How would you finish Roasted Swamp Ash?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Got this for my birthday from Laura Lee. This will be the first guitar I named after a wife or girlfriend.

So I'll be showing off both Laura Lees soon as I get this guitar together.

I'm kind of thinking clear lacquer and a black bakelite pickguard.

Or maybe make it look a little like a old Tele with a white transparent Mary Kaye Strat finish.

Should i use a grain filler?

Or fill the grain with sealer before the final clear coats? That might use A LOT of lacquer,

What products do you like?

I've used ReRanch lacquers in spray cans and liked them.

There's also StewMac and Behlen.

Any suggestions will be read and appreciated.

Last edited:
Clear with a black guard would look good.
That's are what I'm leaning to. The wood is so beautiful and striking that natural might be best. And easiest.

Natural ash with just a clear gloss finish.

I've done lots of clear finishes on guitars and furniture but I've never used grain filler to achieve a flat, non-porous finish.

I've filled the pores with lacquer sealer but that used a lot of finish and required a lot of sanding. And then the sealer shrunk into the grain after a while anyway.

Need some advice about filling the grain.

Guess I'll watch some YouTube videos.

Last edited:
Give it the white dog hair treatment of the NF53, with a black 3 ply guard.
I'd like to go with black Bakelite to complete the '51 tele sort of look. But I can't find one for under $100.

Bakelite is expensive!

I'd also like a bridge/vibrato like Jeff Beck used. Two point like on my SE Silver Skys. I think they stay in tune better.

Congratulations ! She will be very beautiful in any case! It reminds me of my fender limited edition 56, I will simply let this beauty breathe!
hWkwedS.jpeg

Swamp ash is a really captivating wood. A wonderful departure from the “beautiful flame maple” that we see so frequently here. My imagination is running away, but flame and quilte etc tops strike me as the beautiful, sophisticated young dames of the old English aristocracy. Swamp ash strikes me as the fire haired young beauty of the Scottish Highlands who might drop you with an arrow before you saw her, just to see if you were worthy.

Back