Am I Being Unreasonable with PRS???

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 to the previous comments. The dealer should have adjusted the setup before you walked out the door. I had a dealer adjust a setup for me with no commitment to buying a guitar - I said the action felt high, can you check it while I grab something to eat, and when I got back, it was perfect.

And to give you an idea how a neck can shift, I once bought a guitar that was set up perfectly in the shop. Three hour drive home, put it in the basement. The next day, it was maybe a bit buzzy, but nothing that gave me any cause for concern. The day after that, virtually unplayable.

It's wood. Shift happens.

+1 to what every one said. I also find it very puzzling that if over the years you have owned 15 new $3000 PRS guitars plus countless others used then how come you do a setup that doesn't include checking the intonation? That is just part of a normal setup. Why do you have to spend an evening intonating it? That is a 15 minute activity, just grab a screwdriver, move the saddles and tune. I am sure you lost more time writing that email and doing this post.
The guitar sat for over a year, obviously the dealer touched it at some point, you did a setup and then expect it to be still intonated to factory specs? How are you sure it wasn't you doing the setup that affected the intonation?

Also remember that you bought the guitar from the dealer not PRS. They should be the ones to handle this complaint and determine if it was their error or escalate to PRS. What did the dealer say to you when you showed them how badly it was setup? I am sure that if the dealer had received a flawed guitar they would have returned it back to PRS on a heartbeat.

Sorry if we sound harsh but you are being very unreasonable asking for an apology when there is none needed and making a big deal of something so trivial. I would agree with you if there was a defect on the guitar and nothing was done to fix it.

IN A WORD YOU ARE BEING AN IDIOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wake up !! YOU BOUGHT A GUITAR, THAT WAS KICKING AROUND THE MANS STORE FOR A YEAR, WITH SET UP PROBLEMS! NOW YOU WANT THE FACTORY TO EAT IT!! BAD ANSWER!!!! DID YOU LEARN ANYTHING?

IN A WORD YOU ARE BEING AN IDIOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wake up !! YOU BOUGHT A GUITAR, THAT WAS KICKING AROUND THE MANS STORE FOR A YEAR, WITH SET UP PROBLEMS! NOW YOU WANT THE FACTORY TO EAT IT!! BAD ANSWER!!!! DID YOU LEARN ANYTHING?

Calling anyone "An Idiot" is unacceptable. Please refrain for doing so in the future. Thank you.

Jamie

It's a dealer issue, IMHO you should reach out to them. Remember, you didn't buy the guitar from PRS - you bought it from a guitar store. Same thing as buying a sports car, you don't yell at BMW if there's wear on the tires when you buy a car - you have the dealer fix it before you drive it off the lot.

I have to echo what everybody else has said in one way or another. This isn't the fault (or the problem) of PRS. This is something you should have noticed when you tried the guitar in the first place.

Also, what's the big deal about 'having' to set the intonation yourself? If you don't know how, then it doesn't make sense to me that you've bought as many guitars as you say you have. And if you do know how, then what's the trouble? Practically every player I've ever heard of - myself included - enjoys working on their gear themselves. I'm not saying this applies to you, but I've literally seen posts on boards from people asking how to change strings on the new PRS (or whatever) guitar they just bought. They can supposedly afford a new instrument of that caliber, yet they're clueless as to how to do the most basic and simple upkeep on them? Something is wrong with that picture to me. Maybe it's a sign of the times today...

That's another tangent for another forum, but as far as your question goes: Try to lighten up. Do the work yourself, or have it done if that's the way you need to go, and get on with your life. If you're simply unable or unwilling to do that, then take it up with the dealer. You're allowing something trivial to affect the enjoyment of having a new guitar. Either way, it is not the problem of PRS.

Goldtop

... in addition to the remarks already made, the guitar might have already been sold once (or twice) by the dealer and it was returned after the buyer screwed up the neck ...

That was my first thought. The guitar's been there for a year, the action was unplayble (strings laying on the frets) and the intonation was off? Somebody who didn't know what they were doing screwed with that guitar. Better check the condition and height of the knife-edge screws in the trem.

Slang,

It sounds like you got a great price for a guitar that needed a setup.
I would agree, that it was must likely tinkered with by someone at the dealer.
Why look a gift horse in the mouth ? :)

Seems to me the PRS customer service response was honest, reasonable and sincere. I am not sure I would say you were being unreasonable in emailing PRS but I think the issue goes more to the dealer than the guitar itself. I don't recall you asking PRS for anything, so who knows, perhaps they appreciate feedback about their dealer network? None of us know, maybe yours was not the not only email about the dealer? Who knows, not me. I agree that the guitar is what is was, and you recognized the issues at the dealer--and apparently know how to intonate and fix them yourself. That puts you beyond many retail customers, as does your extensive experience with electric guitars and PRS in particular. So its probably not reasonable to expect a guitar that has been sitting in a shop for a year or more to retain its factory set up. IMO.

I'm just confused as to how you could do the initial setup then complain that the guitar wasn't intonated afterwards? It's one thing if you tried and couldn't get the guitar to intonate but it sounds like you didn't even check it in the first place which is befuddling to me. That's on the basic setup checklist for me and I'm sure every other tech, player and roadie out there.

In a word, yes. I'm having a hard time understanding why you bought the guitar in the first place.

Caveat emptor

"Setup" ALWAYS includes intonation. A guitar is not 'set up' until it is completely playable.

Like Jamie, I have made many trips to the factory, guitars simply don't leave the factory in the condition you describe. So did the dealer really say a new guitar arrived in that condition or is this embellishment? I'm believing this part of the story about as much as I believe the story of another forum member that the NEW PRS guitars in his local store were rusted and had fret burs... Didn't happen

You made a poor buying decision. Have the guitar set up properly and move on...

Last edited:
PRS is awesome!

Thanks for your input!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to excuse someone calling you an idiot (he was warned not to do that, btw...), but you did ask, in your first post, and I quote:

What do you guys think? Am I being an idiot?

And to quote Wiilie Wonka...

27362134.jpg

:D

Jamie

LOL.. I guess I did...I forgot..I felt a little blinded after reading all the responses...

Yes Slang, you are being unreasonable. What you should do, since you got guitar supposedly at a deep discount, sent it to the PRS PTC for a complete setup. I believe the DC3 has a bolt on neck. As such if something majorly needs to be done they can rework it. Guitar should be under warranty. That warranty should be honored if there is a major problem.

Thats really good advice..I did think about it..BUT it plays amazing now that I've put some time into..Great guitar. I never thought a maple neck PRS would be so amazing

Last edited by a moderator:
Look I will admit something to make you feel just a bit better...when I bought my first PRS with phase II tuners I tried to wrap them like vintage tuners...all my guitars had winged tuners....how was I supposed to know???...anyway I called the PTC and said i had some tuning instability issue...I even sent back the guitar to Shawn...he called me and politely pointed out my idiocy which I submit humbly now on this forum to be humiliated by all...the difference is I called PRS and asked them for help...expecting I might have to pay to have it fixed the way I wanted it...so I approached it a bit differently.

Live and learn...oh yeah...I also learned in college that if you can somehow take the humiliation squarely on the chin and live to do something even more stupid it made you stronger....warped but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back