Am I Being Unreasonable with PRS???

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slang05

Prs is awesome

Thank you for your time

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel you are being unreasonable, intonation needs to be checked just like the air in your tires.

I think they was pretty fair into the response to you. A lot of things happen in shops.. You got to remember you have a large amount of folks who wanna joy ride these guitars in a shop. Younger kids who detune these things and think lower action is faster... The older tire kickers of instruments.. And the person doing the set up at the shop selling it.

Any guitar that's been in the shop for a year needs to be checked by the dealer, that's the person responsible for the instrument's upkeep prior to sale.

Sounds like someone at the shop messed with it to me. Your issue should be with them and not PRS?

PRS is not being unreasonable. They have nothing to apologize for. Humidity varies widely across the country, how shops store their guitars vary widely. I've been to GCs where 3/4 of the guitars are unplayable. Do you think they all came that way from the various factories?

Having been to the PRS factory more times than I can count, I've seen their meticulous set-ups. While very guitar may not be set up to every single person's personal specs, they are set up to PRS' standards. They are intonated when they leave the factory.

Shipping a guitar across the country will change things, as will having a guitars sit in a shop and be played and handled by who know whom. I would have insisted the shop change the strings and properly set up and intonate the guitar BEFORE taking it home. Any decent shop would do this...

Jamie

I agree, you're being a little unreasonable. The guitar has been out of PRS' hands for a year.

Plus this..."I just thought you should know that now a true PRS believer has a bit of skepticism about the quality of your guitars and I can't imagine it not affecting a future buying decision, especially when PRS guitars are so expensive" is kind of a hard-ass way to deal with a company you're asking for help from, for something that is clearly not a manufacturing defect.

This is a trivial issue, really. I don't know if you're trying to make PRS look bad, but it just seems the whole approach is wrongheaded.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think you are off a bit. Your original email is fine. Their response is also fine. A guitar that has been on display for a year is bound to get toyed with a bit. Intonation is not a big deal to set. I would not be upset if I were you.

There are so many flaws in your argument, I am surprised you got a response at all. First, you bought a guitar that didn't play well and needed a set up and expected it to fix itself on the drive to your place... Second, you bought a guitar that didnt play well and needed a set up and expected it to fix itself on the drive to your place... PRS make some magical instruments but Hogwarts they are not... It is 100% your dealer's responsibility to ensure proper set up of the guitar before it leaves the store. And yes, a lot can happen in 365 days at a retail location.

Last edited:
I just discovered it needs to be intonated! It is way off. I am flabbergasted! I am truly shocked that a guitar that lists for $3000 needs to be intonated. A PRS guitar at that! I can understand how a guitar might need to be set up, but intonated too? I guess they go hand and hand?

Shouldn't I get some sort of apology?
Okay, I have to admit that this is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. SOOOOO dramatic for something so simple.

- If you change string size on your guitars after it was set up, intonation will need to be adjusted.
- If you use the same size high E and heavier low end, the intonation will need to be checked.
- If the guy that did the intonation frets the string like he's gripping a baseball bat and you have a lighter touch, the intonat... aw hell, you get the point.

You asked for an honest opinion from the court of public opinion. You got it.

If you adjust the intonation yourself, it will be set for the strings you prefer and for your grip. It's a 5 minute task and quite simple.

Last edited:
Yes, you are being unreasonable. As Hans stated, it is quite common for a guitar's intonation to need to be adjusted, for one of many reasons.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24920 said:
Okay, I have to admit that this is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. SOOOOO dramatic for something so simple.

- If you change string size on your guitars after it was set up, intonation will need to be adjusted.
- If you use the same size high E and heavier low end, the intonation will need to be checked.
- If the guy that did the intonation frets the string like he's gripping a baseball bat and you have a lighter touch, the intonat... aw hell, you get the point.

You asked for an honest opinion from the court of public opinion. You got it.

If you adjust the intonation yourself, it will be set for the strings you prefer and for your grip. It's a 5 minute task and quite simple.

+1

Heck. I have to set the intonation and adjust the truss rod / bridge height on ALL my guitars twice a year (At the very least)to keep them in optimal playing condition. This isn't a fault of the guitars, it's just the way it is. They need maintenance to keep them playing sweet. Doesn't matter how much they cost or who made them.

The guitar has been sat in a shop for a year. It's probably gone through a lot of changes in humidity. perhaps played by God knows how many folks. Why the heck didn't the shop set it up. They should have done. Now, if it was box fresh, straight from the PRS factory and it looked as if it had never been set up then you'd have had a point perhaps. But come on... A year in a shop?!

You shouldn't be remotely shocked that a '$3000 PRS guitar' needs intonating after a year. I'd be shocked if it didn't. Guitars need maintenance.

This should have been taken up with the dealer. They should have made sure you were happy before walking out the door. Yes, you're being unreasonable.

This should have been taken up with the dealer. They should have made sure you were happy before walking out the door.
Yes they should have, but the purchaser has the power. If you knew it wasn't right leaving the store, you should have kept your money. If I played something in the store that wasn't right I would give the store the chance to prove it could be a good guitar by setting it up to my liking. If they couldn't I would move on.

If for some reason the guitar was irresistible in spite of its playability and I was uncomfortable doing the setup myself, I might send the guitar to PTC to setup for me. They will put it back to spec and send you back a guitar that plays like a PRS should.

Yes, you are being unreasonable. You should not have bought the guitar if it was in that kind of shape. Also, any reputable dealer should not have sold you a guitar if it was in that condition. Take the guitar back to the dealer and tell them to make it right.

BOOM !

Yes they should have, but the purchaser has the power. If you knew it wasn't right leaving the store, you should have kept your money. If I played something in the store that wasn't right I would give the store the chance to prove it could be a good guitar by setting it up to my liking. If they couldn't I would move on.

If for some reason the guitar was irresistible in spite of its playability and I was uncomfortable doing the setup myself, I might send the guitar to PTC to setup for me. They will put it back to spec and send you back a guitar that plays like a PRS should.

... in addition to the remarks already made, the guitar might have already been sold once (or twice) by the dealer and it was returned after the buyer screwed up the neck ...

Just adding my thought for the record--you are absolutely being unreasonable. I thought their response was surprisingly polite considering the tone of your email, as well. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back