I want to put a little home studio together...

Considering how new you are to this, you may want to ask Prina to show you the basic workflow in his DAW if that is an option when you pick up the interface. It will jump start you getting things hooked up and begin recording!
I am 100% new to the digital recording thing.

Haven't done any home recording since the 1970's back when Teac 3340's were the rage.

I have always been curious about those newer Tascam mixer/interface/recorders. Reminds of the four track cassette thing that is probably somewhere in my basement

Focusrite's early gear was designed by Rupert Neve, who was one of the founders of the company. Their first console cost a cool one million 1990-ish dollars. I believe it was designed for George Martin's studio.

I bought some of the early Red Series gear - a mic preamp was around $3500 1994 dollars, and you still see them in high end studios (in fact, I still have one of my 1994 Focusrite pieces). It's among the best all time stuff.

Currently they make a RedNet interface that's used in high end pro studios. It's excellent. They also still make the Rupert Neve designed ISA 110 preamp that was in their million dollar console, and other very nice gear that lots of pros use happily.

Their entry level gear is quite good because they actually know what they're doing. Lots of manufacturers really don't.

Focusrite's early gear was designed by Rupert Neve, who was one of the founders of the company. Their first console cost a cool one million 1990-ish dollars. I believe it was designed for George Martin's studio.

I bought some of the early Red Series gear - a mic preamp was around $3500 1994 dollars, and you still see them in high end studios (in fact, I still have one of my 1994 Focusrite pieces). It's among the best all time stuff.

Currently they make a RedNet interface that's used in high end pro studios. It's excellent. They also still make the Rupert Neve designed ISA 110 preamp that was in their million dollar console, and other very nice gear that lots of pros use happily.

Their entry level gear is quite good because they actually know what they're doing. Lots of manufacturers really don't.
Thanks. Was hoping you'd join in. You're probably the only one here who's actually heard my acoustic stuff! ;)

Thanks. Was hoping you'd join in. You're probably the only one here who's actually heard my acoustic stuff! ;)
Feel free to ping me any time if you need recording tips.

Here's a bit of the ad writing/recording/audio post/sound design work, just click on the videos and they'll play. The first one is the ad reel, though it opens with the video we scored for the opening of Carrie Underwood's tour a few years ago. The last spot was an international one for Ford's overseas division.

I'm actually happy with the work done on these. There's some good variety.

Last edited:
Feel free to ping me any time if you need recording tips.

Here's a bit of the ad writing/recording/audio post/sound design work, just click on the videos and they'll play. The first one is the ad reel, though it opens with the video we scored for the opening of Carrie Underwood's tour a few years ago. The last spot was an international one for Ford's overseas division.

I'm actually happy with the work done on these. There's some good variety.

That music made me smile!

Audacity will be very limited compared to other DAWs. Reaper is well respected and comes with a lot of free plugin effects for your tracks so you won't have to rely on your pedals. Unless you're going for something specific it's pretty standard to record dry then add things like compression, delay, and reverb later in the mix. Your computer's specs will determine how many FX you can run at the same time.

Reaper also has tons of documentation, a pretty robust community of free 3rd party plugins, and a very generous trial period. The license is actually cheap.

I've been using StudioOne from Presonus for a few years now and really like it. They've been pushing a subscription service really hard lately which makes me nervous they're going to go all in with it. If that happens I'll definitely go the Reaper route. I got rid of ProTools for the same reason.

Do you have a Mac? If so, GarageBand is free. It’s just cut down Logic. Did I mention it’s free? It has built in effects and loops and stuff to get you going. And it has Drummer, which will analyze your audio and make a drum track for you.

Focusrite is fine. MOTU and Universal Audio are also good contenders.

Do you have a Mac? If so, GarageBand is free. It’s just cut down Logic. Did I mention it’s free? It has built in effects and loops and stuff to get you going. And it has Drummer, which will analyze your audio and make a drum track for you.

Focusrite is fine. MOTU and Universal Audio are also good contenders.
Windows 11

Audacity will be very limited compared to other DAWs. Reaper is well respected and comes with a lot of free plugin effects for your tracks so you won't have to rely on your pedals. Unless you're going for something specific it's pretty standard to record dry then add things like compression, delay, and reverb later in the mix. Your computer's specs will determine how many FX you can run at the same time.

Reaper also has tons of documentation, a pretty robust community of free 3rd party plugins, and a very generous trial period. The license is actually cheap.

I've been using StudioOne from Presonus for a few years now and really like it. They've been pushing a subscription service really hard lately which makes me nervous they're going to go all in with it. If that happens I'll definitely go the Reaper route. I got rid of ProTools for the same reason.
I'm leaning towards Reaper.

:rolleyes:
Just what I needed. More shame.

Hope I make it through the day.
;)
shame.png.jpg

I'm leaning towards Reaper.
There are lot's of videos to guide you through getting started on whatever DAW you choose! I have never worked with Reaper (I use Cubase 12 Pro on Windows 10), but I know when my girl needed to do some audio editing a few years ago, I was able to quickly teach her how to use Audacity as it is the simplest multi-track DAW I have ever played with. That's not to say it can't do what you want, just saying there are not a lot of bells and whistles to confuse someone who is unfamiliar with this technology. I'd be happy to get on a video conference with you if you need any assistance once you get your interface. As for Prina, when you mentioned he was lending you his interface, I thought he was doing so by the two of you getting together. Anyway, best of luck and PM me if you would like any assistance.

Last edited:
I started with reaper and quickly grew frustrated and moved to logic. Logic is much easier to work with imo. I guess I’m lucky I’m on a Mac.

Back