NGD: DGT Pernie Glacier Blue

jcha008

This was totally out of the blue and unplanned. I was browsing through Reverb and this beauty pops up. I've lusted after this guitar for years when Murali bought it some years ago. I put in an offer hoping it wouldn't get accepted, but to my dismay it did :D. My 3rd guitar from this run and just as spectacular as my others. The finish has faded just a bit which gives it a bit of a rustic look and the top is the most three dimensional in my collection. The illusion of peaks and valleys is quite strong with this one.

This guitar has been well played and loved over the years so it shows some wear. But I like that this wasn't a case queen, and it feels broken in like an old friend ;). The neck has been sanded to a satin finish so it feels quite nice and fast. Very happy with this one and it's another keeper. This is now the 4th pernie necked guitar in my collection and it's no secret that I love the neck wood. Hope to add another if the opportunity allows.

The lighting is a bit dark and I'll update the thread in the morning with some daylight pics.

2h2qujq.jpg

2zyabmw.jpg

n65pgn.jpg

24gnho0.jpg

6ozfko.jpg

dcu1jk.jpg

2uemazd.jpg

This is now the 4th pernie necked guitar in my collection and it's no secret that I love the neck wood. Hope to add another if the opportunity allows.
Pernambuco is now unavailable for some reason. Probably at source level. Two ways to see this.

One is that it’s just another wood, and it’s hype and meh.

The other is that PRS has been the only brand to use this wood, which was already rare to come by even in the much smaller blank sizes required for violin bows, and the handful of PRS guitars made so far with pernambuco (numbering 200 perhaps?) are going to be the last and only ones of their kind in the world.

I subscribe to the latter thought school. My best sounding PRS guitars tend to have this wood, so I believe there is something genuine and real there.

From reading, I believe that the felling of Pernambuco is highly restricted due to its population.

Obviously its prized amongst violin makers and provision for that has been made with growing programmes.

You could probably make 3/4 violin bows out of the waste from a one piece guitar neck, maybe! This is just supposition. (Warning - no scientific knowledge was used in that last statement).

Man, the blue green and white tiger are like perfect flame. I’m jealous! :p

That is a worthy addition! I've never had the opportunity to fondle pernie. How different is it from rosewood?
I too am curious.

Not that I know what a rosewood neck feels like, unfortunately. Gonna address that eventually, I hope!

Back