Prs se silver sky and 12-52 strings

Lamekiwi

Hello, im planning in trying 12-52 elixir strings on my prs se silver sky but Im worried about it. Can it really handle that gauge strings? Im playing in E standard or Eb tuning. Have any of you tried that strings?

I haven't tried that gauge (I'm 9s and 10s except on acoustic), but I don't see any reason the Silver Sky SE wouldn't handle them. You'll likely need to adjust the trem claw and truss rod due to the greater pull, and checking the intonation would be a very good idea. None of those are difficult - just go slow. Good luck!

I haven't tried that gauge (I'm 9s and 10s except on acoustic), but I don't see any reason the Silver Sky SE wouldn't handle them. You'll likely need to adjust the trem claw and truss rod due to the greater pull, and checking the intonation would be a very good idea. None of those are difficult - just go slow. Good luck!
Yeah thanks mate, gonna try it

I'd add you might find the larger gauge strings bind in the nut, possibly causing tuning problems when you use the trem. The slots can be made bigger, but I'd first suggest making sure you're happy with the new gauge strings overall before breaking out the files (or bringing it to a luthier to do it for you).

Back