Advice on what PRS SE to get

fenderbendr

I'm looking to get a PRS SE to add to my collection. The only PRS I've owned was an SE Silver Sky a few years ago, and I only had it for a short time. I'm wanting to get a PRS with humbuckers to try and see what makes PRS great.

I currently have a Tele, Strat, SG, Epiphone 335, and a few acoustics. I've tried and sold numerous Les Pauls as I just couldn't find them comfortable to play and deal with the weight.

I have some back issues so I'm wanting to stay under 8lbs.

I love the new Turquoise and Iri Blue color on the SE's, and I'd be using it for clean to higher gain stuff.

I've been looking at the CE 24, Custom 24, 594, and the Swamp ash Special. Not sure if I'd like 22 or 24 frets more.

Any advice and suggestions would be welcome!

I've got three different SE's and one Core model.

The first one I bought was a used SE Custom 24, which I considered the original PRS model.
I didn't really want/need 24 frets (my Gibsons are 22 and Fenders are 21 fret models), but it hung/felt like a Strat and was very comfortable.
The trem works very well, goes back to tune much better than Fenders I've had. The position of the neck pickup is a little further back than 22 fret guitars, giving it a little different sound than 22 fret (Gibson style) guitars. The pickups split quite well with push pull control. The pattern thin neck shape took a little getting used to, but I really like it now.

My second SE was a Custom 22 semi hollow with a wrap tail intonated bridge. It's as light as a feather and a nice sized comfy neck. No pickup split option on this model.

The third SE was an SE 245, which I bought as my "not a Les Paul-Les Paul". This is the only SE I have NOT replaced the stock pickups on. They are really quite good as they come from factory. Has a nice sized (big) comfy neck, wrap tail intonated bridge, and four controls (two volume, two tone) which is a little different than the Custom 24 or Custom 22's I have. It is different layout than a Gibson style 4 knob guitar.
Both volumes are on the top row, both tones are on the bottom row. It was a little off-putting, but after playing for a short time, it actually made more sense than neck controls on top, bridge on bottom. No pickup split option on this guitar.

I did mention that I have one Core model, which is a Custom 24. which (again) is due to my feeling that it is "the" PRS guitar.
My ONLY complaint about the Custom 24 and 22 models is only one volume control which prevents you from blending volumes when in the middle position on your pickup selector......But, I guess that's why PRS makes the DGT model, which now comes in SE line.

Short explanation is that there are SE's for every need, so figure out what's important as far as options/features.
The SE's are really nice guitars, especially for their price. Usually the only thing that "might" be needed is a pickup swap.
I was stunned when I first played the SE Custom 24 I bought first.

Last edited:
page-15
index.php
index.php

Thanks for the replies everyone. I prefer lighter weight guitars, and it seems like the 594’s average a good bit lighter than the trem models. I’m having a hard time finding a Turquoise SAS under 8lbs with a nice top.

I’m not a big neck pickup user, so the 22 vs 24 fret thing wouldn’t bother me.

Is there a big tone and feel difference between the CE and Custom 24? I’m liking the much lower price and black headstock of the CE model over the Custom 24. I also like the selector switch over the blade. Just not sure if it can handle higher gain like the custom 24 with the bolt on neck

Back