Disconnecting One Volume Pot on DGT SE....

SJC

Hi all. I wonder if I may seek your guidance please.

I have a Tobacco Sunburst SE DGT.
I absolutely adore this guitar and am using it around 70 percent of the time at all my gigs now. Sometimes for the whole night.

Having been a Strat player for over 40 years, I am struggling with having two volume controls in a live setting.
I totally "get" why the DGT has 2 Vols, and in the studio this works for me.

But on stage, I change pick-ups constantly, as well as hitting the tone control a lot, and having that extra volume knob to attend to is causing me a bit more work than I need.

So, is it an easy mod to unhook the front pup volume control and have both pups on the back pup volume control?
Will this affect the tone control at all?

I want to replace the volume pot with a CTS - unless you suggest something better? And will a 500K do the job as described above?

Grateful for your advice.

If you absolutely adore it I'd leave it alone.

That's a lot of rewiring you'll need to do.

Right now each pickup is soldered to it's own volume pot.

You'll have to connect them to the three way switch instead and then combine both sides of the switch and feed that output to your favorite volume pot.

You can connect a master tone control to the same terminal of that pot that you connect the output of the 3 way switch too.

Don't know how that will affect your single coil sounds. Hope the wires are long enough to reach.

I wouldn't mess with it myself.

I can’t even handle a four knober lol, so it’s one volume one tone for me.
Ha! A long while ago I had a McCarty. Loved it. Had to sell (won't bore you with the reasons) and when PRS announced the SE DGT this year, being a long time DG fan, and still missing my old McCarty, I ordered the DGT.

I can’t even handle a four knober lol, so it’s one volume one tone for me.
I hear you! I'm still adjusting to three knobs on the Bernie Marsden.

FOUR on the Stripped 58 - with the bridge volume control where the neck tone control would be if you're used to playing Gibsons.

Not a bad move but hard to get used to.

I don't need two volumes. The blend thing, with pickups combined but one pickup backed off compared to the other, is something I rarely do.

I don't even need two tones. I only use it on the bridge pickup. Pretty much never on the neck pickup.

The blend thing, with pickups combined but one pickup backed off compared to the other, is something I rarely do
I have been trying to do that, but keep tripping myself up and going for the "wrong" knob to make changes. I shall persevere :D

I have been trying to do that, but keep tripping myself up and going for the "wrong" knob to make changes. I shall persevere :D
It's a useful thing if you're pickups are out of phase. Like on the Peter Green Les Paul. But it's thin and not for me.

Reactions: SJC
Hi all. I wonder if I may seek your guidance please.

I have a Tobacco Sunburst SE DGT.
I absolutely adore this guitar and am using it around 70 percent of the time at all my gigs now. Sometimes for the whole night.

Having been a Strat player for over 40 years, I am struggling with having two volume controls in a live setting.
I totally "get" why the DGT has 2 Vols, and in the studio this works for me.

But on stage, I change pick-ups constantly, as well as hitting the tone control a lot, and having that extra volume knob to attend to is causing me a bit more work than I need.

So, is it an easy mod to unhook the front pup volume control and have both pups on the back pup volume control?
Will this affect the tone control at all?

I want to replace the volume pot with a CTS - unless you suggest something better? And will a 500K do the job as described above?

Grateful for your advice.
It can be done. I have a friend that just didn't like the two volume knobs on his core DGT. He had another friend remove one of the pots completely from the guitar. He went with one volume and a tone knob. I don't mind the volumes where they are on the DGT because the bridge volume is very close to where the volume knob is on my Suhr and somewhat close to a Strat. I like being able to blend the pickups in the middle position.

Back