finances allow, I may see what those couple entail. But this and the Buckeye has killed any guitar buying for probably a while :oops::eek::(.

Now come on, Jay can’t beat me to every Pernie neck guitar out there, can he? CAN HE!?!?!:rolleyes:

Fixed it for you ;)

Depends on your internet-fu :D. If anything pops up soon, you'll definitely beat me to it this time. As far as moving the blue green, I'll consider it if you can find me the Rainforest finish from this run ;). I actually know the gentleman who has it, but he was unwilling to move it last time I checked. This was a couple years ago though, could've changed hands now.

Last edited:
That is a worthy addition! I've never had the opportunity to fondle pernie. How different is it from rosewood?

I managed to grab one from that run a while back. Def a keeper! Congrats!

On the Pernambuco thing......I managed to snag a Scott Walker Electro that has a rosewood neck and pernambuco fingerboard. Hard to describe that guitar as it has 3 P-90s and sits somewhere between a Tele and a Strat and a Jazzmaster. Also a keeper, but hard to evaluate exactly what the perny contributes. If I understand correctly, Scott has made some others with pernambuco, especially the very lovely Katana, with the neck attached with no glue OR screws. But kind of above my pay grade, as it were.

Man, the blue green and white tiger are like perfect flame. I’m jealous! :p
Three pernambuco guitars from a run of twenty five.

THAT is rare!
This opinion will probably change depending on whether it’s an even or odd day of the week.. :p

But it seems to my ears that Pernie has more high end than a mahogany neck. Sounds more silky if you will. It also tends to have a very pronounced nasally woody T-wah tone, like if you pinched your nose and vocalized the word “Wah”. It seems to be more lively.

But much depends on the individual batch or piece of wood. I can say I’m confident ALL of the original Violin guitars were spectacular. I have high confidence for the Collection 2014 electrics too.

Okay that was horrible..

For my inexperienced ear, Pernambuco is probably closest to Mahogany. As for comparing to Rosewood, it does have some of the signature smoothness that rosewood provides, but it being a finished neck it doesn't have that "crackwood" feel. As others have said it's kind of like a livelier, more high definition Mahogany. Now, I'm not in the sense that tonewoods are the end all be all when it comes to the sound of the guitar. I personally feel the construction style of the instrument plays much more of a factor. One can get the same guitars built out of the same materials and they'll still sound different from each other. In saying that, I feel there are some tonal properties which attribute to my fondness of the wood. I personally like Pernambuco so much because it almost has the best of maple, mahogany, and rosewood to my ear. I get some of that snappier high-end that maple tends to provide, the mid-crunch of the hog and that imminent smoothness of the rosewood.

As for it actually sounding better than the others, that's highly subjective. I love the tone from all my pernie necked guitars, but others may not feel the same. If there's anything that's truly quantifiable from the wood, I would say that they objectively sustain longer than any other guitar I've tried or in my collection. The extra sustain is definitely noticeable and I know many others have felt the same way. These are just my thoughts and I hope that answered some questions for you guys.

Last edited:
I'll consider it if you can find my the Rainforest finish from this run ;).
But....but....if WA Paul can find the rainforest one, it means you won’t find it (till he posts his own NGD anyway), which means he also won’t get the blue green one.

Which means u can transfer the DIBS to me....

Sorry WA Paul...:p

But....but....if WA Paul can find the rainforest one, it means you won’t find it (till he posts his own NGD anyway), which means he also won’t get the blue green one.

Which means u can transfer the DIBS to me....

Sorry WA Paul...:p

While this is true, if he finds and buys the Rainforest, that means there's a possibility of a trade :D. Unless, you find it first...if you catch my drift ;).

Thanks everyone! Super happy with this one.

I truly do love the wood and for my tastes it really does sound amazing! Due to it's rarity I do try to snag one up if the opportunity allows.

I like it too :D.

Thanks Mark, I'm thrilled with this one! Good to see you around here again, missed you my man.

The lighter blue is White Tiger and the darker one is Faded Blue Green. The 4th one is my Sandstorm SC58 that I've posted way too much :D.

30381864483_7bc5ca579e_b.jpg

Thanks Steve! if the finances allow, I may see what those couple entail. But this and the Buckeye has killed any guitar buying for probably a while :oops::eek::(.

Depends on your internet-fu :D. If anything pops up soon, you'll definitely beat me to it this time. As far as moving the blue green, I'll consider it if you can find me the Rainforest finish from this run ;). I actually know the gentleman who has it, but he was unwilling to move it last time I checked. This was a couple years ago though, could've changed hands now.

Love the sandstorm! Similar to my NGD.

31967863_10212317239111052_189308749519781888_n.jpg

Back