Best Sounding Rig In The History of YOUR World?

Weighing in at 83 lbs each...

mcintosh1c.jpg

mcintosh2c.jpg

The tuned closed port idea....

Passive radiators are still being used on very nice and expensive studio monitors, by the way. These Focals are very highly thought of in engineering circles, and feature 11" passives:

http://vintageking.com/focal-sm9-left

If you really want the best sound, you might want to try moving your speakers a little further apart - forming an equilateral triangle between your listening position and the speakers - and toe them in a little to face you at an angle so that you see the front baffle as directly as possible. You probably also would want to not have the furniture obstruct the speakers.

Last edited:
Yeah, I understand the placement criteria.

Concessions must be made to non-audio optimized decoration directives.

Because: pick your battles.

Even in their current, non-optimal orientation, they still blow me away. See what I did there?

Yeah, I understand the placement criteria.

Concessions must be made to non-audio optimized decoration directives.

Because: pick your battles.

Even in their current, non-optimal orientation, they still blow me away. See what I did there?

Saw what you did.

Audio is my perpetual obsession, so there's that.

I might be reviving an old thread, but I'm pretty happy with my current rig since recently re-arranging some things that were kept in my old rehearsal space, so figured I'd share!

So my main amp (that has ended all my amp GAS) is my Friedman SmallBox, which I have running into a Bogner 2x12 semi-open back with v30s.

As far as my pedalboard, there are always different things floating around, but they key pedals would be: Strymon OB.1, T1M-modded Micro POG, Suhr KokoBoost Reloaded, Wampler Euphoria, then more Strymon stuff - Mobius and in the loop a Timeline->blueSky.

Other than occasionally switching out different OD pedals, I feel pretty set with this board and really am not GAS'ing for much of anything anymore. At this point, I'm not sure I could live without the OB.1, and I feel like it's a little under appreciated amongst the Strymon pedals. I usually hate compressors, but this one is so quiet, simple and effective (dynamics aren't squashed) and the clean boost is also among the quietest and purest I've ever heard.

I might be reviving an old thread, but I'm pretty happy with my current rig since recently re-arranging some things that were kept in my old rehearsal space, so figured I'd share!

So my main amp (that has ended all my amp GAS) is my Friedman SmallBox, which I have running into a Bogner 2x12 semi-open back with v30s.

As far as my pedalboard, there are always different things floating around, but they key pedals would be: Strymon OB.1, T1M-modded Micro POG, Suhr KokoBoost Reloaded, Wampler Euphoria, then more Strymon stuff - Mobius and in the loop a Timeline->blueSky.

Other than occasionally switching out different OD pedals, I feel pretty set with this board and really am not GAS'ing for much of anything anymore. At this point, I'm not sure I could live without the OB.1, and I feel like it's a little under appreciated amongst the Strymon pedals. I usually hate compressors, but this one is so quiet, simple and effective (dynamics aren't squashed) and the clean boost is also among the quietest and purest I've ever heard.

I'm glad you revived this thread! Sounds like you have a superb rig; you've certainly made some great choices.

So I just found this thread going through the amp forum and wanted to share my news with you as I am extremely happy with my newest purchase. A couple of weeks ago I was playing a laney ironheart 15w head. One channel with an extremely tight and good overdrive sound. Pretty good for any style of rock to metal. But since I just bought my first PRS lately, I am more and more interested in blues, blues rock and smoother tones. So I was looking for a new amp and tested almost everything in a huge music store in my region. My final dream amp is an engl powerball 2 through an orange ppc 212. Wow what an astonishing amp that is.

The clean channel in my honest opinion is equally as good as some of the superb fenders. Very warm, rich with lots of headroom but also so flexible with the bottom and bright switch. With the Maxon OD 808 as a boost and wow!!! Superb blues tones with the PRS. With all pick up settings just one of the best sound I have ever heard and played. You should try it!

The crunch is also extremely flexible. From a warm medium breakup for blues to Marshall style crunch (despite the 6L6's it sounds pretty Marshally) to a hot rodded 800. So cool! Also the Maxon adds a cool note to it for leads and heavy crunches.

I think I can cover both overdrive channels in one paragraph. They are killer! Just killer! Never heard a tighter, quicker responding, aggressive but noble overdrive sound structure. Easily the meanest sound I have ever heard. But different to a recto, 5150 or archon. Even at moderate volume it sounds so huge. Compared to the others it seems like you run two amps at the same time. That huge. Put the Maxon as boost in front of the amp and it is hard to believe what happens :D I really liked the archon but the engl is way more flexible and sounds almost twice as big.

I had the old V 1 powerball almost 10 years ago but the powerball 2 is a completely different animal. The old one was more compressed and "easier" to play. The new one is way more honest in all sounds and also more flexible.

Well as you might have noticed, I am pretty stoked and almost fanatic about this amp :) I would be interested if some of you played that beast and share their opinion.

Sorry for the long story but I had to share that with you :)

So I just found this thread going through the amp forum and wanted to share my news with you as I am extremely happy with my newest purchase. A couple of weeks ago I was playing a laney ironheart 15w head. One channel with an extremely tight and good overdrive sound. Pretty good for any style of rock to metal. But since I just bought my first PRS lately, I am more and more interested in blues, blues rock and smoother tones. So I was looking for a new amp and tested almost everything in a huge music store in my region. My final dream amp is an engl powerball 2 through an orange ppc 212. Wow what an astonishing amp that is.

The clean channel in my honest opinion is equally as good as some of the superb fenders. Very warm, rich with lots of headroom but also so flexible with the bottom and bright switch. With the Maxon OD 808 as a boost and wow!!! Superb blues tones with the PRS. With all pick up settings just one of the best sound I have ever heard and played. You should try it!

The crunch is also extremely flexible. From a warm medium breakup for blues to Marshall style crunch (despite the 6L6's it sounds pretty Marshally) to a hot rodded 800. So cool! Also the Maxon adds a cool note to it for leads and heavy crunches.

I think I can cover both overdrive channels in one paragraph. They are killer! Just killer! Never heard a tighter, quicker responding, aggressive but noble overdrive sound structure. Easily the meanest sound I have ever heard. But different to a recto, 5150 or archon. Even at moderate volume it sounds so huge. Compared to the others it seems like you run two amps at the same time. That huge. Put the Maxon as boost in front of the amp and it is hard to believe what happens :D I really liked the archon but the engl is way more flexible and sounds almost twice as big.

I had the old V 1 powerball almost 10 years ago but the powerball 2 is a completely different animal. The old one was more compressed and "easier" to play. The new one is way more honest in all sounds and also more flexible.

Well as you might have noticed, I am pretty stoked and almost fanatic about this amp :) I would be interested if some of you played that beast and share their opinion.

Sorry for the long story but I had to share that with you :)

Nice sounding amp! Enjoy it with your PRS!

Back