Am I Being Unreasonable with PRS???

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the guitar sat around for a year there is no end to what may have transpired during that time. Between the environment, string changes, people, and woods natural tendency to expand and contract, I can understand how it may have needing something. I believe PRS does have high quality control but it's possible something slipped through the cracks. Anyway, I feel the dealer should have gone over the guitar once it was sold and done any adjustments necessary to assure the guitar was playing in top form before it even left the store. I believe this should be done whether it's a $300 or $3000 guitar.

Last edited:
Maybe it is just me, but I'm having a hard time with this part:

The strings were resting on the frets and it was impossible to fret a single note cleanly. I checked the neck, it had slight relief in it, exactly like it should. When I asked about it, they said that was the way it came in. I agreed to buy the guitar because of the deal I got (it had been there a year) and took it home in hopes that it would play like how I thought it would. Basically, I bought it on blind faith.

And like I said, I've bought several PRS guitars and the thought of buying one that's not set up properly (and by that, I do not mean to my liking) and needs to be intonated, it just blows me away.

My response was not intended to be harsh, it's just that this seems a bit like a fish story...

Did the dealer actually claim the guitar arrived at their store with the strings resting on the frets???

I'll also tell you I wouldn't want to be the dealer that you just called out on this...

I agree with Hans, I would look at the dealers prior actions first of all. My wife bought me a SE from guitar center that was absolutely horrible. The fret ends were pulled away from the fingerboard, the fingerboard was so dry it seemed as it was coarse to the touch, and the inlays were rough as well. I returned it after having to have my lawyer contact them because they didn't want to give me a complete refund. (Lol! The advantages of having a lawyer in the family.) Anyways I bought the same guitar from Sweetwater, And it is more than I expected. My guess bud is the dealer gave you a discount because they knew they messed with it beyond factory spec.

I'll also tell you I wouldn't want to be the dealer that you just called out on this...

I should've taken that out, they are good people with a great store. I got an amazing deal from them. I wish I wouldn't have emailed PRS and I especially wish I wouldn't have started this thread. I wasn't trying to upset anybody, or get my ass handed too me. I guess it just made sense to me that the guitar had came in messed up and that's why it hung on the wall for a year. This store sells TONS of PRS guitars so why couldn't they sell this one? Being a PRS lover and someone who has and does own several I was blown away by how crappy it was. And I bought it! What does that tell you? I'm an idiot? Sure I'm idiot. I bought a PRS that played like crap because of my previous experiences with the brand and my belief in their quality. My bad.

I should've taken that out, they are good people with a great store. I got an amazing deal from them. I wish I wouldn't have emailed PRS and I especially wish I wouldn't have started this thread. I wasn't trying to upset anybody, or get my ass handed too me. I guess it just made sense to me that the guitar had came in messed up and that's why it hung on the wall for a year. This store sells TONS of PRS guitars so why couldn't they sell this one? Being a PRS lover and someone who has and does own several I was blown away by how crappy it was. And I bought it! What does that tell you? I'm an idiot? Sure I'm idiot. I bought a PRS that played like crap because of my previous experiences with the brand and my belief in their quality. My bad.
What are you playing at?

Something just seems odd about this whole discussion. It doesn't add up.

Last edited:
What am I playing at?

Don't know what that means dude? Either way, I'm done talking about it.

Listen...Hans is one of the moderators....he also has owned a disgusting amount of PRS (but completely reasonable in my book)...as have many here....if issues arise with PRS guitars which they in fact do from time to time...(he would be the first to tell you that they do)...most here would agree that PRS has an impeccable track record as a company for making it right.

They cannot be held responsible for what happens once the guitar leaves their factory...I'm sure constructive negative feedback concerning one of their dealers might lead to changes at that dealer.

In addition this is a pretty close community...very open too I might add...but leading with insults and accusations regarding an issue that to many seems fairly straight forward is not a good starting point.

Asking for help is one thing....dragging a company's name through the mud for no darn good reason is quite another.

Last edited:
What am I playing at?

Don't know what that means dude? Either way, I'm done talking about it.

What it means, dude, is that you came on here guns blazing over something incredibly basic. You used words like "flabbergasted" to describe your dismay over an issue you should have resolved before dropping your hard-earned cash and walking out the door. Then you came here looking for sympathy when the polite and appropriate response you got from PRS customer service didn't yield the desired result.

You escalated things. Instead of taking the responses (which you asked for) like a man, you pass it off like your real mistake was placing your faith in the reputation PRS Guitars - something about 230 people bust their can to build every single day.

That, dude, is some serious BS.

Look, we could speculate for the next 20 years about why that guitar had issues (that magically went away with a simple set-up?) but that is 100% beside the point. YOU walked out of a store with a new guitar that failed to function as you thought it should. You have said that you bought it at a discount because of those issues so you KNEW that it needed a proper set-up. Yet... you come here "Flabbergasted" and "Truly shocked" that it needed a proper set-up? How does that make a lick of sense?

As I asked you earlier... what are you playing at?

I'm done talking about it.

I accept. Thread locked. Horse Dead.

EDIT: I see that you have deleted your original post and are looking to delete your profile. My suggestion is get back on the horse (a new one, of course) and start anew tomorrow. As was already suggested, post an NGD for your new guitar. I think you'll find people to be pretty forgiving. We've ALL (looks at self) had a turn in your seat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back