How would you finish Roasted Swamp Ash?

bahama blue fade to turquoise with a pearl pickguard
Hmmm...appreciate it but that's a lotta work. Not quite the retro look I'm after either.

Gotta keep it simple...I'm runnin' out of time.

I would like a Sonic Blue Strat tho! That's the first color I remember seeing as a kid.

I just completed my first partcaster sourced from different sellers. Came out great. But sheesh I never realized how annoying a neck pocket can be for a strat. Certainly was a learning curve and I’m grateful that it was a relic because I chipped the finish around the neck!

I agree what others have said. Go more natural finish. Maybe a slight shaded burst. Let that grain show.

IMO ONLY!

I Would Go As Simple And Understated As Possible And Keep It As natural As You Can. Let The Wood Speak For Itself And Let It Breathe! It Looks Beautiful By The Way!
Exactly! Clear lacquer.

I've never finished swamp ash though and apparently it gets pretty dark. And the pores are pretty big. So it may need grain filler.

At about the 3 minute mark he compares two swamp ash bodies one unfinished and one finished in CLEAR with no stain.

The one finished in clear LOOKS like it's been stained!

Exactly! Clear lacquer.

I've never finished swamp ash though and apparently it gets pretty dark. And the pores are pretty big. So it may need grain filler.

At about the 3 minute mark he compares two swamp ash bodies one unfinished and one finished in CLEAR with no stain.

The one finished in clear LOOKS like it's been stained!

I Think That Wood Piece You Have With The Clear Lacquer Darkening It A Bit Would Be Stunning. That Is How I Would Roll But That Is Me. :)

I Think That Wood Piece You Have With The Clear Lacquer Darkening It A Bit Would Be Stunning. That Is How I Would Roll But That Is Me. :)
No I'm with you. That's the route I'm taking.

Just bought a Bakelite pickguard and finally found a brand new, unused Callaham Strat vibrato I knew I had somewhere but couldn't locate. That'll be going on it.

Bet it will look gorgeous.

Please send pics at various stages! Seems like there's lots of interest to see how it turns out, especially the finish!

Edit: Here's one additional suggestion for the finish: PRS Tung Oil. Darkens the wood a bit and brings out the grain as shown below on a test piece of oak and it gets shiner with more applications (3 used so far on the test strip, and disregard the dirty and grey spots). One of the reasons it gets hard and shiny is that unlike most oils it polymerizes over time. And you have all that area under the pickguard to use as a test area. @László used tung oil on some of his studio furniture.

Screenshot-2023-10-18-at-12-18-38-PM.png

Last edited:
Swamp ash is a really captivating wood. A wonderful departure from the “beautiful flame maple” that we see so frequently here. My imagination is running away, but flame and quilte etc tops strike me as the beautiful, sophisticated young dames of the old English aristocracy. Swamp ash strikes me as the fire haired young beauty of the Scottish Highlands who might drop you with an arrow before you saw her, just to see if you were worthy.
Pining for the little red-haired girl. I think we've mostly been there at least once in our lives.

Lotta cabbage there.

Bet it will look gorgeous.

Please send pics at various stages! Seems like there's lots of interest to see how it turns out, especially the finish!

Edit: Here's one additional suggestion for the finish: PRS Tung Oil. Darkens the wood a bit and brings out the grain as shown below on a test piece of oak and it gets shiner with more applications (3 used so far on the test strip, and disregard the dirty and grey spots). One of the reasons it gets hard and shiny is that unlike most oils it polymerizes over time. And you have all that area under the pickguard to use as a test area. @László used tung oil on some of his studio furniture.

Screenshot-2023-10-18-at-12-18-38-PM.png
I'm thinking nitro. Especially on the neck. I do want to put a decal on the peghead and that needs to be sprayed over with lacquer.

Just spent some time perusing StewMac's website and picking out lacquer and supplies.

Last edited:
I'm thinking nitro. Especially on the neck. I do want to put a decal on the peghead and that needs to be sprayed over with lacquer.

Just spent some time perusing StewMac's website and picking out lacquer and supplies.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this project come to fruition! Don’t hesitate to share along the way!

Back