How would you finish Roasted Swamp Ash?

Congratulations ! She will be very beautiful in any case! It reminds me of my fender limited edition 56, I will simply let this beauty breathe!
hWkwedS.jpeg
That's very close to the look I'm after! A little darker but I have a feeling mine's going to go dark too. Is that a factory finish or did you refinish it?

I'd go Mary Kaye with it. It's such a classic finish.
Tempting. I don't know if I can get it right the first time using StewMac spray can nitro.

The Mary Kaye also uses gold hardware and i don't have any. But gold is part of the look.

I did order some lacquer from StewMac and in addition to clear grain filler, clear lacquer and sanding sealer I ordered Vintage Amber for the neck and Vintage White for the body...just in case.

StewMac says Vintage White will get me the transparent Mary Kay finish if I want to tackle that.

Last edited:
That's very close to the look I'm after! A little darker but I have a feeling mine's going to go dark too. Is that a factory finish or did you refinish it?

It's not PRS but I really like this Fender, the finish is very fine, just a Flash Coat Lacquer and it's factory, fragile but the resonance is incredible! all natural and the roasted maple wood smells so good!

The relief of your future guitar is superb, it will perhaps be a little darker once finished but the definition of the wood grain will certainly be highlighted! a future masterpiece!

It's not PRS but I really like this Fender, the finish is very fine, just a Flash Coat Lacquer and it's factory, fragile but the resonance is incredible! all natural and the roasted maple wood smells so good!

The relief of your future guitar is superb, it will perhaps be a little darker once finished but the definition of the wood grain will certainly be highlighted! a future masterpiece!
I sure hope so! The body looks like an incredible piece of wood. I don't want it to get dark when I seal it and clear it.

A wee bit like this colour -

That is very classy! Is that a one piece body? Looks like honey or whiskey!

Last edited:
That is very classy! Is that a one piece body? Looks like honey or whiskey!

It looks like it may be. Not mine, just an online image I sourced. I think it’s aged-natural.

My Red Alder Strat has darkened after lacquer and time.

Here’s the neck as well -

This was made by a Dundee luthier, a very talented man and good friend.

Last edited:
...is awesome.

Bet it sounds as good as it looks with those P90's. Looking at the top horn it almost looks like it's a cap over mahogany but it could be just the lighting.

No it’s a one piece Red Alder body.

It was built for me about 12 years ago.

Here’s the back (cover plate is IRW) -

The back cover is a piece of IRW.

And an arty shot -

I'm thinking the grain on this body is so nice I don't want to hide it under a pickguard.

But I have to mount the volume and tone controls and switch some way.

I had a damaged red tortoise pickguard and cut it into this:
It would cover just the rout for the controls and here I've laid it over the controls of another guitar I'm working on.
Those arrow knobs are 90 years old and made from Bakelite!

They are the same knobs that would have been on a mid-1930's Rickenbacher Lap Steel. Kinda cool.

Last edited:
Back