Custom colors and the meaning of their numbers?

5Springer

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I’ve seen a couple listings on Reverb specifying custom colors, some say one off? Nothing actually stating perceived color but just giving a number Instead.. Anyone know what the numbers represent and how to determine the actual color shades?

Charles

Not sure what a number would mean. I own several custom color / one off PRS guitars. I don't have any numbers associated with them beyond the serial numbers.

All the custom color or one off means is that the guitar has a finish color that wasn't offered as a regular color you could order the guitar with. They have used this to test new colors at times. Some of mine were a color you could order another model in but not the one I have. It just means you are not going to find another one of that model in that color.

Here is a example of what I’m referring too, I’ve seen a few listings with only a number listed for color.. this one is listed as mc5-101?

I would have to check some of mine but that could be the part of the MODCAT that states the color. I don't remember there being numbers in the MODCAT though.

Here is a example of what I’m referring too, I’ve seen a few listings with only a number listed for color.. this one is listed as mc5-101?

The "101" refers to the last 3 digits in the serial number. I know a few different retailers who use a variation of that in their descriptions as identifiers for the specific guitar. No idea what the "MC5" part means though...

The "101" refers to the last 3 digits in the serial number. I know a few different retailers who use a variation of that in their descriptions as identifiers for the specific guitar. No idea what the "MC5" part means though...
Good catch. You can see that in the picture of the back of the headstock.

That "MC5-101" has nothing to do with the color. Some sellers include codes related to their inventory in their titles. It's meaningless to us, but I guess it helps them search for specific items or keep track of their stuff. That "MC5-101" just happens to be next to the words "Custom Color" but is unrelated.

There was - and still might be - a thing called 'sprayer's choice' at PRS. It may or may not be a one-off, I've had a few that weren't listed on the PRS color chart over the years.

It's kind of cool; doesn't add value to the guitar, so don't pay more for it.

Back