Which SE('s) to buy?

I've decided on an SE Custom. I have it narrowed down to the regular charcoal one, and the charcoal quilt one with the binding.

If price didn't matter, which of the 2 do you think looks better? I'm not sure the binding and colored headstock actually look good.
I could not find charcoal quilt. I do like the quilts.

Not At All.
Ok...any suggestions on order of purchase between ZM, Pauls, HB II? Feels like the HBII is for sure. Might be some overlap between ZM and Paul's. Sp the real decision would be while h of those two to purchase: ZM or Paul's. Thoughts?

SAS for humbucker and single coil sounds. It does clean and blues really, really well. Hollowbody ll piezo for Hollowbody and acoustic sounds. Then circle back later and get the others.
This for sure. The best two current PRSse in my opinion. The rest I'd look s2 or core, even if used. You'll be hooked and happily ready for more. But thats me. Get what is calling you. There really is no wrong answer. If I was to do it over on my journey I would have picked up a used s2 standard first. But I have no regrets because I still have my first se cu24 floyd, modded to no end, and it's an awesome guitar.

Ok...any suggestions on order of purchase between ZM, Pauls, HB II? Feels like the HBII is for sure. Might be some overlap between ZM and Paul's. Sp the real decision would be while h of those two to purchase: ZM or Paul's. Thoughts?
HB II (bias, I've owned one for a month now). However, I'd also push you to get the Piezo version, as blending the piezo into the humbuckers (and vice versa) adds a lot of tonal range. Also, it's a lot of fun using the acoustic tones (and the Katana has an acoustic amp setting).

Also, the HBII is a very thin guitar, and unless you're playing at high volume, does not feed back at all. It's essentially covers the ground of an LP while being an extraordinarily light.

HB II (bias, I've owned one for a month now). However, I'd also push you to get the Piezo version, as blending the piezo into the humbuckers (and vice versa) adds a lot of tonal range. Also, it's a lot of fun using the acoustic tones (and the Katana has an acoustic amp setting).

Also, the HBII is a very thin guitar, and unless you're playing at high volume, does not feed back at all. It's essentially covers the ground of an LP while being an extraordinarily light.
HBII Piezo is out of my budget...unless I only buy one guitar. I was hoping to get a couple during the sale to cover a bunch of (tonal) ground.

HBII Piezo is out of my budget...unless I only buy one guitar. I was hoping to get a couple during the sale to cover a bunch of (tonal) ground.
I opted for the non piezo model. A piezo really isn't my thing and had to have my lake blue finish. Zero regrets. The standard is really sweet too, really dig the tone. All of the Hb2 are a win.

Proaudiostar sells open box for $900, and if you call them, rather than purchase online, you can get them to send you a new one for like $960, instead.

You can also use the above information to talk other retailers down to $1000.

When I'm looking to buy the first place I check out is Daves guitars in Wisconsin. Awesome shop to deal with and smokin deals. They're loaded with se right now.

Of The Ones You Mentioned I Would Go With HB II, Paul's, Then ZM. I Would Find A DGT Or McCarty Quickly As Well.

Uggg...spent a bunch of my guitar money today...and not a brand new PRS. Instead bought 2 pre owned. Good news is, I can buy one more...lol! I hope I didn't screw this up...lol.
'22 SE SC245
'20 SE burled ash CU24

Last edited:
I hate to say it but I am pretty happy. I had an SE CU24 prior to the divorce, and loved it (once it was set up), and I wanted a 245 have been learning to do my own set ups. Both still had plastic in the back plates.

So, spent a couple hours with them (cleaning and set ups). I have the bodies, and fretboards cleaned and oiled. The SC was really dry and filthy fretboard.

The CU24 had not really been played., but the burled ash is gorgeous (to my eyes). Fretboard is not dirty or dry.

Going to start checking frets etc now...

Thanks for all the advice thus far!

Last edited:
Back