autotune

Loved it!

I was a smelly, ignorant serf only a few centuries ago. Before that I was a musician. Buying too many nice lutes put me into serfdom.
Why prithee Squire Scheftone! What a lovely selection of Lutes you have! The best in all of the shire!;)

...you can't digitize Jazz or Blues because it's in between the the notes and beats, that's what makes it special.
So you don't listen to CDs?

Also, find any video with Futureman drumming (Roy Wooten of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) and tell me again, that synthetic drumming isn't as good as analog drums. You're just plain wrong about this.

So you don't listen to CDs?

Also, find any video with Futureman drumming (Roy Wooten of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) and tell me again, that synthetic drumming isn't as good as analog drums. You're just plain wrong about this.

CDs are digitized recordings, *NOT* performances of instruments, don't try to twist words here.

As for Victor Wooten's brother ....... ....... not impressed, and definitely *NOT* as good as real drums.
Come on Dusty, that didn't sway me one bit.

I’m not the one speaking in sweeping over-generalities, don’t talk to me about misappropriating words.

I think there's generally a lot of mix-up between perceptions of genre conventions/aesthetics, technology, and use of that technology.

Some genres have aesthetics that are partly related to a very "mathematical" beat, others to a more loose, swinging, whatever-you-wanna-call-it beat. Both types can absolutely be achieved using technology in-the-box. The use of that technology is just much more often used in the former than the latter.

don’t talk to me about misappropriating words.

I will if it's directed at me.

But the bottom line is this: Although there are not many of me, I am not the only person that feels this way. Like I have to accept that most of the world enjoys it, I do not care for automation in music. I never have, and probably never will, this is something you people have to accept.

This cat & his drumatar isn't programmed and I understand this, it just didn't move me like a real drummer, don't be offended.

don't be offended.
I’m not offended that you don’t like something, you’re entitled to your opinion. I’m offended by you taking that dislike and extrapolating it to artists to whom it does not apply.

But like you know whatever.

???
U totally lost me there, care to explain?
Perhaps best if we drop this part of the conversation. We all know you don’t like it and prefer not to listen to artists who use it. Many others enjoy the product of those artists and are happy to grant them artist status.

Why not just leave it there.

Perhaps best if we drop this part of the conversation. We all know you don’t like it and prefer not to listen to artists who use it. Many others enjoy the product of those artists and are happy to grant them artist status.

Why not just leave it there.

Well VB, you're a longstanding venerated member here, so I don't take your statement lightly, just don't tell me I can be persecuted for my viewpoints here by a handful of members that support automation in music and I have to "leave it" rather than put them in check about it. These dialogues end when they have nothing to come back with, it happened before and it happened again. Last time it was about drum machines and the next day I posted a poll and the results supported my view, it ended that conversation and anyway this is a forum and all views should be welcome.

The fact of the matter is this, for my entire posting career here at PRSforum I have never lit into anyone here about their viewpoints, if they don't like Jazz, or AL Di Meola, I don't care, it's their view and I never tear into them ...... never.

Go ahead, check my history.

This is just silly. Everyone is going to have an opinion on this sort of thing, neither way being right or wrong. While I personally believe Huggy is a bit narrow-minded, he's entitled to that opinion. He's obviously not going to change that opinion anytime soon. But at the same time, everyone else who likes/doesn't mind the more modern technology is just as entitled to their opinions too.

Can't we all just get along? :rolleyes:

Back