Yet another trem question...

Casi1

Hey guys,

Has anyone confirmed the trem bridge /block/saddle materials for the different PRS models?

Of all my PRS instruments, I love the tone of these two the best:
2011 PRS DC3
2014 S2 Custom 24

Recently, someone mentioned to me that both of these models have steel trem blocks. Does anyone here know if thats true? PRS site doesnt seem to get into trem materials for pre-Gen III trems. I'm also curious about the saddle material.

After the DC3 and the S2, my next favorite tone-wise, is my 2014 Custom 24... But I figured that one has both a brass block and saddles.

Could it be that I simply prefer a steel trem and that I should replace the brass in the Custom 24 (and my SAS NF) with a steel block (and steel saddles) to make it even more awesome?

What are your thoughts?

It's hard to say... different guitars just sound different sometimes. I like my S2 standard with a John Mann NOS2000 trem, but I'm fine with the steel block trem in my S2 Semi. What is it you like more about your S2 Custom vs the core?

It's hard to say... different guitars just sound different sometimes. I like my S2 standard with a John Mann NOS2000 trem, but I'm fine with the steel block trem in my S2 Semi. What is it you like more about your S2 Custom vs the core?

It just seems like the sustain is perfect... A chord die off is not too short and not too long. The brightness is almost the same on both with the s2 being a bit less 'full' sounding. I should say up front that my ear will always say that a strat sounds better than a les paul... I think my ear doesnt care for the typical full sound.

I was thinking of getting a Mann Made NOS trem for my SAS NF. Why did you prefer the Mann made over the stock S2 bridge for the standard? Did it change the tone?

Yeah, the blocks on both those guitars are steel. The saddles on the DC3 are also steel, whereas the SE/S2 are cast brass I believe.

I was thinking of getting a Mann Made NOS trem for my SAS NF. Why did you prefer the Mann made over the stock S2 bridge for the standard? Did it change the tone?

The Mann is a one piece, whereas the PRS is two. The S2 is also the Korean version, I believe. I have two of the MannMade NOS in a couple of project guitars, so I can't comment on the change in tone. I started with two bodies, and no parts.

It just seems like the sustain is perfect... A chord die off is not too short and not too long. The brightness is almost the same on both with the s2 being a bit less 'full' sounding. I should say up front that my ear will always say that a strat sounds better than a les paul... I think my ear doesnt care for the typical full sound.

Interesting... I would say I've had the same experience comparing most S2/SE vs core guitars, or even my S2 Semi being more full sounding than other S2's.

I switched to the Mann bridge on my Satin 22 because I felt it was too upper-mid focused, wanted more fullness from the lower strings. I guess I would call it "thrashy" sounding, which would have been great for that kind of music, or country as it had some twang. I also switched the bridge pickup to a 59/09 from the #7, for the same reasons. I wasn't scientific enough about it to make one change at a time and really evaluate them individually, but the guitar definitely fits "my sound" more now.

If you want to change the sound of your core custom, depending on what you're using right now, I would recommend trying some different strings. If your wound strings sound warmer, fatter, or less focused/defined than you want, and you're using the PRS recommended all nickel strings, try a set with nickel plated steel on the wound strings. They have more attack and dump some of the fatness. My Mira soapbar and S2 Custom Semi are both very full sounding guitars, so I made that change with them and it's brought the tone right to where I want it.

Interesting... I would say I've had the same experience comparing most S2/SE vs core guitars, or even my S2 Semi being more full sounding than other S2's.

I switched to the Mann bridge on my Satin 22 because I felt it was too upper-mid focused, wanted more fullness from the lower strings. I guess I would call it "thrashy" sounding, which would have been great for that kind of music, or country as it had some twang. I also switched the bridge pickup to a 59/09 from the #7, for the same reasons. I wasn't scientific enough about it to make one change at a time and really evaluate them individually, but the guitar definitely fits "my sound" more now.

If you want to change the sound of your core custom, depending on what you're using right now, I would recommend trying some different strings. If your wound strings sound warmer, fatter, or less focused/defined than you want, and you're using the PRS recommended all nickel strings, try a set with nickel plated steel on the wound strings. They have more attack and dump some of the fatness. My Mira soapbar and S2 Custom Semi are both very full sounding guitars, so I made that change with them and it's brought the tone right to where I want it.

Hmmm. See I kinda like that upper mid thing, lol... My EQ pedal, when I use it, typically bumps this section. The last thing I would want to happen is for the low strings to get fuller so maybs the NOS bridge isnt the best choice for me and I should go with a steel block/steel saddle combo instead. I can't find steel PRS saddles to save my life... I do know that Wudtone sells a stainless set but they are so far away.

The biggest draw for the NOS bridge for me is its one piece construction but I can do without that if the tradeoff is going to be a fuller fatter warmer sound.

Right now all of my trem equipped guitars have either NYXL nickel wounds or Curt Mangan fusion nickel wounds. I love the sound and bendiness of the NYXLs but I cant seem to get over the feel of the mangans. Both sound good to me and the Mangans are way cheaper (but I do have to go down a gauge size with them due to tension differences). By the way, Curt has had major sales going on this month. Theres still one in progress...

I'm hesitant to do anything to the DC3 or the Core Custom 24 because... they've been touched by the PRS leprechaun. So my theory is that theres a secret dungeon at the PRS factory and in this dungeon is a trapped (but humanely treated and well cared for) leprechaun who can bestoy magic mojo on a guitar. When the guitar is handed to the leprechaun, he plays it and like magic, the guitar gets mojo. Every guitar doesnt get this magic mojo; only some but not all guitars are chosen to be taken to the leprechaun.

I'm convinced that my DC3 and my Cu24 were played by the leprechaun. My other PRS instruments didnt make the trip to the dungeon so no mojo, hence the mods.

I have the John Mann on my SE Custom 24 30th Anniversary. It is my favorite over the other PRS trems I have. The only one I don't have is a Gen III. For some weird reason, I think the milcom gives greater note separation than the others, and just vibrates and sustains unbelievably. I'm mostly a humbucker player, so I want the big sound.

I have the John Mann on my SE Custom 24 30th Anniversary. It is my favorite over the other PRS trems I have. The only one I don't have is a Gen III. For some weird reason, I think the milcom gives greater note separation than the others, and just vibrates and sustains unbelievably. I'm mostly a humbucker player, so I want the big sound.

Its interesting that theres greater note separation. I wonder if thats mainly due to the solid 'one block of metal' construction as opposed to the metal material attributes. I guess I will try one of the NOS/milcom trems when they get back in stock. I could always sell it if I dont like it. I could also stick some titanium saddles in there to brighten it if need be. I will use my SAS as the test dummy. Sounds like a plan!

Back