Ground & Pound Soundman saga

Well I hosted my first Open Mic, and to my great relief it was a success. I regularly bring a few guitars , bass ,conga, and the acoustic amp , it always ends up being a good choice , as many will play if you hand them a pretty instrument..

I was lucky that members of Cafe'Au Lait a local reggae band that played on Saturday came . We'd talked at their gig , and got along great , they blessed us with 2 nice sets and I joined in on conga .

Indee Starr walked in the door (who is playing next week) I hadn't met her , but asked her if she was here to play ? "I don't have a guitar with me" Problem solved , handed my GS KOa mini-e ( the coffee house darling) and WOW a 3 song set that was AMAZING.

A visiting Nashville musician did a set, and we filled in the gaps with local singer songwiters who were all wonderful .

The new Bass Di/preamp box (DHS& Humbolt) was a life saver and man o man I'm sold on them . A lot easier on the back and tone for days.

The best news of the night ...4 people wanted to talk to me about building instruments for them!

Last edited:
Well I hosted my first Open Mike, and to my great relief it was a success. I regularly bring a few guitars , bass ,conga, and the acoustic amp , it always ends up being a good choice , as many will play if you hand them a pretty instrument..

I was lucky that members of Cafe'Au Lait a local reggae band that played on Saturday came . We'd talked at their gig , and got along great , they blessed us with 2 nice sets and I joined in on conga .

Indee Starr walked in the door (who is playing next week) I hadn't met her , but asked her if she was here to play ? "I don't have a guitar with me" Problem solved , handed my GS KOa mini-e ( the coffee house darling) and WOW a 3 song set that was AMAZING.

A visiting Nashville musician did a set, and we filled in the gaps with local singer songwiters who were all wonderful .

The new Bass Di/preamp box (DHS& Humbolt) was a life saver and man o man I'm sold on them . A lot easier on the back and tone for days.

The best news of the night ...4 people wanted to talk to me about building instruments for them!
Your rockin' it Greywolf! Congrats on your first hosting, sounds like it went perfect!!

Thanks ! The owner called me today and was very pleased , whew. I'm working with her on sponsoring a monthly Open Mike contest, with a final in the fall, monthly winners will get a Shure Mic , Winner of the final will get a solo gig booked.
That's cool!

Well I hosted my first Open Mike, and to my great relief it was a success. I regularly bring a few guitars , bass ,conga, and the acoustic amp , it always ends up being a good choice , as many will play if you hand them a pretty instrument..
I want to take this seriously, but... no kazoo? o_O

Very cool!

At the finale this week I ran into the current limitation of the house mixer , it has served well but has a 4 XLR input limit . As hum can be an issue , I decided to snag a "permanent loaner" as long as the current owner runs the Cafe' . Just my part of giving back to the local Music community, and helping it prosper. After a good deal of research I settled on the Yamaha EMX5 Lots more inputs and features , excellent reviews.

51U7JNNv2TL._AC_.jpg

At the finale this week I ran into the current limitation of the house mixer , it has served well but has a 4 XLR input limit . As hum can be an issue , I decided to snag a "permanent loaner" as long as the current owner runs the Cafe' . Just my part of giving back to the local Music community, and helping it prosper. After a good deal of research I settled on the Yamaha EMX5 Lots more inputs and features , excellent reviews.

51U7JNNv2TL._AC_.jpg

We have similar in our music shed, handles all the instruments well for rehearsal and my daughter also used it on solo gigs.

Great for small club/bar settings.

To my great SURPRISE! I just received a call from my dear friend and Mentor who has been the host of the Open Mic
After a long talk with the owner , they have offered ( and I of course accepted) the Host role permanently !!
Truely a dream come true after 6 decades as a musician .

Last edited:
What a fantastic experience, especially when reading how you felt less than a month ago at the start of the thread. Sounds like something you were meant to do!

That's exactly what Bill said , I've know him over 20 years.. " Man I think this is the perfect job for you, after all you've done for the music community" ... It's always been a passion ... so I'll be working on getting vids up on you tube , along with getting the summer competition up and rolling . I've even got approval to at some point , probably the finals bring my Tascam 2488neo 24 track porta studio to record for a Cafe CD , and possibly more shows as time goes on . This is a brave new world for me , quite an Adventure already!

As I've been supplying instruments onstage , ( the HBII has been there) I'll be rotating the PRS Semi Hollows through as well as my creations .. it's a great subtle spolight opportunity. I never mention them unless asked .

Last edited:
To my great SURPRISE! I just received a call from my dear friend and Mentor who has been the host of the Open Mike.
After a long talk with the owner , they have offered ( and I of course accepted) the Host role permanently !!
Truely a dream come true after 6 decades as a musician .
congratulations gee-dubs -- add in some lake woebegon style skits; instant hit.

Back