Yet another EH B9 review (w/CU24)

aristotle

Hopefully Les won't yell at me for posting yet another B9 review :) But this one at least has a PRS in it!

Kidding aside, looking at the stuff online, I was curious enough to pick one up. My initial impressions are:

1. I don't like the thing at all through a PA. It sounds weird and lifeless. I was planning on running the dry output through my chain and the effects output straight to the board. Unless I figure something else out, it'll be just another pedal on my board through whatever amp I'm playing. I've only used it through my JTM-1 head through a PRS 2x12 so far, but sounded great that way (the JTM-1 was set clean).

2. As a live pedal (which is why I want it), setting #6 is the most flexible because it responds very well to guitar volume, going from a sort of Pink Floyd mood background thing to full-on Deep Purple. The rest are more of a one-trick pony, and I don't feel like bending over every time I want to change the setting (would be nice to be able to cycle through the different voices via the foot switch.)

3. The thing really is a bunch of fun to play with. The reality is that there will be maybe 3 or 4 songs that I'll use this on in the band, but you can easily kill an hour making noise with this thing.

4. I'm sure that this would be a great tool for guitarists who like to record their own stuff but don't want to fool around learning keyboards.

It's a novelty, and maybe not worth the bucks if you're on a budget since it won't change your life. I'm happy that I got one though.

Spent way too little time on this, so it's very rough, but it's what it sounds like out of the box through a small-watt amp (which is plenty loud for home use...)

p2_zps1e22a4ee.jpg

p1_zps9bcb4dd2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no need for one, but that was way cool. Plus it must travel better in a gig bag than a keyboard player.

As gimmicky as it is, I still find application in a few of our songs, too. The B3 setting on the Epitome was ok, but nothing as good as what you got. That's why I sold it. I might have to give this one a serious look. Sweet video, btw. :cool:

I like this pedal, as I can use it to create backing tracks at my home. Does anyone know of any similar type pedal that can produce keyboard / synth sounds???

Back