Should I do anything to protect the pickup selector before putting DGT in Mono Gig Bag

Markcarl

I just got a Mono Vertigo Ultra Electric Guitar Gig Bag. I’ve heard good things about them as an alternative to a hard shell case when you are taking your guitar around town or on a road trip. Some people even fly with them. This is a top loading case. There are two zippers that open from the top and extend to about the middle of the case. The bag has a lot of padding but it is a fairly tight fit getting one of my SE or core DGTs in the bag. I kind of slide the guitar into the bag from the top or pull the guitar out of the bag from the top. I notice that the pickup selector is pushed to the neck pickup position when I put the guitar in the case and pulled to the bridge pickup position when I take the guitar out of the case. I kind of worry about the pickup selector getting damaged.

Do any of you use one of the Mono gig bags with your PRS? If so, do you do anything to protect your pickup selector switch before putting your guitar in the gig bag? I remember seeing a foam donut-shaped thing around the pickup selector of one or both of my core guitars when I first got them. I can’t find it though.

I’ll be taking my 10 top orange tiger burst DGT on a road trip to visit my son in Colorado for Thanksgiving. I asked if I could bring my SE DGT instead and he said no! He wants to play the fancy core guitar and compare it to his custom 24. I’m planning on taking the guitar in the mono case. I think it will be fine but I’m thinking I want to do something to protect the pickup selector switch.

i've used mono bags for years without issue, but the old-school classics, not the vertigo. i bought a vertigo for acoustics at one point because i was in a bind, and although it provides great protection, the entry is suboptimal, and i can see how you'd be concerned about the switch. personally, i have no issue using mono cases for travel or gigging. i would, however, think that removing the plastic tip would increase the opportunities for the switch to tear the fabric of the inside of the case. imho, just slide your guitar into the case, toss it on top of the pile of luggage, and bob's your uncle

I use the Mono Cases Sleeve, which is the lighter version gig bag, with my 513 with out any issues for years. Both selector switches are intact.

How about a donut that as a bonus doubles as an inflight snack?

Seriously, if worried, those foam rings that come with guitars are a good idea. Even a piece of foam from a craft store or something. Only concern I'd have is nitro safe with a one off. Always wrap in a cloth or forget the foam altogether and use a cloth wrap.

I used a Mono 2 guitar backpack for years. I replaced it with two Gator double cases and actually prefer them now. One for two electrics, and one for an acoustic body and an electric. Never broke anything with either brand!

I know gig bags are convenient but a core guitar is going in a hardshell case. Period.
Hardshell cases are great, especially for shipping or storage when I'm at my place (they're most useful because I like to drop a Humidipak in the cases to control humidity, and a soft case is too porous for that).

So I completely understand your thinking.

Nonetheless, there are several hybrid gig bags on the market that protect as well as a traditional hard case (possibly better), and they're a good ten - twelve pounds lighter. That makes a big difference when going out.

Fender offered one with the Mayer guitar by Incase (also sold separately but sadly, no longer made), and I bought one for a CU22 Soapbar that had a damaged hard case. I was truly impressed with it, and it still might be a 'best-ever' bag.

The Reunion Blues Continental, Mono M80, Mono Vertigo, Gator Icon and Gruvgear Gigblade 3 are current models that are also competitive with a hard case.

I'd be comfortable traveling with my PS or Core models in any of these, and I do use one with these guitars. I'd also be comfortable using a Hiscox molded case, another top-end, lightweight alternative to a wooden case, but less comfortable for travel. Then there are the carbon fiber or fiberglass cases that are clearly more protective than a wood case, but considerably more expensive.

Last edited:
Ive been using mono bags with my cores for years and havent had a problem. I do see your concern though, i had never thought about that happening. Ive had great luck with the Monos.
My son got a double mono case for tours in the UK and US this summer, and loves it. I thought it was really well made, though I went with a different brand because I prefer a side-carry strap. The four or five top brands are really great.

i've used mono bags for years without issue, but the old-school classics, not the vertigo. i bought a vertigo for acoustics at one point because i was in a bind, and although it provides great protection, the entry is suboptimal, and i can see how you'd be concerned about the switch. personally, i have no issue using mono cases for travel or gigging. i would, however, think that removing the plastic tip would increase the opportunities for the switch to tear the fabric of the inside of the case. imho, just slide your guitar into the case, toss it on top of the pile of luggage, and bob's your uncle

cut a piece of styrofoam to fit around/over the selector switch ,

This was my thought, however maybe put some cotton material around it to make it nitro safe.

Back