I want to put a little home studio together...

They're excellent headphones, and are a studio standard, especially for tracking. I've usually had a pair around in my studio, though I switched to the DT-1770 for tracking when it came out, and I like that set a lot, too.

However, it's really hard to find closed back cans with a flat frequency response, and the DT-770s are no exception.

Nonetheless, they have a nice top end that doesn't get harsh easily, and good transient response. As you mention, they're very comfortable for a lot of people, too.

I find they're a bit ripe in the bass, despite their response curve, but that could be the shape of my ears and head - it's different for everyone with any set of cans. They do goose the upper mids and highs quite a bit, but subjectively it comes across as detail, not harshness.

To make cans give the impression of speakers in a room, the frequency response is sometimes all over the place, and that's OK.

You can use Sonarworks for headphones on the mix bus to get a truly flat response; it's a great piece of software for cans. If I listen or mix on headphones, I'll often use it as a reality check.

They say don't mix on cans, especially closed back cans, but my son mixed a record on a pair of them while traveling on a tour, and it eventually went gold. And during the pandemic, I mixed audio for several TV ads on both the 1770s and a set of Audeze LCD-X, with clients who were on their computers remotely (I used cans to get an idea of what they were hearing, and in fact sent them sets of headphones so we'd all be on the same page).

You just never know what will work! But it's a good idea to 'learn' their response by using them and comparing with other monitoring sources anyway.
Bought the DT 770's just now. Thanks!

So I guess signing up for Reaper is next...

They're excellent headphones, and are a studio standard, especially for tracking. I've usually had a pair around in my studio, though I switched to the DT-1770 for tracking when it came out, and I like that set a lot, too.

However, it's really hard to find closed back cans with a flat frequency response, and the DT-770s are no exception.

Nonetheless, they have a nice top end that doesn't get harsh easily, and good transient response. As you mention, they're very comfortable for a lot of people, too.

I find they're a bit ripe in the bass, despite their response curve, but that could be the shape of my ears and head - it's different for everyone with any set of cans. They do goose the upper mids and highs quite a bit, but subjectively it comes across as detail, not harshness.

To make cans give the impression of speakers in a room, the frequency response is sometimes all over the place, and that's OK.

You can use Sonarworks for headphones on the mix bus to get a truly flat response; it's a great piece of software for cans. If I listen or mix on headphones, I'll often use it as a reality check.

They say don't mix on cans, especially closed back cans, but my son mixed a record on a pair of them while traveling on a tour, and it eventually went gold. And during the pandemic, I mixed audio for several TV ads on both the 1770s and a set of Audeze LCD-X, with clients who were on their computers remotely (I used cans to get an idea of what they were hearing, and in fact sent them sets of headphones so we'd all be on the same page).

You just never know what will work! But it's a good idea to 'learn' their response by using them and comparing with other monitoring sources anyway.
I use the headphones as one data point for a mix. I tend do a lot of the initial EQ, compression and clean up with the headphones. Here is the truth as to why. I was mixing and mastering a rap song for a guy I work for. The tracks were not great quality so I had to work on them a lot. My wife got really tired of hearing me play parts of the song over and over again to hear the changes I was making. I bought the headphones to be able to do it in a manner that she would not hear and then I would go to my monitors when I felt like I had it in a place I liked it. She heard the song much less that way. So, headphones kept my marriage in tact.

I use the headphones as one data point for a mix. I tend do a lot of the initial EQ, compression and clean up with the headphones. Here is the truth as to why. I was mixing and mastering a rap song for a guy I work for. The tracks were not great quality so I had to work on them a lot. My wife got really tired of hearing me play parts of the song over and over again to hear the changes I was making. I bought the headphones to be able to do it in a manner that she would not hear and then I would go to my monitors when I felt like I had it in a place I liked it. She heard the song much less that way. So, headphones kept my marriage in tact.
I think many of us use headphones to save our relationships. :)

I think many of us use headphones to save our relationships. :)
My wife doesn't hear all that well - has been this way for many years - and she listens to the television WAY too LOUDLY.

Every evening. Every single evening. Drives me up the wall!

I use a pair of cans upstairs in my den so I don't have to listen to HER noise! She can't hear my studio noise whether I use cans or monitors.

Our televisions owe their continued existence to my headphones. Without them, I'd have taken a hammer to the TVs years ago. ;)

My wife doesn't hear all that well - has been this way for many years - and she listens to the television WAY too LOUDLY.

Every evening. Every single evening. Drives me up the wall!

I use a pair of cans upstairs in my den so I don't have to listen to HER noise! She can't hear my studio noise whether I use cans or monitors.

Our televisions owe their continued existence to my headphones. Without them, I'd have taken a hammer to the TVs years ago. ;)
My parents are like this. My dad is going deaf. They use Bluetooth headphones for tv at their house. Keeps my mom sane.

Back