I've reached my conclusion on SE Indo/Cortek vs Korea/WMI

andy474x

Knows the Drill
They are both making freaking awesome SE's that are better than ever before.

I had played some "good ones" (no duds) from Cortek, specifically a few Paul's guitars that were incredibly light (within reason) and resonant, and some Customs, Tremontis that were up to par, certainly. Lastnight I went to... you know, that guitar store that's open on Sunday... specifically to try a limited run Princeton that only they have (Tweed covered '65 reissue with a G1265). Turns out the Princeton wasn't for me.

BUT

Sweet Moses, did I play a couple fantastic SE's!!! They had an SE245 (from Cortek) that just blew me away. I played probably 6-8 LP's, and this thing just easily smoked them, although the G is getting better, I'm happy to say. Just like the Paul's guitars, the SE245 was light, not to an extreme that made it feel cheap, but you could tell the wood had really been dried properly, and the finish was quite thin. And that puppy rang like a bell. I had a very, very hard time not bringing it home, but I have my Akesson that I love dearly. I think the SE245 had more woody resonance and midrange airy goodness, whereas the Akesson is more chunky and ballsy sounding, but both in the same ballpark, so I left it for some other lucky person. Oh, by the way, it was absolutely gorgeous too, I suppose it was vintage sunburst, but a very rich and dark rendition on a well bookmatched and nicely figured top, and the back was also rich in color but not so dark that the grain didn't show through beautifully. Also now featuring the fully adjustable stoptail, dig it.

And then I played one of the roasted SE's (WMI), and that was really nice too! Crap! I love that maple fretboard, and despite the fact that I don't usually prefer maple necks, I got along with it very, very well. The game has changed, these new SE's are serious and out for your wallet, fellas.

I'm going to try and be patient for the 35th SE's to come out, word around the web is that they'll be shipping by the end of the month, and I know between the two shops that carry PRS in town, there are 5 roasted SE's available right now. Hopefully they'll have some overlap, the mom'n'pop is good at getting new stuff from PRS quickly. I like that roasted maple an awful lot, but I'm actually hoping the 35th is Cortek made with the same nice, light woods that the 245 and Paul's have. Certainly sounded very good in the PRS video, actually preferred it to the S2. Plus, you can't go wrong with black gold and a toggle.

Need to hit this right so I can grab one of these great guitars, but still be "wife approved" when Experience rolls around.

I have 2 MIKs and a third on the way. Both are my main practice and gig guitars. And what I love about them is the neck profile and I have become very comfortable and intimate with them.
I know that its oh so slight but the Indo has a thicker D shape than the MIK which is flatter.

When Im at my local GC or Sam Ash and play an MIK, it feels natural.
With the Indo I get finger fatigue immediately which tells me its not the same and in this case thicker.

Just my thoughts, wouldnt mind buying an Indo if the neck was exactly the same.

Back