Image hosting sites

Peter Gurton

Are there any other sites to host pictures other than Photobucket to enable pictures to be added to posts? I get multiple malware warnings and the ever so annoying animated popups whenever I go to the Photobucket site. Can I use pictures from Pinterest?

If you do not mind paying, you can get your own server with a hosting company, and FTP into that.
I have had my own server for quite awhile that I keep my personal FJ Cruiser website on, and also have folders on it for pics.
Mine runs $360 a year.
Use to be half of that, but with all the pics I have on off road and camping sites, the bandwidth ran up years ago, so I have been at $360 for a few years now.
But it is a good piece of mind knowing your pics are not going to disappear or be on a shared server that may have malware on it.

That seems expensive to me unless you're talking about a VPN or some other self managed business type system? I have an account/domain/web registered at one.com and it's much much cheaper than that. I have a lot of stuff on there for my personal use but I also use it to experiment with bulletin boards (phpBB) and Wordpress blogs (all PHP based) etc. for customers. Thinking about it I could always stick a PHP gallery up there, would certainly be better that PB.

Yeah, I could actually run a forum off of my server too if I wanted.
But I just got it years ago to keep track of the mods I did to my '91 4Runner, then added the FJ to it to keep track of mods, runs we went on, and camping trips.

The main benefit too is the photo storage, and unlimited space I have.
Plus I know the guy personally that runs it, and they do hardware upgrades when required.
Plus I do not need to turn in a ticket for an issue if one pops up, I can call him or just email him and get a fast response.
I was on a different server before him, and it was a nightmare to get service if the server was down.
I do not mind paying a bit more for the kind of service I get.

PRkFJM5.png

My new guitar. I used Imgur and the Direct link (email & IM) url.

@CoreyT - I installed Zenphoto but can't carry on as I can't change the folder chmod settings at work, I need a proper FTP client which I don't have here. A friend suggested picasa but that looks too intrusive to me so I set up the gallery supplied with my web package and it seems fine so my domain may be of use for a few more years:)

This attached from my site:
145648841486432200_resized.jpg

Last edited:
For a great FTP client try Filezilla. It's free, has no junky advertising, and has frequent upgrades. I love it. Plus it runs on Windows, Macs, and Linux, totally cross platform.

Mixstar, I use Filezilla like Mark above uses.
Use to use Cute FTP before that, but Filezilla is one of the best free FTP clients.

I use CuteFTP:cool:

Works for me, always has.

If you have a CuteFTP license why go Filezilla? I use Filezilla from time to time, it works but CuteFTP rules.

Last edited:
I use Filezilla like Mark above uses

There's a potential danger involved using Filezilla for transferring files to and from a web server or backing up files as Filezilla has difficulty discriminating between different file types especially files without extensions due to an incorrect setting as default. It wants to treat all files without extensions or files with extensions it doesn't recognise as ASCII which they ain't and if it does it will kill your files. Before transferring any files with Filezilla go to Edit> Settings> Transfers> File Types and UNCHECK the box next to "Treat files without extension as ASCII file."

145683060264498100_resized.jpg

Thanks for the tip.
Yeah, I had Cute FTP but had snags with it long ago, and the guy who hosts my server recommended Filezilla, and it has worked perfectly for me these past years.

Will check mine to see how that box is checked.
Never have had any problems with loosing files though, about the only thing I upload is jpg or htm files, and the latter is when I update one of my personal pages.

Yep, those files should be OK. This arose at phpBB as they rename all attachments to make the unique and remove the extension for security. It was those the FZ hosed. Anyway, with the setting as above you shouldn't get any problems. I did have a moan at FZ about this and they stated categorically they weren't going to change the default.

I've been using CuteFTP since the mid 90's and have never had an issue. I also use it professionally in my 'other' job.

Back