Would you return this guitar?

Sorry my wording is bad. The guitar came in a case but the trem arm wasn't in it. The wood and finish is perfect, especially now the neck has been treated so I am confident it is new. But I agree, I can't see how a wonky pot got through quality control. I noticed it within minutes of picking it up
Nope, I think I mis-read it! You were indeed referring to the trem arm! Hope you get the CU24 fixed within reasonable time!

The pots shouldn't make a popping noise. None of mine do. But as you might know, in shipping parts are exposed to temperature and humidity changes, and in stores, same thing plus customers trying them out. So it's very possible that a switch could get some dirt or corrosion in the contacts, or get damaged, or just be out of spec.

PRS doesn't make switches and pots, they have suppliers like Switchcraft and Bournes who supply that stuff.

PRS will stand behind the guitar 100%, and they'll replace a wonky pot, too. Call Customer Service, they will even arrange to have the instrument picked up and they'll replace any faulty part.

They're great about this stuff.

I have emailed PRS and spoke to the dealer again today. The dealer have been really good but they think it may just be the design of the selector switch. Trouble is I have not got another one to compare it to. Are the selectors usually silent on these?

The dealer may be polite, but if that was their answer they have not been really good as you say. Them telling you "that's just the design" is code for "we don't want to deal with this and make it right".

It's not the design and yes the switching should be completely silent through your amp if it's a new guitar.

The main problem I have is I live in England. I am guessing that in the US PRS have a bigger infrastructure. I am actually disappointed in PRS's customer service. I originally took my guitar in to the dealer with a wonky pot and a dry fretboard. The dealer told PRS about the pot and I also emailed the general manager so they had been told twice. It was 11 days before I got my guitar back. The fretboard had been treated and looks excellent now, but the volume pot is still wonky. It looks like I am going to have to send it away again now and be without it for another 2 weeks. The annoying thing is, I went into the store to buy a 2016 Les Paul Standard. I ended up playing a Custom 24 and ordered one of those instead as I had heard horror stories about the new Gibsons being badly made. Looking back at it now, the Les Paul I played was faultless. I am sure I am in the minority and have just been very unlucky, but I have still paid £2659 for a guitar in worse condition than my £700 2004 Gibson SG that has been gigged with for 10 years. I really hope they rectify it as I am quite disillusioned with the brand. Buying a guitar like this for me is a once in a life time opportunity as it's very expensive. So far I am regretting it. On the plus side, they are beautiful guitars and it holds it's tune better than anything I have ever played.

I bought my custom 24 from andertons( Guildford),don't know where about's you got your's but these people are terrific.bought a lester there last april tunner buggered up they were more than happy to change it excellent customer service hope you have the same result my friend.

That instrument is no good, PRS or not. The dealer is also no good asking if it's a design flaw, really? You sell PRS guitars and ur asking if the switch should be silent, really? I would give that guitar back for a full refund and then go buy a PRS from guitarguitar or something.

i will add my PRS' electronics weren't the best either, I gutted it though and changed pickups and everything.

I bought my custom 24 from andertons( Guildford),don't know where about's you got your's but these people are terrific.bought a lester there last april tunner buggered up they were more than happy to change it excellent customer service hope you have the same result my friend.

Hi. I didn't get mine from Andertons but the shop I did get it from are very good. I have sent an email to PRS UK saying I am not happy and chose this over a Les Paul so hopefully they will get it sorted

Just out of interest, have you noticed any noise when selecting pickups?

Hi. I didn't get mine from Andertons but the shop I did get it from are very good. I have sent an email to PRS UK saying I am not happy and chose this over a Les Paul so hopefully they will get it sorted
here's wishing you all the best,its the best iv'e had the pleasure to play so far.

Just out of interest, have you noticed any noise when selecting pickups?
None what so ever everything's spot on you're predicament stink's wish I could help!!

Even my Korean PRS are basically faultless. I`m thinking this may have been a returned guitar, and nobody at the dealer bothered to look at it. I would talk to the owner of the dealership. Unlike Spartacus, the electronics on my old core Mira have been great, except for the usual bar induced trauma you get from gigging. This is totally unlike PRS. In 50 years of guitar playing, none of my big name guitars even came close to PRSi in quality and intonation. I`ve drunk the kool aid, and I`m glad I did. If the color and the neck are to your liking, Consider these problems as speed bumps in the road, not obstacles.

The main problem I have is I live in England. I am guessing that in the US PRS have a bigger infrastructure. I am actually disappointed in PRS's customer service. I originally took my guitar in to the dealer with a wonky pot and a dry fretboard. The dealer told PRS about the pot and I also emailed the general manager so they had been told twice. It was 11 days before I got my guitar back. The fretboard had been treated and looks excellent now, but the volume pot is still wonky. It looks like I am going to have to send it away again now and be without it for another 2 weeks. The annoying thing is, I went into the store to buy a 2016 Les Paul Standard. I ended up playing a Custom 24 and ordered one of those instead as I had heard horror stories about the new Gibsons being badly made. Looking back at it now, the Les Paul I played was faultless. I am sure I am in the minority and have just been very unlucky, but I have still paid £2659 for a guitar in worse condition than my £700 2004 Gibson SG that has been gigged with for 10 years. I really hope they rectify it as I am quite disillusioned with the brand. Buying a guitar like this for me is a once in a life time opportunity as it's very expensive. So far I am regretting it. On the plus side, they are beautiful guitars and it holds it's tune better than anything I have ever played.

You could call up PRS Europe in Cambrigeshire. They have a tech center, too. They modified my PRS 513 due to Paul's Order.
I could handover the e-mail address of the head of tech center.

Last edited:
You could call up PRS Europe in Cambrigeshire. They have a tech center, too. They modified my PRS 513 due to Paul's Order.
I could handover the e-mail address of the head of tech center.

Cheers mate. I have been dealing with them. That's where my guitar went back to and when it came back the volume pot was still wonky. I sent them an email on saturday so I will see what they say tomorrow when they pick it up

Have you pulled the knob and looked at the shaft itself? I just ask because I had a new guitar come in and I thought it was the same thing. Turns out the knob was wonky and not the shaft. Sorry if you've already done this and I overlooked it.

Have you pulled the knob and looked at the shaft itself? I just ask because I had a new guitar come in and I thought it was the same thing. Turns out the knob was wonky and not the shaft. Sorry if you've already done this and I overlooked it.

Yes I have. Cheers anyway mate. It is definitely the shaft. It's not much but it's annoying none the less.

I am sure I am in the minority and have just been very unlucky, but I have still paid £2659 for a guitar in worse condition than my £700 2004 Gibson SG that has been gigged with for 10 years. I really hope they rectify it as I am quite disillusioned with the brand. Buying a guitar like this for me is a once in a life time opportunity as it's very expensive. So far I am regretting it. On the plus side, they are beautiful guitars and it holds it's tune better than anything I have ever played.

One should never keep a purchase one regrets if it can be returned. What's the big deal? Just send it back.. Simple solution.

This isn't a matter of the guitar itself, it's a matter of your expectation of perfection being disappointed. So even if they replace the pot and switch, as they ought to, and make the guitar perfect in every way, you won't be happy. You've already had the headache of sending it back. If you send it back again, and wait, you'll just be angrier and more upset, especially if it doesn't come back exactly as you'd hoped.

Return it. Get something you have more confidence in!

Send it in or return it. Make the dealer take care of it. No excuses.

I played a sweet new C24 at the platinum room at GC and the selector switch was bent to hell. Definitely took a hit at some point. Not cool.

I have just noticed this as well. A brown smudge on one of the birds. Surely this is not right?

That's what I though at first, but it's not on any other picture of the same model as mine and it's only on that one bird. It sticks out as abnormal

Back