SE Custom 24 has much changed from 2022 to now?

BorkBTW

Soon to-be PRS Owner
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I've been obsessing over acquiring an SE Custom 24 for a few weeks now. The Core Custom 24 has been my dream guitar ever since I saw one in Guitar World magazine as a teenager and I just recently learned about the SE line and that I could have something pretty close! I've done tons of research and was initially planning to buy new but am starting to pivot towards buying used to save a little cash.

For anyone who has played an SE Custom from both years or better yet has owned them, I'm curious is much as changed from the 2022 to the 2024 models. The main thing I'm wondering about is the body carve. I really like the deeper carve. I've been looking at the 2024 quilts and see they have a pretty pronounced carve on them and I really like that.

I encountered a used 2022 Black-gold sunburst with the quilted maple top which initially threw me for a loop since I thought they were new as of 2024, but after a bit of research it appears to have been a sweetwater exclusive. In the pictures of the guitar that I'm looking to get, the body didnt seem to have much of a carve/bevel at all but its also hard to tell for sure due to the lighting of the images. Could someone possibly clear this up for me? I'm also asking the seller if they can send pictures of the side profile so maybe that will help.

Another question is, are the 2022 made in Korea or in Indonesia? It seems from what I've seen online that the Indonesian factory is really putting out some stellar quality so I was looking for one from there.

Sorry if this has been answered before. I tried doing my due diligence and scoured the internet before asking.

They started doing the shallow violin carve on the SE line in 2023. Personally, I prefer the softer bevel top.

The Custom models have been made in Indonesia for quite some time now.

Okay thank you very much for clearing that up! It looks like a beautiful guitar regardless. I may still pull the trigger since there is always the option to trade it in if I don't like the look/feel.

I think in real life the new se carve looks more shallow than violin. Almost gives the body a pancake effect to me. Wish they had gone proper shallow violin like the ce. Angles and lighting play a big factor in pics.

2022 is Indonesia.

Snag that '22 and enjoy! Used is a smart way to go because there will be more. There's always more PRS once you taste that gateway drug..

Well after asking here and messaging the seller for more pictures, I found that the same seller had the guitar and finish but a 2023 so I made the impulse buy and will soon be able to join all of the fine people here as a PRS owner! Its going to be a very long week waiting... 🥹

There's always more PRS once you taste that gateway drug..

I'm already looking at all of the other options that are out there... While doing my search I found so many more that I want. I think a McCarty or a semi-hollow is next on my list!

Well after asking here and messaging the seller for more pictures, I found that the same seller had the guitar and finish but a 2023 so I made the impulse buy and will soon be able to join all of the fine people here as a PRS owner! Its going to be a very long week waiting... 🥹

I'm already looking at all of the other options that are out there... While doing my search I found so many more that I want. I think a McCarty or a semi-hollow is next on my list!
Sweet! Congrats on your first.

I think in real life the new se carve looks more shallow than violin. Almost gives the body a pancake effect to me. Wish they had gone proper shallow violin like the ce.
I think the limiting factor is the veneer on the SE models. They've probably made some advances in how they treat their veneer to conform to the compound curves, but it's still not at the level where it can conform to a true "violin carve." The CE is still a fully carved solid figured maple top, with no veneer. That makes a big difference.

My brother from another mother...

My first was a SE Custom 24 quilt top Sweetwater exclusive purchased in October '23.
Since then, I've purchased 3 more SEs; SE Zach Myers, SE McCarty 594 single cut and a SE CE-24 satin standard.
They each have their own distinct voice and characteristics. Depending on my mood, I know which one to grab; they are all keepers.

My plan is to buy various SE models, to get a feel for what I want in my first core model. Some kind of 25"/22 fret is next on my list...

I think the limiting factor is the veneer on the SE models. They've probably made some advances in how they treat their veneer to conform to the compound curves, but it's still not at the level where it can conform to a true "violin carve." The CE is still a fully carved solid figured maple top, with no veneer. That makes a big difference.
The veneer is so thin.. Probably a factor in there for sure, but I think it's also a cost thing overall, labor and materials. The deeper the carves the more wood.

I can't remember which maker, but I read on one of the boards a while back, one of them has more of a carve and veneer. For the life of me I can't remember who. Hell, maybe my memory is making it up or confusing it with all that other useless knowledge floating around up there.

My brother from another mother...

My first was a SE Custom 24 quilt top Sweetwater exclusive purchased in October '23.
Since then, I've purchased 3 more SEs; SE Zach Myers, SE McCarty 594 single cut and a SE CE-24 satin standard.
They each have their own distinct voice and characteristics. Depending on my mood, I know which one to grab; they are all keepers.

My plan is to buy various SE models, to get a feel for what I want in my first core model. Some kind of 25"/22 fret is next on my list...
Haha wow that's awesome! I can only hope that my path continues to a go a similar route! Sounds like you've already acquired a very nice collection.

Welcome @BorkBTW and congratulations.

Looking forward to your new guitar thread.
Thank you very much! I'm hoping that thread comes sooner rather than later! 😁

I've not owned an SE Custom, but I do have an SE Silver Sky Maple that is from Cortec in Indonesia. My opinion of the SE line based upon my limited experience and sample size is that the Indonesian SE's are little more than polished turds. I ordered my SE Silver Sky Maple in January, 2024, and what I received had very poor fret work (i.e. sharp fret edges, gritty, rough frets, badly finished nut, and a pronounced dead spot on the 3rd and 4th strings at the 13th and 14th frets.). The replacement that I received also had super sharp fret ends and as a bonus, even though the nut was cut properly, it wasn't glued properly. I wound up having to give the nut a couple of passes over a sanding block and had to make a couple passes with a file on the neck and had to glue and clamp the nut myself. If buying used, I would recommend searching out a Korean made SE. Based upon the various niggles I've seen here and elsewhere online, it seems that QC issues are much more prevalent with the Indonesian SE models vs. the Korean made ones.

I’ve not had the same experience, I have a Tremonti SE 2008 (Korea) and a 2021 SE CU24-08 (Indonesia). Both are superbly playable with no quality defects (although the nut on the Tremonti is awful but I’ll replace that), the biggest difference is the Korean has recessed back covers and the Indonesian doesn’t.

I bought both used but the CU24-08 was indeed mint, I guess the guy bought it and never played it.

Update:

So I got the guitar and it's been about two weeks.

So first I'll just get it out of the way that the carve on the top was a bit disappointing to me. In my head I thought the shallow violin carve was a little more pronounced than it is. It's hardly even noticeable to be honest. But that is the only thing I can complain about. I'm blown away by the craftsmanship on it for the price point. When I first sat down to play it I was really speechless about how good the fretboard felt. I'm not sure if the shop that sent it had the action set up or if its just how well these guitars are built but it felt buttery-smooth.

Then there's the pickups. All I can say is wow. This guitar sounds so so good. It blows my LTD with active duncans out of the water. It seems to excel at anything from blues to metal. I'm not a huge fan of the coil tap, but its still nice to have it there as an option.

This guitar is now my baby and I will cherish it. Hopefully I can give it some more siblings eventually 😁

Side note:
I havent played much in the last 5-10 years but this guitar has inspired me and has had me playing hours a day again so 110% worth it.

Glad you’re enjoying your new guitar.

The SE carve is shallow to incorporate the veneer top.

Great top!
Thank you! I was pretty please with this one!

Glad you’re enjoying your new guitar.

The SE carve is shallow to incorporate the veneer top.
Thanks! Yeah that completely makes sense. I was expecting something a bit deeper or more pronounced, but again this is the only thing I have to complain about. The guitar is gorgeous and well built all the way through so I'm more than happy.

Update:

So I got the guitar and it's been about two weeks.

So first I'll just get it out of the way that the carve on the top was a bit disappointing to me. In my head I thought the shallow violin carve was a little more pronounced than it is. It's hardly even noticeable to be honest. But that is the only thing I can complain about. I'm blown away by the craftsmanship on it for the price point. When I first sat down to play it I was really speechless about how good the fretboard felt. I'm not sure if the shop that sent it had the action set up or if its just how well these guitars are built but it felt buttery-smooth.

Then there's the pickups. All I can say is wow. This guitar sounds so so good. It blows my LTD with active duncans out of the water. It seems to excel at anything from blues to metal. I'm not a huge fan of the coil tap, but its still nice to have it there as an option.

This guitar is now my baby and I will cherish it. Hopefully I can give it some more siblings eventually 😁

Side note:
I havent played much in the last 5-10 years but this guitar has inspired me and has had me playing hours a day again so 110% worth it.
Outstanding!

Back