Would you buy this guitar?

hord1080

I have been looking for a reasonably priced Wood Library type Custom 24 for a while and think I found one at Guitar Center. The only problem is I called the store to confirm what is potentially a rub - it appears that the last owner may have installed a mini toggle switch aftermarket. Would a guitar like this ever have come what appears to be a single mini toggle? Otherwise it looks like an amazing guitar for me. I know they have a great return policy but something about this type of mod (if it's true) might turn me off. It also looks to have a custom wood back plate.

Maybe a sweet switch or coil tap? Could have been special ordered with a switch. I’d take a chance since you’ve got 45 days to return it if you don’t want to keep it. I’ve ordered used from GC and returned without hassle or questions. I’ve don’t it twice, once because the neck set was bad and misaligned, and the second because I didn’t care for the sound. You can return it to any GC, don’t have to return it to the original store. Go for it! Nice looking guitar.

I’d take a chance. Good price for a wood library and like JCBeard pointed out, GC allows you to return it without hassle.

Did they do a 24 piezo model? Aren’t the piezo toggle for the P models in the same position?

I don't see a blade switch. Low-res photo with bad lighting, but it looks like it has a rotary selector.

OP, if you fancy it, buy it. The worst that you'll be out is shipping. Only buy for resale if it's a smoking deal on something you don't want to keep. Everything else will be a wash or close enough that it doesn't matter.

I've bought five GC guitars in the year or so. Kept 4 and returned 1 with no questions asked and was out only $25 for the shipping. In each case I called the store and got as much info as I could but having the 45 day hands-on option was really helpful to make sure each was the right call.

I agree with @dogrocketp that you'd probably take a hit on reselling it later but I haven't researched those specific models for prices. Also they may be willing to deal if you ask. Even if they don't you can always wait and see how much the price drops over time. I watched this 2015 P245 for nearly a year as the price dropped by more than 25%.

Gorgeous guitar either way.

Thanks all. Yeah I think the price is good so it's not really about selling it for a profit or loss, but some buyers (like me) might be wary of any modification that is not from the factory and I would be more worried about finding a potential buyer at break even-ish. I guess theoretically the old owner took it to a luthier and they drilled a hole in the top to add the toggle and modded the wiring. I guess will need to get it in my hands and assess it properly.

Thanks all. Yeah I think the price is good so it's not really about selling it for a profit or loss, but some buyers (like me) might be wary of any modification that is not from the factory and I would be more worried about finding a potential buyer at break even-ish. I guess theoretically the old owner took it to a luthier and they drilled a hole in the top to add the toggle and modded the wiring. I guess will need to get it in my hands and assess it properly.

Play it… have a close look… open the control cavity. It really doesn’t matter much if it’s factory, a luthier, or an owner doing it well.

Best of luck… hope it’s a match for you!

Call the store. It’s worth asking for a discount if it’s a non factory mod since it’s drilled through the top. They are asking the going rate for an unmodified guitar. Search eBay sold listings- there’s 3 $3350-3800. Ya never know, maybe they knock off a few hundred. Some stores are cool like that.

Mmm ... I was looking at this too and took the plunge. (The extra 10% over an already reduced price pushed me over the edge) I actually called the store and the associate said he thought that the toggle was installed by the PTC. I am going to call PRS as I have had great customer service experiences with them. Either way GC has a great return policy, which I've had to use once on a guitar that was not what was advertised.

Mmm ... I was looking at this too and took the plunge. (The extra 10% over an already reduced price pushed me over the edge) I actually called the store and the associate said he thought that the toggle was installed by the PTC. I am going to call PRS as I have had great customer service experiences with them. Either way GC has a great return policy, which I've had to use once on a guitar that was not what was advertised.
BOOOO!! beat me to it I was just going to pay :mad: I will add that this was listed for awhile at a GC in FL and must have been returned and found it's way to MA.

Back