David Grissom - Lessons with TrueFire - Open Road Guitar

We never get tired of hearing him play this one. They did it again last night. And the camera is placed, literally, right where I was sitting, we were 'this close'. Damn good and loud. Awesome performance.

I did. Have just scratched the surface.

Also grabbed the Johnny Winter thing when it was free, and grabbed the Bugs Henderson for under $11.

I did. Have just scratched the surface.

Also grabbed the Johnny Winter thing when it was free, and grabbed the Bugs Henderson for under $11.

Sounds like winning. After having registered I am receiving promo emails with some really good deals. I'm sure you can get the same prices on the site since it's just advertising sale items. Really happy I found this through Grissom's site.

Anyone else pick this up? Thoughts? Good lessons within!

I purchased the lessons and have made several passes. The jam tracks and charts alone are worth the cost of admission.. Even with a couple passes I am only scratching the surface of information here.

I know my 7 mode fingerings and am learning how he uses fingerings to get his Dorian or mixalydian flavors. Example of Dorian would be the use of the D major scale over a E minor 7 chord as E is the second note of the D major scale. I know the D major scale in 7 positions and can target the 1 and 5 notes all over the neck. Mixa is again the D major over an A7 chord as the A note is the 5th note of the D major scale. please someone correct me if I hacked this up. LOL

Also I am currently studying the triad chords he teaches for ascending and descending runs in key.

The main riff from way down deep is in one of the lessons as well! I am trying to learn rest of song by ear and yt vids. I am sure I will have to lean on my / our buddy and forum member dprather for a lesson as he is light years ahead of me in skill and knowledge.

The chords without 3rds has been shared for years and I have worked on learning these all over the neck. Fun stuff!

I highly recommend this lesson to any David Grissom fan. For the cost it's a no brainer.

His band is coming to town in a few weeks and I may try to ask a few questions about the lessons if I get a chance.

Cheers
-Steve in Houston

Last edited:
Solid review. I would have made a number of the same callous. Really is a good set of lessons.

Here you go Goldtop: A Go Pro on the headstock and you can plainly see and hear the DG30 Rig by the sidewall. And both his hands showing the technique he demonstrates in the Truefire Video Course, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvnAqFWhfos

Thanks for that link! Very cool!

Grissom clearly gets his awesome tone from the stock PRS strap buttons, he doesn't use those annoying strap locks. Hahaha! ;)

I should point out that I downloaded the lessons, too. One of the first things that struck me was how idiosyncratic his playing style really is. It actually gives me more confidence to do what feels natural. After all, no one's hands and fingers are completely alike.

Last edited:
Back