Cherry Sunburst vs. Tobacco Sunburst

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
These are my two CE-22's. One is a '95 and the other a '97.

Didn't like the original Dragon pickups in my '95 CU22, but in these guitars I see what all the fuss is about.

They sure work well in these bolt on, maple neck guitars.

The one in front is Tobacco Sunburst though it could pass for faded Cherry Sunburst.

The one in back I think of as being Cherry Sunburst but maybe PRS calls it something else.

Last edited:
I prefer the cherry one, but both look great! Maybe put some double creams in them…

Personally I wouldn’t call that a tobacco burst, though. Maybe a dark cherry.

I like both of those a lot. I would give the edge to the cherry burst. One of my favorite cherry bursts is the PRS Dark Cherry Sunburst. My CU22 is in that finish. It fixes the issues that some cherry bursts have of being too bright and getting the clown burst nickname. Yours is not too bright. It may be a bit faded. It looks good. I wouldn't be upset about owning either of those bursts though. They both look good.

One has locking tuners and one has standard Schaller tuners. Both stay in tune equally well when I use the vibrato.

The '97, the one without locking tuners, came to me with the neck pickup turned around.

I like it. Changes the sound of the neck pickup and also changes the sound of the three middle settings on the 5 position switch.

So each guitar has a slightly different sound.

I'll go for the cherry also. My Lester has nearly identical coloring and has trained my eye over nearly half a century.

Nice having the option of different sounds.

I'll go for the cherry also. My Lester has nearly identical coloring and has trained my eye over nearly half a century.

Nice having the option of different sounds.
Yeah, I think the cherry is prettier.

But the tobacco looks like cherry too, only more brown. Could pass for cherry.

The back and neck of both are that Gibson LP or SG red.

These are my two CE-22's. One is a '95 and the other a '97.

Didn't like the original Dragon pickups in my '95 CU22, but in these guitars I see what all the fuss is about.

They sure work well in these bolt on, maple neck guitars.

The one in front is Tobacco Sunburst though it could pass for faded Cherry Sunburst.

The one in back I think of as being Cherry Sunburst but maybe PRS calls it something else.

I gave up a looong time ago trying to figure it out and just refer to them all as Sunburst.

Back