You don't need a cure for the Acid Reflux Delay

The guy starts out by saying he doesn't understand how delay pedals work, and that he's never had one he knew how to operate.

Fair enough.

But then why would anyone be interested in what he has to say about delay pedals? He's a complete novice!

As if to prove his lack of knowledge, he set it up way too wet on the overdriven tone. Just because some dude is on YouTube doesn't mean he should be giving advice on equipment, and I'm mystified as to why he considers himself an expert. Apparently he works in or owns a store, maybe he thinks that gives him a certain expertise.

Go watch Pete Thorn demo a pedal if you want to learn what it can do. He's a pro who really learns what a pedal does, understands how to use it in the context of a pro rig (which of course translates well to how to use it in an amateur rig), and takes the trouble to create a demo track showing how it's used.

Random Dude With Video Camera who knows nothing isn't exactly imparting useful information here.

Last edited:
The thing is Les Pete Thorn does not test every pedal out there.
While this guy lacks the pro view that Pete would give, he is testing out a USA hand wired pedal from a small pedal shop, and that alone earns points with me to watch it.
He mentioned it is a rare pedal since the guy does not mass produce them.

I for one enjoy seeing non pro player vids about as much as watching better ones from Premier Guitar with the guy who uses his PRS in the vids.

The thing is Les Pete Thorn does not test every pedal out there.
While this guy lacks the pro view that Pete would give, he is testing out a USA hand wired pedal from a small pedal shop, and that alone earns points with me to watch it.
He mentioned it is a rare pedal since the guy does not mass produce them.

I for one enjoy seeing non pro player vids about as much as watching better ones from Premier Guitar with the guy who uses his PRS in the vids.

Well, the thing is that he really doesn't understand delay pedals. I agree that it's nice to learn about a particular rare pedal, but we don't actually learn much about the pedal when someone doesn't understand its operation.

I have nothing against an amateur review - heck, I post reviews here often and I'm nothing/no one special. But I would not review something I don't understand how to operate.

Delay pedals are awfully simple in most cases. They have knobs that handle volume, number of repeats, speed of the repeats, and the ratio of wet to dry signal. That's not very much to learn about. A few have more sophisticated tweaks, but those are usually on fairly advanced pedals and aren't necessary to the basic operation of the pedal.

If this guy can't get his head around the simple, basic operation of a delay pedal, why does he take it upon himself to then review a pedal for other folks and put his review on the web? It's like a person who's never learned to play guitar reviewing guitars!

He also doesn't understand that a pedal like the Carbon Copy is supposed to change your tone, it's a vintage style bucket brigade delay. People buy it for that reason! Of course, he doesn't know that. So in a way, he's just spewing BS.

I guess BS is OK. But I somehow feel a need to call it out. Hopefully you're OK with my comments, if not, I'll delete them.

I am OK with them.
I think maybe he said he did not understand delay pedals but may have not meant it the way he said?
I am not really sure.

I am just a hobbyist at most playing guitars, but I do know how to operate my two TC X4 delay pedals.
One of these days I still owe the forum here an amateur players review of my Fryette Power Station.
The only thing is I am embarrassed by my playing compared to others on here who actually gig and know what they are doing :D
Heck I am still trying to get down the opening part to AC/DCs Hells Bells correctly.
Maybe when I get some spare time (off the following week on vacation) I can use the Roland Cube Jam app I installed on my iPad Air and slow down the intro part that Angus plays and get it 100% correct.
I can play something that sounds awfully close, but it is not perfect.
The rhythm part is easy though.

Back