SE Mccarty 594 charcoal - can top colors be THIS much different?

goodbyeboy

Hi guys,

I ordered a beautiful looking mccarty yesterday. Can't wait to get it next week.

While I was waiting I was looking at some photos online, and realized that there are some that have tops with significantly different colors. I am assuming it's because of the lighting and angle and stuff, but I am curious - which one would be the closest color in real life? Is it possible that guitar colors could be THAT different even though they are the same model?

This is a fairly new color so I can't find anything on Youtube and photos I see are conflicting. I e-mailed the shop but unfortunately they already shipped it to me.

This is the one I ordered.
ae00-60740_3_.jpg

and this is the color I keep seeing on the web, with significantly different top in my opinion.

hufb80lxb8po3817dbco.jpg

and this is the one I saw on this one Japanese shop. This one i think is more blueish.

149b4626464d2a5ce0345c335ccdd4c36c3bc5.jpg

If any owner here can chip in and answer this for me I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Yes, they can be that different. Every guitar has variations and takes the stain differently. Even though it's a laminate, it's real wood. Lately there has been more variance than usual on the se line. Lighting, effects, and devices can play major role, sometime dealers pics look better and others they don't. Even my own pics of a guitar can vary quite a bit.

You truly won't know until you see it in person and even then it can shift.

Congrats on the new guitar! There was a seDC594 the other day at a shop that had a really cool blue effect when looking down from the playing position that the seSC594 in the dame finish didn't have. It was almost worth buying for that alone.

Oh wow thanks for the photo. They are the same color? Very surprising. I guess I will find out soon. Thanks for your help.
Welcome. Yes, same color. I wish I took a pic of those se594 from another shop. One was dark dark charcoal, another was just gray, and a third was inbetween with the cool steel blue shadow from playing position.

Last edited:
Its not easy to do these days but seeing it in person is the way to go. My eriza verde top is spectacular but I bought in person.
My 594 vintage sunburst was bought over the net and even though I bought the least expensive one it has a nice top.
Its like leather and pleather. If you want it to look exactly like every other one chose fake leather. Natual leather is going to differ as it was living at one point. Same with trees.

Gotta remember that different shops use different lighting.

Congratulations on your new sweet guitar.
Lighting is a thing...
20230901-161626.jpg

20230901-161626.jpg

Although...
When I was shopping my Zach Myers at Sweetwater, they had two different listings in Myers Blue. One group was a deep blue, the other group had more teal in it. I chose a deep blue one. When it's the same lighting and consistently different, I have to think something else is going on.

Screenshot-20231210-053925-Chrome.jpg

Yes, they can be that different. Every guitar has variations and takes the stain differently. Even though it's a laminate, it's real wood. Lately there has been more variance than usual on the se line. Lighting, effects, and devices can play major role, sometime dealers pics look better and others they don't. Even my own pics of a guitar can vary quite a bit.

You truly won't know until you see it in person and even then it can shift.

Congrats on the new guitar! There was a seDC594 the other day at a shop that had a really cool blue effect when looking down from the playing position that the seSC594 in the dame finish didn't have. It was almost worth buying for that alone.
^this^

I think a large part of what makes PRS special is that each one is different. This uniqueness is what drew me to them. I’ve always felt pity for those that aren’t able to celebrate the singular beauty in everything that is different in our world.

Lighting is a thing...
20230901-161626.jpg

20230901-161626.jpg

Although...
When I was shopping my Zach Myers at Sweetwater, they had two different listings in Myers Blue. One group was a deep blue, the other group had more teal in it. I chose a deep blue one. When it's the same lighting and consistently different, I have to think something else is going on.

Screenshot-20231210-053925-Chrome.jpg

I’m afraid so, godd@mn photon particles.

Don’t get me started on filters!

The white balance and color temperature settings on a camera will make for wild variations in photography. Even the calibration of your monitor. Then still, the tree itself and how it takes stain. Chaos!

Back