25th Anniversary Amps

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
1st time I ever heard the 25th Anniversary amp was at XPRS. Howie was playing one with a Modern Eagle Quatro and it blew me away. I walked over to Jack Gretz and pulled the trigger immediately on one with the paisley and wood.

The more I play this amp, the more fortunate I feel to have one. Just curious how many of this model are represented here and whether or not you guys are experiencing the same love affair. Here is #77 of the 1st 100.

BTW, this amp KILLS with my "87 Standard.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

For those who have never heard this amp, here's a great video with Nicky on guitar.

http://youtu.be/ESicW-ba9h8

One more with some history and Junior Clark on guitar.

http://youtu.be/7jMZrj0Z4mg

Last edited:
Those sound amazing. I looked at your photos for a minute before i realized why it looked odd.......hand signed instead of plastic face plates.....killer touch :cool:

That color on the wood plates match the paisley so well.......those are future classics.

How does the HX/DA compare? I was under the impression that the HXA represented the evolution of this platform, and I absolutely love mine. I have it set up with two PRS 2X12 cabs, and I can play it with the Master Volume at "2" and it gets great tone and all the characteristic punch you usually get at much higher volumes.

Also, Doug Sewall did a "kitchen Sink" mod, in which it can go from a plexi platform to a much higher gain platform at the flick of a switch.

docbennett said:
How does the HX/DA compare? I was under the impression that the HXA represented the evolution of this platform, and I absolutely love mine. I have it set up with two PRS 2X12 cabs, and I can play it with the Master Volume at "2" and it gets great tone and all the characteristic punch you usually get at much higher volumes.

Also, Doug Sewall did a "kitchen Sink" mod, in which it can go from a plexi platform to a much higher gain platform at the flick of a switch.

I also would like to know to the difference between all the 25th Anniversary different amps as well, the HXDA, Rev. B EJ Mod and the kitchen sink mods. The old BAM thread is gone it appears.

I also would like to know to the difference between all the 25th Anniversary different amps as well, the HXDA, Rev. B EJ Mod and the kitchen sink mods. The old BAM thread is gone it appears.

Here is what I got from PRS customer service rep. Matt King, regarding the HXDA's 3 mini-toggles and the "kitchen sink" mods. Hope it helps. Posted elsewhere, but would be appropriate here as well, IMO:

"The switches on the back of the HXDA amp take the amp from a “bass” (DA) amp to a “lead” (HX) amp in incremental stages.

The first one changes a bypass cap value from brighter to fatter.
The second one adds a bypass cap to the cathode follower circuit—with the cap is “lead” gain-wise without is “bass”.
The third switch adjusts negative feedback. More negative feedback lowers gain and keeps the amp under control. Less adds harmonics and gain.

Kitchen Sink Mod:
The series/parallel switch on back takes the two channels normally running parallel with each other (additive gain) and places them in series (multiplicative gain). It would be (circuit wise) similar to going from a plexi topology to a JCM 800 topology.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;10837 said:
1st time I ever heard the 25th Anniversary amp was at XPRS. Howie was playing one with a Modern Eagle Quatro and it blew me away.

Just curious how many of this model are represented here and whether or not you guys are experiencing the same love affair.

Hans,

I agree There are some great demos of Howie on youtube from the 2010 experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5FWpjFfTh4&feature=plcp

It also blew me away and I also had to pull the trigger a year later just after the 2011 Experience.

I have 67/100 with Rev B EJ Mod w/ 2x12 cab. It breaks up in all the right the right spots and cleans up with a turn of the volume knob.

Very cool, Hans!

I don't have a 25th, but it seems it would be similar in many ways to the HXDA.

Very cool, Hans!

I don't have a 25th, but it seems it would be similar in many ways to the HXDA.

Yup, the HXDA is basically the 25th without the attenuator rotary, and the HXDA switches added. In fact, you can send a 25th back to PRS and have them add the HXDA mods...

Yup, the HXDA is basically the 25th without the attenuator rotary, and the HXDA switches added. In fact, you can send a 25th back to PRS and have them add the HXDA mods...

So without the mods, is it basically the HX, the DA, or something in-between?

So without the mods, is it basically the HX, the DA, or something in-between?
Without the HX (Hendrix) switch or DA (Duane Allman on Live at the Fillmore East) switch, it's a tricked-out plexi circuit with an internally bridged 1st and 2nd channel (and some other goodies).

The transformer was created by CineMag and is a reverse-engineered copy of the one found in Eric Johnson's late 60's ('68, I think) Plexi.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;20904 said:
Without the HX (Hendrix) switch or DA (Duane Allman on Live at the Fillmore East) switch, it's a tricked-out plexi circuit with an internally bridged 1st and 2nd channel (and some other goodies).

The transformer was created by CineMag and is a reverse-engineered copy of the one found in Eric Johnson's late 60's ('68, I think) Plexi.

The HXDA is internally bridged, too, so it's similar in that way; I think the transformer is also CineMag, though I don't know if it's the one from the DA or the EJ Plexi. They're probably very similar sounding amps.

The HXDA is internally bridged, too, so it's similar in that way; I think the transformer is also CineMag, though I don't know if it's the one from the DA or the EJ Plexi. They're probably very similar sounding amps.

Pretty sure it's the same base amp, Les. The HX/DA was a custom option when I bought my 25th Anniversary head.

Not as visually stunning as Hans' but still a 25th matched set.

l.jpg

Back