Are you a gigging musician? What Guitar do you trust?

OK.
Interesting question.
I have this old beat up guitar.
I got it used in the very early 80's
I paid $150.00 for it.
Nothing worked. Dirt, grime, corrosion.
Chips, dings, scratches, gouges, and no sound.
It looked like it was used as a canoe paddle.
It was a torn up body with a good neck attached.
It was from early in the dreaded Norlin years of Gibson.
I put $240.00 worth of "fix up" into it.
It still looks like doggiepoop.
It has stickers on it for God's sake!

but..(There's that word again.)

It feels very good indeed.
It sounds very good indeed.
It does not, I say again, DOES NOT, go out of tune,
and over the years I have played more gigs with it than with all my other guitars combined.

Last edited:
Well, I was. I join bands off and on when my schedule and interest intersect. I had just joined one January 2020 and did a gig 3 weeks later. We did another at the end of Feb and had a decent schedule for the rest of the year, but then everything got shut down. I quit around May/June when a couple of the guys started pushing the need to rehearse. I thought that was pretty silly at that juncture and had lost interest anyway.

As for guitars, I’m a creature of habit and have played Les Pauls for nearly 30 years. I now have a few PRS guitars and had intended to start rotating them in last year, especially the SC-250, but we didn’t get there. If I can only grab one, I’m grabbing my cherry red R8 ...

H0PRNBw.jpg

I'm primarily a bass player and have been gigging since the late 1970s. On gigs, I play American Fender, Alembic and Spector. I've played Fender and Martin guitars on gigs as well. I recently acquired my first PRS, a CE24 and love it. I do a lot of music for television shows on The History Channel, Animal Planet, Oxygen, CNBC and Showtime. I have been using the PRS on a lot of tracks. It sounds and plays great and unlike my Gibson Les Paul, the PRS stays in tune.

Geddy Lee bass with the band.
1984 Gibson LP (which is still the gnarliest best sounding guitar ive ever played which actually turned out to be fake but I don’t care) with the other band.
Clapton strat for the backing track gigs.
Cort M900 hybrid for the gigs i needed to have acoustic sounds as well as electric.
I only have the (fake) Gibson now.
Smashed the Cort to pieces. Sold the rest.
Arthritis stopped play.

i play music fulltime, for all gigs other than jazz i take my SSH. Just recently started playing in a country band, ive left my tele at home! lol. this thing with the middle pickup and the coil tap i have a alot of great tones for country.

US Lakland 4451m and US Lakland 5560 as most of my gigging is (was) on bass. Sound library stuff guitars wise: Collings I35 Radack Strat and my new to me CU22 Trem.

Out of all my guitars, my “go to” is a CE24 w/ a MannMade 2040 bridge. Has been for years.

Last edited:
Back