PRS CE24 1991: 5-way rotary switch

wiston

Hi guys,

I have bought this beautiful sunburst PRS CE24 from 1991 two years ago and I really love it!

There is only one detail which bothers me and that is the (probably) non-original 3 way Gibson style switch.

I decided I'd like to have it in it's original configuration with the 5-way switch.

Do you know where could I get some of these switches from the 90's era? I did check reverb but the price was 165EUR lol? I can appreciate the historical value of vintage guitars and parts but this is too much even for me.

Thank you!

rzit1nxe0ia0sotrsj7a.jpg

vekx90h8cuezrp5xulka.jpg

John Mann sells the circuit style rotary and he might even sell the wafer style.

91 may have still been wafer style. I can't remember

The Gen 1 CE's had the 3 way inline switch, NOT the rotary. The conversion to the rotary was around "91", "92" so you may already have the original switch. Take a photo of the cavity and show it to us. The wiring for the 3 way was unusual. The middle setting was both pickup splits in series, and you can see that in the wiring. IT would also have the Vintage or Standard pups, not the HFS/Vintage. Let's figure out what your guitar had unless you just want to change it anyway.

When I got mine, it had a replaced switch and it was all messed up. I did the research and got it back to original with the crazy middle setting. It's a great set up, but it requires a very particular switch. I will take a photo to show you once we see what you have.

The Gen 1 CE's had the 3 way inline switch, NOT the rotary. The conversion to the rotary was around "91", "92" so you may already have the original switch. Take a photo of the cavity and show it to us. The wiring for the 3 way was unusual. The middle setting was both pickup splits in series, and you can see that in the wiring. IT would also have the Vintage or Standard pups, not the HFS/Vintage. Let's figure out what your guitar had unless you just want to change it anyway.

When I got mine, it had a replaced switch and it was all messed up. I did the research and got it back to original with the crazy middle setting. It's a great set up, but it requires a very particular switch. I will take a photo to show you once we see what you have.
Hi, thanks for the answer! Here is the cavity photo:

izoydcu39dfsglcitj7o.jpg

Mine is a 1989, and came with the 5 way rotary switch...

Mine is a 1989, and came with the 5 way rotary switch...
When I bought the guitar I also wrote an e-mail to the PRS customer service. I was told that a 3-position switch can be either original from the factory or later modification. Same as the pickups nickel covers. I was quite surprised that they don't have more detailed info about the guitar.

Definitely an after market 3-way. I don't think the pickups are original either given the wiring.
Here's the original switch on my 88 CE.
CBknD5a.jpg
Could you help me find the original 5-way switch somewhere on the internet?

These are my pickups - I assume they are original but someone has added the nickel plates.

2.jpg

3.jpg

I did a search for "PRS Rotary" on Reverb and several turn up. A few are less than $100 USD. Here's one as an example:

Back