Amps are addictive... I am an addict, and I need help...

Yes sir, I’ve been gigging Axe Fx units of one sort or another since 2011. The simplicity of getting everything from one box is hard to beat, and the quality just keeps improving, as do the models and FX. I love a roaring tube amp, but it would be hard for me to transition back for gigging, especially given the non-arena type situations I play in.

I still enjoy the amps for things where the volume is less a factor. With the Ox Box, though, there are possibilities. Of course, as soon as I started using it, live gig work slowed to a trickle! Oh well, the world will turn again before too long.

I use tube amps and the Axe FX at home, but probably wouldn’t bring an amp to a gig any more. I use a KHE amp switcher to select between tube amps preset by preset with the Axe controller. Works great!

I also use a Torpedo Live and Atomic CLR FRFRs, so the amps rarely see a real cab and volume is never an issue.

I use tube amps and the Axe FX at home, but probably wouldn’t bring an amp to a gig any more. I use a KHE amp switcher to select between tube amps preset by preset with the Axe controller. Works great!

I also use a Torpedo Live and Atomic CLR FRFRs, so the amps rarely see a real cab and volume is never an issue.

I love looking at your rig! It's truly comprehensive and sophisticated.

Love the setup, and it inspires me to consider integrating the amps and Axe Fx again. I’m pretty sure I’d still use the Axe Fx for effects and routing, even if I used a tube amp for the main sound, so it’ll always be somewhere. I’m using an RJM Mastermind GT/22 for switching the Axe Fx, and could incorporate amp switching with that. Ideas, ideas...

I have a small amp addiction!

eY8ObSs.jpg

Izb3O4K.jpg

zalAbS7.jpg

BIt0vML.jpg

k6rA3P5.jpg

cy3sO0z.jpg

Ag9q6EQ.jpg

Zxd4rHy.jpg

XZXiAM2.jpg

If I had space, I’d just go to Matt’s and bring home all the amps in their back wall.

Changed it to my version. Ok, seriously, I could take like 3-4 amps out of that stash, and be totally content FOREVER! Amp-wise, at least.

I have a small amp addiction!

I know it sounds crazy to look at that picture and say "you need," but trust me, you NEED a Louis Electric Cobra. If you haven't seen Tag's monster thread at TGP you should. This goes for all you guys with the cash to buy one. Simply incredible. Not even "my style" amp but probably the greatest tones I've ever heard in that thread. That amp is incredible. A very faithful recreation of what must be one of the best Dumbles ever, because I've heard many Dumbles and liked or loved most of them, but none as much as this.

I know it sounds crazy to look at that picture and say "you need," but trust me, you NEED a Louis Electric Cobra. If you haven't seen Tag's monster thread at TGP you should. This goes for all you guys with the cash to buy one. Simply incredible. Not even "my style" amp but probably the greatest tones I've ever heard in that thread. That amp is incredible. A very faithful recreation of what must be one of the best Dumbles ever, because I've heard many Dumbles and liked or loved most of them, but none as much as this.

Louis makes some killer sounding amps. I particularly like his emulation of a Black Panel Deluxe.

Louis makes some killer sounding amps. I particularly like his emulation of a Black Panel Deluxe.
Yes, word on the street is that maybe MOST of his amps are ‘best of breed” type amps. He’s a known obsessive tone freak. He and Tag worked for months and they literally hand tune every single Cobra. When Lou thinks they’re done, he takes them to Tags house to listen to against his and the reference amp, and then Tag critiques them and many go back for minor changes to make sure they are all perfect sonic matches.

I’ve never heard of any other current amp maker going to those extremes to makes sure every one is perfect.

Yes, word on the street is that maybe MOST of his amps are ‘best of breed” type amps. He’s a known obsessive tone freak. He and Tag worked for months and they literally hand tune every single Cobra. When Lou thinks they’re done, he takes them to Tags house to listen to against his and the reference amp, and then Tag critiques them and many go back for minor changes to make sure they are all perfect sonic matches.

I’ve never heard of any other current amp maker going to those extremes to makes sure every one is perfect.

I had no idea that Tag was involved with this model. How interesting!

It was Tag who got me into Two-Rocks, and the various models they produced were my go-to amps for at least a dozen years, before I became obsessed with the PRS amps (I'll admit that I still like TRs, but I prefer the PRS amps).

Tag has good amp ears.

Last edited:
Back