0.10 gauge strings in PRS SE Zach Myers

• Thread starter Deleted member 14967
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14967

Hi guys,

Can I install .010-.046s in the Zach Myers or will the nut need filing? Couldn't seem to find an exact answer on Google.

Cheers,
Rich

I always just have the nut changed on my SE`s. I think that has been their weak point. I take it to a great luthier. He considers it the real hot spot on most guitars.

I have put 10s on several SE models, with no filing required.

To be fair, the SE nut doesn't live very long, on my guitars. I always change them out for Tusq or PRS Core...but for brief interim periods, I've never had issue with changing from 9s to 10s on my SEs....and I've never needed a file to make them work fine.

A buddy of mine has had a stock SE nut on his 245 for 2 years, with the original nut...and he plays 10s on it, beautifully.

I have put 10s on several SE models, with no filing required.

To be fair, the SE nut doesn't live very long, on my guitars. I always change them out for Tusq or PRS Core...but for brief interim periods, I've never had issue with changing from 9s to 10s on my SEs....and I've never needed a file to make them work fine.

A buddy of mine has had a stock SE nut on his 245 for 2 years, with the original nut...and he plays 10s on it, beautifully.

This is exactly what I needed to know. Cus from what I read it comes setup with 9s, so I wasn't sure. Cheers!

This is exactly what I needed to know. Cus from what I read it comes setup with 9s, so I wasn't sure. Cheers!
It does come setup with .009s. I did what the others did, had a Graphtech Nut put on my ZM for .010s. I can't play .009s, wet noodles N@.

It does come setup with .009s. I did what the others did, had a Graphtech Nut put on my ZM for .010s. I can't play .009s, wet noodles N@.

If the nut does cause problems, I guess i'll consider changing it but I just don't feel like spending money right off the bat if I can help it. Just wanna put some 0.10s in and go :)

I put 10s on my ZM, and didn't change the nut. Works fine for me. Adding some nut sauce (yes, that's really a product) to lubricate will help.

I checked my SE Chris Robertson signature a little while ago during a string change on one of my other fiddles. I didn't change the strings on the SE, but I did try to push 0.010 strings into their respective slots. Didn't seem to be any string binding whatsoever, so I think mine is good to go :)

I checked my SE Chris Robertson signature a little while ago during a string change on one of my other fiddles. I didn't change the strings on the SE, but I did try to push 0.010 strings into their respective slots. Didn't seem to be any string binding whatsoever, so I think mine is good to go :)
I put 10s on my ZM, and didn't change the nut. Works fine for me. Adding some nut sauce (yes, that's really a product) to lubricate will help.

Thanks for the reassurance! haha yes, I have some of that nut sauce, and will be using it for sure. Thanks!

I immediately changed from 9's to 10's on my ZM and it improved the tuning stability tremendously. I did not change or file the nut at all.

I immediately changed from 9's to 10's on my ZM and it improved the tuning stability tremendously. I did not change or file the nut at all.

Awesome! I also heard from another guy doing a review on Youtube, that the 10s improve the tuning stability a lot. Cheers for the feedback!

You'll know pretty easily(can even check without installing the strings). Loosen your current strings, take the strings out of the nut slots. Take the set of 10's, string by string, lay it into the corresponding nut slot and pull it up. There should be no "ping" when you pull the string up out of the slot. Skitchy did a video of this I think?

Referred to as "click" in the vid. around 1:50. He has it strung and tuned to pitch but you'll probably able to tell either way.

Last edited:
Yes, I totally agree 0.10 strings are perfect without modification on a Zach Myers. You also may change the nut after a few years, but it takes a while until its worn down.
Perfect guitar for Jazz/ Blues/ Rock by the way. I am really satisfied with the sound and quality .

Nov 20 : Great guitar, brass saddles . I will look closer to the bass string fit , just to make sure, nothing is running to tight in the saddle .

Last edited:
Back