Hitting the middle pickup with plectrum

Sancho Panza

Probably due to my lack of skill, I often am hitting the 2 raised magnet poles of the middle pickup of my SE EG HSS. Lowering the pickup obviously fixes this, but at a cost to the sound. My solution was to take off the pickguard, unscrew the middle pickup, and re-fix with 2 washers (about 1mm thick) between the plastic pickup cover and the metal ears of the pickup. The result is that all the poles are sunk by about 1mm. Having the plactrum clash with a flat surface or a slight hole is better than clashing with pole pieces. Probably better to use non-metal washers but didnt have any. Still, great improvement overall in my playing enjoyment. Just need to work on the skill thing.

Probably due to my lack of skill, I often am hitting the 2 raised magnet poles of the middle pickup of my SE EG HSS. Lowering the pickup obviously fixes this, but at a cost to the sound. My solution was to take off the pickguard, unscrew the middle pickup, and re-fix with 2 washers (about 1mm thick) between the plastic pickup cover and the metal ears of the pickup. The result is that all the poles are sunk by about 1mm. Having the plactrum clash with a flat surface or a slight hole is better than clashing with pole pieces. Probably better to use non-metal washers but didnt have any. Still, great improvement overall in my playing enjoyment. Just need to work on the skill thing.
I myself shy away from guitars with middle pups for this very reason! We all have our own styles ;~)) It is my understanding that EVH's guitar was tuned pretty flat because he gripped it so tight that it sharpened all of the notes when he would put so much pressure on them, so he too could have worked on his skillz ;~))

I've been playing Strats my entire guitar-playing life. I often pick on one side or the other. Also, I don't pick very deep into the string, if that makes sense. In other words, a controlled attack where only the very tip of the pick hits the strings. This is a good practice anyway for a smooth and fast pick stroke. When I play a bit more loose I usually attack the thing between the middle and neck pickups.

This Is Why I Don't Have Middle Pickup Guitars Aside From 1 And I Can't Bond With A Strat To Save My Life. When I Pick I Hit The Middle Pickup In Some Manner. Because Of This I Have Let Go Of Some Amazing Guitars That I Would Love To Have Back. In Hindsight, I Should Have Yanked Out The Middle Pickup And Kept/Played The Guitars As They Were Absolutely Stellar. Gotta Go With What Work For You!

Serious question for those of you who have an issue with hitting the middle pickup. Or maybe several.

How aggressively are you picking, that you keep hitting the middle pickup?

How deeply do you pick?

Is this while strumming chords, playing leads, or both?

I understand that many people choose to pick the space between the two humbuckers and pick there. But I pick right over the bridge pickup (very little but some), in between, right over the neck pickup and even higher up the neck. I have S style and NF3 guitars with a middle pickup, and I don't think I've ever hit a pickup once with a pick. I'd like to see how you are playing that this is an issue. Not busting on anyone at all, just trying to understood this issue. Even if you usually play something with 2 HBs and get your first guitar with a middle pickup, is it not something you can immediately adjust too? I can't imagine having to sell the NF3 because I was so annoyed at constantly hitting the middle pickup. Or any S type guitar...

Just trying to understand how you are picking that it's an issue. Do you "choke up" on the pick at all? Or do you hold it right at the end? When you strum, how far is the tip of the pick down past the string level? Trying to visualize...

Last edited:
Choice of picks has got to be part of this. I use triangle type Gibson picks which are a bit bigger so asking for trouble I know, but regular picks dont work for me as they seemed flimsy to hold. I tried just picking between middle and bridge but it was difficult to be consistent on that. If I hit the pole just once it would throw me. I have done a few short pub sets and I wouldnt want to screw up for something dumb like that. Effectively levelling the poles has fixed the issue which is why I thought I would share. It was cheaper than buying a new pickup that doesnt have level poles, like Seymour Duncan Quarterpound pickups and others.

it's just a matter of learning where to put your hand, either just behind or maybe on top of the middle pickup area to strum between the middle and neck PU. Play that guitar each day, concentrate on where you hand feels best or is getting the tone you want (closer to the bridge will be a "harder" sound than closer to the neck) and in a hand-full of weeks you'll develop the muscle memory to just strum away.

It really took a while for me to bond with S style guitars. I’d definitely hit the middle pickup when picking and often change the pickup selector position unintentionally too. I was able to resolve hitting the pickup selector over time but I found the only way to not hit the middle pickups was to lower all the pickups. I like my S style pickups LOW to where they are just a couple mm above the pick guard.

Gonna disagree hard with anyone telling you to lighten your attack. If you’re trying to hit the sound of jimi or Stevie you absolutely need the aggressive attack to the point where your are practically strumming but only hitting the string or note you want. Controlled madness.

Last edited:
Serious question for those of you who have an issue with hitting the middle pickup. Or maybe several.

How deeply do you pick?

I understand that many people choose to pick the space between the two humbuckers and pick there. But I pick right over the bridge pickup (very little but some), in between, right over the neck pickup and even higher up the neck. I have S style and NF3 guitars with a middle pickup, and I don't think I've ever hit a pickup once with a pick. I'd like to see how you are playing that this is an issue. Not busting on anyone at all, just trying to understood this issue. Even if you usually play something with 2 HBs and get your first guitar with a middle pickup, is it not something you can immediately adjust too? I can't imagine having to sell the NF3 because I was so annoyed at constantly hitting the middle pickup. Or any S type guitar...

Just trying to understand how you are picking that it's an issue. Do you "choke up" on the pick at all? Or do you hold it right at the end? When you strum, how far is the tip of the pick down past the string level? Trying to visualize...
Down Strokes On The Chugs Playing The Brutals Doesn't Work When Hitting The Middle Pickup. Alternate Picking Fast Stuff On The Heavies Doesn't Work When Hitting The Middle Pickup.

The Way I Play And How I Position My Picking Hand, Anchor My Pinky, Etc Just Doesn't Work For Me Personally With A Middle Pickup In A Guitar. I Have To Be Mindful (In Some Instances) Of Knobs And Switches On The Guitar As Well So I Only Have So Much Room To Get Around.

S Type Guitars Are Just Not Comfortable To Me To Play And I Have Never Been Able To Get A Metal Sound Out Of Them To My Liking And I Have Tried Like Heck Over The Years.

Last edited:
1658933116224-png.1009752

Gonna disagree hard with anyone telling you to lighten your attack. If you’re trying to hit the sound of jimi or Stevie you absolutely need the aggressive attack to the point where your are practically strumming but only hitting the string or note you want. Controlled madness.

There's a reason Stevie's Number One was missing all the finish in the area above the the neck/middle pickups.

I have a strat, and I lowered the middle pickup to avoid this, but yes: I also have this issue and it's why I shy away from 3 pickup guitars. My DGT and tele do almost everything I need. Sometimes only a strat will do, and you have to deal with the middle pickup, like it or not.

How deeply do you pick?

I play like SRV: I "floor it". I don't hybrid pick either (which lends itself to a softer attack in general.)

SRV-pic.jpg

To be serious for a change.
In all honesty it's not something I have noticed or had an issue with.
Yes I have a Strat in my collection, it doesn't get played too often but I don't recall any middle pickup strikes?
I believe it really all has to do with your particular style of "attack" and that's probably not about to change anytime soon if that's how you learned.
However I do find I'm playing lighter and lighter these days, those SRV type attacks are long gone and I'm even using my fingers a lot nowadays so take it as you want.

Never had the problem with a regular Strat as I pick between the middle and bridge pickup.

I don't like a SSH set up because there's not enough room to pick between the middle single coil and bridge humbucker.

When i played a three pickup Les Paul Custom with three full size humbuckers it was a problem and I eventually sold the guitar. But I did love the sound of the middle and bridge pickup combined. That's how that guitar was wired.

Yngwie doesn't use the middle pickup on his Strat and screws it flush with the pickguard. That actually improves the tone of the remaining two pickups and the guitar itself (Strat or Silver Sky) because you have one less set of magnets pulling the strings out of tune.

If I were you I'd concentrate on my touch and picking accuracy.

I'd hate to lose my middle pickup or compromise its tone.

Worst case: maybe switch to a regular Strat or Silver Sky...or a two humbucker guitar.

Last edited:
Back