Help with colors...

The slate blue is on the bottom. I actually just sold the slate blue because of it being too close to the sub-zero. I have the sub-zero for sale now, but I'm really on the fence about it. I just bought a tobacco sunburst one that will be here tomorrow to replace the slate one.

I'm wondering of the slate blue is similar to the blue green only darker. Anyone know?

• Orange Tiger - Some of these look brown and some look orangish. What is the real color? (in a quilt)
I think this is your problem right here -- wood is an organic thing -- it used to be alive! -- so there is going to be some variation. Here's the other thing -- some stains change slightly as they age -- a natural purpleheart will slowly turn less purple and more brown as they age. I have one (in another brand), and I've decided to be alright with it now before it ages. Also, these are hand applied and sanded. I've seen Northern Lightseses that lean towards the blue, and I've seen Northern Lightseses that lean towards the green.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. I used to have a metallic bright green car. There were days I loved it, days I hated it, but never days I wished I'd never gotten it. Ultimately you're getting a Hollowbody II with piezo because it's a damn fine guitar.

Black Gold Burst is a very sharp color. Aquamarine is gorgeous.

A little surprised at Makena Blue on your list, but I do really like it.

Tremonti07.jpg

River blue with quilt looks really really good. I wouldn't rule it out. There are some nice quilted PRSi on reverb with river blue finish. There are 3+ 594's with river blue. Some are satin but it's better to try to imagine them with gloss finish IMHO.

River blue with quilt looks really really good. I wouldn't rule it out. There are some nice quilted PRSi on reverb with river blue finish. There are 3+ 594's with river blue. Some are satin but it's better to try to imagine them with gloss finish IMHO.

Thanks for the heads up. I've looked at some on reverb but I hadn't seen the ones you mentioned. The flames and quilts look so different which makes it hard to know what you're going to get.. This one (River Blue) is one of the nicer quilted ones I've seen.

t7bzm4tttld8lk1cbukm.jpg

I appreciate the comments you guys are giving. After looking in some of the directions you guys have mentioned I think I'm narrowing the list a bit. Here's the colors I'm liking he most so far unless someone shows me some quilted pics that change my mind.

Artist Package Colors
  • Aquamarine - This could be a very nice option
  • Blue Green - Very nice with quilted tops but seems less common. Has the tealish look but doesn't seem as dark as the slate blue which I think is darker than I want.
  • Faded Blue Jean - Better looking than I thought it would be. Seems harder to find.
  • Makena Blue - photos have been very deceiving but it could be a nice color, not sure I would take it over the other blues.
  • River Blue - The more I see this one, the more I like it.
  • Violet - This is one of my favorites. The few quilts I've seen have looked very good but this color is almost being oversold right now in the flame tops but not many quilts. Plus they vary greatly in look. Can sometimes have some brownish looking areas. Would love to see some nice quilts in this color.
Right now my top 3 (no particular order) would have to be
  • Blue Green
  • River Blue
  • Violet
These 3 seem to have a knack for bringing out the curls in the quilted tops and making them glow. Decisions Decisions. If anyone has these colors or has access to picks of these with quilts I'd appreciate if you'd share them here.

Thanks.

Not exactly blue green, this is grass stained blue jean. Also satin, which changes the look some. I've include the raw wood so you can get a sense of how the dye takes.

I don't see the grass stains (Lol) but that is a very pretty color and beautifully curled top. I really like the way the curls glow on it. Some colors like this one seem to help that but others seem to dampen it a bit. If you don't mind my asking what grade is the top? I only ask because while I'm sure it's at least a 10 top, it looks good enough to be a higher grade as well. Thanks for sharing.

I don't see the grass stains (Lol) but that is a very pretty color and beautifully curled top. I really like the way the curls glow on it. Some colors like this one seem to help that but others seem to dampen it a bit. If you don't mind my asking what grade is the top? I only ask because while I'm sure it's at least a 10 top, it looks good enough to be a higher grade as well. Thanks for sharing.
The green is hard to get in a photo and is pretty subtle. It shows along the grain in some of the lighter sections.
I'm not sure how the top was graded. This was part of what would now be called a wood library run.

The green is hard to get in a photo and is pretty subtle. It shows along the grain in some of the lighter sections.
I'm not sure how the top was graded. This was part of what would now be called a wood library run.

Wood Library is above Artist grade so I'm not thinking my tops will look as good as this one.

Someone brought up a good point that some of the colors change as the guitar ages. I'm concerned that it if I go with the Violet that it could turn a bit brownish. Anyone have any experience or knowledge about this?

Someone brought up a good point that some of the colors change as the guitar ages. I'm concerned that it if I go with the Violet that it could turn a bit brownish. Anyone have any experience or knowledge about this?

IMO yellows, reds, browns and oranges age very gracefully; blues, greens, purples and blues not so much.

Back